That Was Her Life

A Fangirl's Dream

*Taemin’s POV*

Waiting. It’s the worst kind of torture. Someone knows what’s going on, somewhere, but you’re just kept in the dark. You want to know everything you can, but you die a little inside when they tell you things aren’t looking good. Then it’s back to waiting. Waiting… torture.

“Mr. Lee Taemin?”

“Yes!” I jumped up. “How is she? Can I see her?”

“I’m sorry,” said the nurse, “but Carolyn is not ready to be seen. We just need you to answer a few questions seeing as you saw everything that happened.

“Okay,” I said solemnly.

I followed the nurse into a private room where a doctor was waiting for us.

“Now we’ll start simply with: What exactly happened?” the nurse asked.

“Well, she stepped out from behind our car, but the alarm was going off so she didn’t hear the mustang. She stepped out and the car… it… I…,” hot tears stung at my eyes. “I- I’m sorry. I can’t do this.” I finally broke down.

“Mr. Lee, we need you to answer. It’s essential-,”

“What do you people want from me?!” The nurse was cut off by a harsh voice as a man and another nurse entered the private room. “I swear I don’t know nothin! She went off on some vacation or whatever. I dunno what she’s done since, and I don’t really care!”

“You must be Carolyn’s uncle,” said the doctor who stood up to shake the man’s hand.

The man ignored the gesture. “Yeah, yeah I’m her uncle, send me the medical bills and let’s get the show on the road.”

THIS is Carolyn’s uncle?! THIS was her guardian for the past eight years of her life?!

“It’s not that simple,” replied the doctor. “We need you to give consent on an important operation. The surgery needs to be performed immediately, or Carolyn could never wake up from her coma.”

OMO…

“You’re probably just making all of this up to get my money,” the uncle rolled his eyes.

Finally I couldn’t take it anymore. “Mr. um… Carolyn’s Uncle! I am her very, VERY close friend Taemin and I am a singer back in Korea. I’m part of the contest she won, and I care deeply for her. If you give consent to the operation, I promise I’ll pay for it all. I’ll tell my manager to take it out of my paycheck until it’s paid off. Please? This is direly important for Carolyn’s health!”

“Can he do that?” her uncle asked the doctor.

“Well, we can try to arrange something with his manager. But we need your consent-,”

“Fine, do whatever you want. I don’t care. If this boy is paying then you can take her on a cruise if you want!” the uncle snapped before marching out of the room.

“Thank you,” the doctor said. “I promise we’ll do everything possible to save her life.”

They led me back out into the waiting room. The rest of SHINee and their girls had shown up and they all embraced me. Everyone was asking so many questions and trying to comfort me, but I blocked it all out.

That uncle didn’t care about Carolyn at all. That was her life. She lost her parents and had to live with that monster. How could someone as sweet, innocent and precious as Carolyn be put through that? She didn’t deserve any of it. She deserved to be loved.

“Taemin? Taemin?” suddenly Key’s face was right in front of me. “You zoned out for a minute. Everything’s going to be okay.”

I just nodded and sat down. The other members looked at me with concern, but I didn’t care. I had too much to think about. My beautiful yeoja chingu was somewhere in the hospital getting operated on, and here I was sitting in a comfortable chair, perfectly fine. Why hadn’t I reacted faster? Could I have gotten there in time to save her? Why wasn’t I the hero like in the movies? I just stood there and watched her get hit. I just stood there…

“Are you hungry?” Rebecca asked, squatting down in front of me.

I just shook my head and looked away. How could I think of food at a time like this? No; I just wanted to cry… and that’s exactly what I did.

*Rebecca’s POV*

Within seconds Taemin was crying into my arms. I was slightly shocked, but I tried to comfort him. It was hard to think of something to say. “Taemin um, it’s okay. Everything… everything’s going to be fine-,”

“You don’t have to say anything,” Taemin whimpered through his tears. “I just need a hug.”

“Shhh,” I squeezed him tighter and petted his soft, blonde hair. I had always thought of Taemin as being like a little brother or even a son, as crazy as that sounds. We sat like that for at least 20 minutes, Taemin crying like a baby into my arms. 

 

 

 

*I personally apologize for any grammar or spelling mistakes for this chapter or any of the previous few. I haven't had time to edit because I've been so busy, but I still wanted to update. Hopefully I will find some time to do so soon so it's not too aweful to read, haha. Nothing bugs me more than bad grammar >.< Anyway, hope you're enjoying the story! What are your thoughts on SHINee's new MV too?! Ahhh Dubu took ym breath away<3 c: