Coma.

CheckMate.

“How nice -- to feel nothing, and still get full credit for being alive.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five 

 

A few minutes later my phone rang. “Mia Kai’s had a very bad head injury and his back is also in a bad state. They are presently carrying out scans to make sure there are no internal injuries. I’ll keep you informed if there is any news. Also it better that you don’t come now, D.O. is beyond upset. The guys are coming back to the dorm. Kris and Suho hyung are staying back with D.O. and me. I’ll call you before we come back to the dorm so you can leave.

Then you can come to the hospital to see Kai and also avoid Kyungsoo. Alright?” he asked. “Baekhyun I can’t thank you enough.” I said graciously. “Don’t worry I’m doing it for a brother.” he replied non-chalantly. “Brother?” I asked. “You’ll understand later. Now go take some rest, you’ll need to be ready when we leave.” he informed.  ‘Please be okay Kai. I’ll make sure this is the last time you’re hurt. I’m going to make sure the traitor pays.’ I promised him.  With that as my last thought I lay down mentally and let exhaustion take over me.  

 

I awakened to the sound of my phone ringing. “Mia could you please make breakfast?” Suho asked. “Sure I’ll do that. How’s Kai?” I asked him. “The scan results aren’t out yet. The doctors say there is a possibility of brain damage. He hasn’t gained consciousness yet and that’s worrying all of us.” He told me, voice cracking in the end.  “Suho Kai’s strong. He will pull through. You believe in him right?” I comforted him yet I did not believe in what I told him. “D.O.’s here, I’ll get back to you.” he whispered and hung up. I got up, showered and started on breakfast.  After finishing the pancakes that , I woke everyone up. 

Breakfast was a very somber affair since no one spoke. As I was putting the dishes away, my phone rang again. “Mia, only Kris and Suho hyung are coming back. D.O. won’t budge from here and I’m staying back too. You have no choice but to come with Xiumin and Luhan hyung.” he said dejectedly.  ‘Great. So now that I can’t see Kai without causing a scene. D.O. better not do anything before I lose my temper.’ Just because I actually like them didn’t mean I got rid of my anger management problems. 

As I was packing breakfast for Baekhyun and D.O. a subdued knock announced the arrival of the two leaders. Both of them looked like they had somehow survived a journey through hell and back. Suho walked straight to his room and Kris just stood near the entrance of Kai’s room. “Kris..” I called him and placed a comforting on his shoulder. He flinched at the contact and I quickly removed my hand. I turned away to see Xiumin making a cross with his hands. I walked past him to get my shoes and Luhan did the same.

On our way Xiumin suddenly explained, “He doesn’t dislike you. It’s just hard for him to handle rejection.” I just nodded showing that I understood. When we arrived at the hospital, we immediately made our way to the ICU.We saw Baekhyun and D.O. sitting on the couch outside Kai’s room. Baekhyun spared me a small anxious smile as he glanced at D.O. who was blankly staring at the wall. “Any news?” Luhan asked once we were in front of them.  D.O. got up to greet his hyungs just as his gaze landed on me.

“D.O. behave. That’s not how you treat a girl.” Luhan scolded him. “Hyung it’s all fault, if she had no—“ D.O. had just started to reason before a shrill voice interrupted him. “Kyungie! How’s my baby Jonginnie?” a woman asked, almost hysterical. “Anneyonghasaeyo ommonim.” the boys greeted and I bowed with them. “Is this the girl you were talking about?” she asked, eyeing me with distaste. “Ne..” D.O. nodded. She gave me a really hard slap. “If I see you anywhere near my son again, I won’t hesitate to use force to keep him away. God knows what spell you cast on him.” she snapped.

I my heels and walked away. ‘If I stay away from him, your baby won’t live.’ I scoffed. Suddenly I ran into Dr.Kwang, literally. “I’m sorry I didn’t see where I was going. How’s Kai now?” I bowed to him. “He’s in a critical state. If he doesn’t gain consciousness in the next twelve hours, he could slip into a Coma.” he answered solemnly. “A c-coma?” I asked, making sure I had heard right.

“Unfourtunately. Also ask Mike to come and see me. I want to check on his bullet wound. I’ll see you around.” he started to walk away. “His shoulder’s healed really well.” I informed Dr.Kwang. “Not that wound, I’m talking about the wound on his calf. That night I wasn’t able to pay proper attention to him since I was busy with Ryan.” he explained. “That very night?” I asked again to make sure. “He didn’t tell you?” Dr. Kwang looked surprised.  “I must have forgotten. I’ll pass on the message though.” I lied.  ‘A calf bullet that night.. it could mean..’ I suddenly realized.

 


 

A\N: What could that mean? :O

Happy Reading! (: