(OS) DOVE CHOCOLATE

collection of taeny one shots/multi shots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

DOVE CHOCOLATE
AUTHOR:ANONYMOUS

 

 

It was the first day of class for the school year of 1997. After the bell rang, the little eight-old boys and girls in their cute white and blue uniforms scattered around the classroom to find seats for themselves. Two special individuals happened to sit down next to each other two desks from the front row; the smaller girl on the right. As the smaller one dug around in her backpack to find her school notebooks and pencils, her desk-mate greeted.

“Hi, my name is Tiffany.” She said and smiled politely at her desk-mate.

The shuffling and digging stopped when she heard the unfamiliar language. She turned her head and looked at her desk-mate to make sure she was human and not an alien from outer space. The girl was indeed a human with short dark brown hair and side bangs and was smiling at her. The smaller girl stared at the alien girl with a mixture of confusion and helplessness. She looked towards the teacher then back to her desk-mate. She scratched her head, completely at a loss. She opened and was about to say something when she realized – she had no idea what to say. Not knowing what else she could do, she turned around and went back to digging for her notebook and pencils.

When her desk-mate turned around without responding, Tiffany’s smile dropped. It had only been a month since she had moved to this foreign country. She understood the language since her parents spoke it at home but that was about it. Not yet given up, the girl reached into her backpack side pocket and pulled out two pieces of chocolate. She placed one of them on the desk on the side of her desk-mate.

The piece of chocolate caught the smaller girl’s attention as she lifted her head up after pulling out her notebooks and pencils. She looked at the piece of chocolate, then at her desk-mate, and finally back at the chocolate.

“Chocolate.” Tiffany said.

After placing her notebook and pencils down, the smaller girl picked up the piece of chocolate then looked at her desk-mate.

“Cho-co-rae-tuh?” And she understood that word perfectly.

“Chocolate.” Tiffany said and pointed at the piece of chocolate then retracting her hand, she pointed to herself. “Tiffany.”

“Tip pah ny?”

“No, no. Ti fah ny”

“Tiphh ah ny.”

Knowing she won’t get much further than that from her desk-mate, she nodded and smiled.

“Taeyeon.” She said and pointed to herself. A smile finally appeared on her face, erasing the confused looked she had earlier.

That was their first their first encounter with each other, and it was their most memorable moment. They soon became best friends despite the language barrier. They went to the same schools up till their last year of high school and were practically together every single moment of their lives. “Best friends” would be an understatement according to their other friends. They liked it that way – simply because they are happiest when they are with each other.

---

“Taeyeon-ah,”

“Hmmm?”

“Will you miss me?”

The question stricken a sense of awkwardness in the atmosphere as the two teenagers walked the from store to store inside a shopping mall. Her finger fidgeted but continued to window shop and avoided the question as if it had not just been asked.

“You haven’t said anything about it since you heard the news.” Tiffany confronted and turned to face her best friend who still refused to look at her.

“Let’s not talk about it now.” Taeyeon responded, avoiding the topic. She really didn’t want to talk about it. Not then at least.

“Yah. I’m leaving Korea for two whole years and yet you act like it’s nothing.” Tiffany raised her voice, refusing to let it slip.

Tiffany’s dad recently accepted an offer to work on a project in the States, and the entire family would relocate with him until the end of the project. Taeyeon had been avoiding the subject since the news broke out two weeks ago. She didn’t want to think about it. She didn’t want to believe that it was really happening. The thought of Tiffany, whom she has spent every day of her life with for the past ten years, parting from her side, frightened her. She was afraid that if she continued to mull the topic over that she would find herself in tears. Therefore, she avoided it at all costs. And she wasn’t going to let Tiffany ruin her plan either.

“I really don’t want to talk about it.” Taeyeon reaffirmed herself. Annoyance in her voice was clear and understood.

“Fine.” Tiffany said in spite. “Well, I hope you have fun not talking about it by yourself. I’m going home, alone.” She claimed then quickly walked away.

“Yah!” Taeyeon was about to chase after but knowing that would eventually bring up the topic again, she decided not to. She knew of another way to cheer her best friend up and has chosen that approach instead.

---

Taeyeon arrived at her best friend’s house with her weapon in her hands. A bag of Dove chocolates was all that was needed. Tiffany has had a long faithful love for those Dove Dark Chocolate Promises. She said it was not the chocolate itself that has made her love them so much but rather the messages written on the wrappers of each and every piece of chocolate in the package. At first Taeyeon couldn’t understand what was written on the wrapper of the first piece of chocolate that Tiffany had given her during their first encounter but after eating them so many times and recognizing that it was the same message, she eventually figured it out. The message was rather simple yet it marked the beginning of the beautiful friendship between her and Tiffany and was memorable for the both of them. Smile! Today is going to be an amazing day.

“어머니*.” Taeyeon greeted Tiffany’s mom as she entered the house.

*Omoni (어머니) means “mother” but it can be used for properly addressing older women

“Ah, Taeyeon. Tiffany is in her room. She seemed a bit unhappy, what did you do to her this time?” She asked in a jokingly voice then allowed Taeyeon to head to the room of her daughter.

Knock. Knock. She knew Tiffany wasn’t going to answer and so she opened the door on her own will. They were already too close for formalities anyways.

When Taeyeon opened the door, she saw that Tiffany was sitting on her bed with her back against the wall while reading a book. The latter did not even remove her eyes to look at Taeyeon. After shutting the door behind her, Taeyeon made her way towards the bed. She sat down on the bed next to Tiffany and covered her face with the bag of Dove chocolates she’d brought along with her. Usually that would do the trick but this time, Tiffany didn’t even say a word. Tired of waiting for a response without being able to see as the bag of chocolates was on top of her face, she removed the bag and opened her eyes. Tiffany had already bought her own bag of Dove chocolates and wrappers were already all over her desk by that time. Taeyeon slapped her forehead in frustration. There’s no other way out for her this time. She had to face it.

“Tiffany,”

“What?”

“I know you’re probably not mad anymore since you ate like 10 of those already, so let’s talk.”

“Fair enough.” Tiffany removed the book from her face then closed it after she had placed the bookmark where she stopped reading.

Taeyeon sat up from the bed and looked at Tiffany. “Look, I haven’t said anything because I didn’t want to think about it. The thought of you leaving me really scares me.” She paused and let out a shaky breath, the thought of Tiffany leaving was becoming more of a reality.

“I’m scared of being without you,” She finally confessed.

Tiffany was in awed by Taeyeon then reached over and hugged her tightly. “I don’t want to leave you either, Taeyeon-ah.”

“Promise me, we will keep in contact with each other.”

“응*”

*Uhng (응) is a cute way of saying “uh huh” or “yes”

“Promise to call me often.”

“응”

“Promise to come to me whenever you need me.”

“응”

“Promise that we will be best friends forever.”

“…” Tiffany released the hug and looked at Taeyeon. “Best friends… forever…?”

“Yes…?”

“Best friends… forever…?” She put emphasis on the keyword.

“Do you not want to stay as best friends?”

“… If that’s what you really want.”

And Tiffany’s mood was ruined once again as she leaned back against the wall and grabbed Taeyeon’s bag of Dove chocolates. “Friends…” She grumbled and bit harshly into the piece of chocolate, snapping it in half.

“What’s wrong?” Taeyeon asked, completely clueless to the sudden change in Tiffany’s mood.

“You’re seriously asking me that?”

“Yes…?”

“Get out of my room. I don’t want to see you anymore.”

“Yah…Tiffany.”

“Out.”

Knowing she couldn’t win, Taeyeon reluctantly got up from the bed and made her way towards the door. She made sure to take one last look at Tiffany before exiting but Tiffany refused to even make eye contact with her. Defeated, she left the room and closed the door.

“Even after all of that, you’re only brave enough to tell me to be your best friend forever? Go to hell, Kim Taeyeon.” Tiffany muttered in frustration and buried her head under her pillow.

---

“So quick?” Tiffany’s mother asked when she saw Taeyeon came out from her daughter’s room. Since her husband was at work and dinner time was still far, she was spending her afternoon watching her current new favorite Korean drama on TV. Taeyeon’s appearance diverted her attention but she wasn’t too bothered by it.

“Stay for dinner.” She said after Taeyeon nodded to her question.

“No 어머니, she’s mad at me. In fact, I just got kicked out of the room.” Taeyeon said, quite embarrassed by it.

“You? Got kicked out of her room? Even with the bag of Dove chocolates?” She asked and arched her brow. “You’re joking.”

Taeyeon shook her head.

“Aigoo child, what did you do this time?” She held out her arm and signaled for Taeyeon to come over.

“I don’t even know myself, 어머니. Everything was going well when all of the sudden she got mad after I asked her to promise me that we will stay as best friends forever.” Taeyeon explained and fidgeted on the sofa as she expressed her frustration and confusion to the mother of her best friend.

The older woman understood why. She knew it all along. She knew her daughter had fallen in love with her best friend. It took her a year or even two to accept it. But she accepted it eventually.

She shook her head. “Taeyeon-ah, just ponder on it. Eventually, you will figure it out. Think about why someone so close to you could be upset after you’ve asked her to be your best friend…forever.” She advised and tapped Taeyeon’s hand lightly. She knew Taeyeon felt the same way and was dying to just tell the latter to go back into the room and confess to her daughter but she knew it was better to let nature take its course. Maybe she’ll help out if things just don’t improve between the two, she thought.

“Thanks,어머니.” Taeyeon said and smiled lightly as her mind continued to be in a state of confusion.

---

“No…that can’t be it.” She doubted while laying on her bed. Her eyes stared at the ceiling, her mind pondered, coming up with explanations as to why Tiffany reacted like she did earlier in the day. “Is it because she wants to be sisters instead?” She thought about it deeply then shook her head. “Oh! Maybe she likes me more than a friend and wants us to be a couple!” She joked then laughed to herself. “Yah, Kim Taeyeon, you make me laugh. Why would she like you…right? Or…does she?” She contemplated upon that idea then allowed her mind to drift off into one of their memories together.

~Flashback~

“Taeyeon-ah,”

“Hmm..?”

The two young teenagers in their 12th year of life were sitting on the sand with a scenic view of the ocean in front of them. Taeyeon on the left and Tiffany on the right, it was how they often sat when together. Light wind hit their faces with cool ocean breezes and blew their hair softly back and forth. Relaxing, they thought.

“Do you like me?” Tiffany asked shyly and looked down towards the sand.

“Of course! Tiffany is the person that I like the most.” Taeyeon replied, oblivious to the true meaning behind the question. She really meant it in the way that Tiffany had implied but she dared not to make it seem that way. She was convinced that Tiffany had only meant it in a friendly way, considering they were best friends.

“I really like you too, Taeyeon-ah.” Tiffany shyly confessed as her cheeks flushed. She then wrapped her arms around Taeyeon’s right arm and allowed her head to rest on her shoulder. She smiled, full of happiness.

When she felt Tiffany’s arms and head against her own body, Taeyeon was surprised. Did Tiffany really feel the same as she did for her? She did. Just then, Taeyeon risked what she thought might end their friendship if she had it all wrong and entangled her fingers into Tiffany’s hand. When Tiffany tightened the grip, she smiled. Happiness was with them both.

~End of Flashback~

“No…” She brought herself back to reality. “It was when we were still young and knew nothing.” She reasoned with herself. “She had a boyfriend when we were fifteen. It was only for a few weeks, but she did have a boyfriend.”

What she didn’t realize at the time and still to this moment is that Tiffany had already been tired of waiting for Taeyeon to ask her out. She waited years after years after years for Taeyeon to take their relationship to the next step, to make it official, to do more than just being next to each other. But it never happened. Taeyeon was too scared to do anything and Tiffany knew. And she was tired of waiting. So when Yunho, a pretty boy at their school, asked her out, she agreed to spite Taeyeon. Their relationship didn’t last long as Tiffany never found the happiness she felt with him as she did with Taeyeon. She didn’t want to waste his time and broke it off soon afterwards. She knew only Taeyeon could be that person. Her one and only love.

“Two more weeks and she’s gone. I won’t be able to see her for two years. Two whole years.”

---

Taeyeon didn’t think today was any different despite their little argument yesterday and arrived at Tiffany’s house to pick her up for school like usual.

“I’m here.” She spoke into her hand phone after Tiffany picked up the call.

“I’ll be right out.” Tiffany answered, before hanging up.

Taeyeon put her phone down and unlocked the door using the switch at the driver’s seat. She waited patiently for a few minutes before Tiffany came to view in her school uniform; blue skirt, blue coat, white shirt, pink and blue striped tie.

“Good morning.” Tiffany greeted after she sat firmly in the seat and closed the door.

“Good morning.” Taeyeon said and started the car.

The first few minutes of the car ride were awkwardly silent. Their morning rides to school were normally quiet too as Tiffany would try to squeeze in a few extra minutes to sleep, but this morning was just awkward. Both were awake, yet said nothing to each other.

“Still mad at me?”

“No.” Tiffany responded. “One of the Dove messages I read yesterday was ‘Don’t let anger rent a room in your head’ so I followed.”

“I see…”

“I apologize for acting like I did yesterday.” She suddenly spoke. “I shouldn’t have_”

“It’s fine. No worries. We’re best_...friends…”

“Yes we are. And we will be best friends forever, if that is really your wish.” She forced out a smile then settled herself in her seat and looked forward into nothing.

“Do you not want us to be?”

“Forget it. Yes I do.”

Car ride continued. Conversation stopped.

---

Eventually they made up with each other. For the next few days, the subject was completely dropped, an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter