Impact.

CheckMate.
“No one knows for certain how much impact they have on the lives of other people. Oftentimes, we have no clue.” 
― Jay Asher, Thirteen Reasons Why 
 
 

Third person POV

Yet another flight landed at JFK International Airport. Just another girl stepped out from the flight and took a deep breath. The familiar smell tickled her senses and made her head buzz. She immediately quickened her pace and quickly completed all the security procedures. She doesn’t pick up her suitcase filled with clothes yet holding no trace of her; stepping out with only a backpack.

The routine was all too familiar to her as she stepped out and caught a cab. “Where to miss?” the man asked her, causing her to tear her eyes away from the scene outside. “Palisades Center please..” she answered without hesitation. She looked away again, staring at the people fleeting by; most too absorbed in their own little world to notice a tear streaked face of a stranger from a cab.

“Keep the change.” she said as she took out what she’d hoped was enough to cover the cost of the cab and then some more.  She stepped in easily blending in with the crowd eyes shifting through stores with no clear purpose. After an hour or so she steps into the washroom, swiftly entering a cubicle.

She comes out dressed in black and lines her eyes with charcoal black liner. She was apparently just another teen in her emo phase. She walks to the National Bank and steps into the elevator. Tracing a pattern on the secret keypad, she allowed the sensor to scan her retina for identification before the ride started.

The doors clicked open announcing her arrival as a few people stopped to look at her. No one greeted her though; anonymity was the way around there. She proceeded forward; head held high, her shoulders stiff.  Another set of doors clicked open as she entered without knocking.

A man stood in wait for her arrival. “I’ve been waiting to see you Agent Dustfinger.” he said, tone betraying nothing. She glared at him, jaw locked in placed. “I’m your New Director. It is not me who you should accuse for the mess.” he said before further misunderstandings. She faltered for a second before returning to the calm and stoic persona of hers.

“Inspite for all your efforts I’m afraid I have to let you go.” he frowned.  “Excuse me?” she spluttered, finally letting some emotion take hold of her. “Agents below 21 are not allowed to operate till they are of age. You can only be back here when you’re 21.” he explained. “I-I can leave?” she asked, a maniacal glint in her eye.

“You can’t leave the country for the next six months. Your passport shall be detained by us. We have arrangements including admission to NYU and an apartment ready for you till the next three years. Return your official ID and badge. All the details will be sorted out later in another location. You are no longer an active part of the CIA. Dimissed.” With that, there was the silence that marks the end.

 

Third person POV

“You need to read it. This isn’t helping you Kai. Please..” Suho asked Kai, shaking him. “I can’t hyung..” he replied simply, head hung low. “Pretending she’ll come back if you don’t read her goodbye letters won’t help hyung.” the maknae cried, trying his best to comfort the elder one.

Kai sighed as he slipped his hand under his pillow and pulled out her letters with trembling hands. They were addressed to EXO and him respectively. He trudged to the living room and threw himself down on the floor. He handed one letter to Kris who immediately pushed it to Suho. The leader took a big breath and ripped the envelop off. He cleared his throat and started to read.

Dear EXO

First, I want everyone to sit close to each other as this is read. Next, you have to make sure the person on your right smiles. Before all of you comply with these two requests you cannot proceed further.  

The boys looked at each other; some smiling bitterly while others just shook their heads. Suho just shrugged and proceeded further. 

This starts from Sehun oppa to Xuimin oppa. Yes for once I’ve decided to call all of you Oppa!

Sehun Oppa I’m sorry I was mean when my laptop broke. I promise never to get a better control over my temper but the bubble tea treat is still due. Your buing-buing can melt anyone’s heart! Thank you for being so nice to me and protecting me and I promise I’ll get in touch with Josh.

Everyone turned to Sehun as he clung on to Luhan to hide his tears. “If only you’d come back, I’ll treat you everyday..” he muttered softly. 

 

Kai Oppa we started off on the wrong foot but ended up the right way. I want to remind you to keep your promises no matter how difficult it is. Thank you for always being there for your Prince, Princess.

Kai put his head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder, wanting nothing more than to curl up on the floor. His resolve of not seeming weak in front of others was crumbling down too soon for his own liking. Suho cleared his throat and read on.

 

Tao Gege you were my first Oppa. Thank you for healing my ankle so well. You’re physically really strong so don’t forget that and let the boys bully you. Stay strong for mei-mei okay? Keep buying Gucci!

Tao let out a bitter chuckle inspite of the tears clouding his vision. “This is so Mia..” he said.

 

D.O. Oppa I’ve probably annoyed you the most with our countless arguments. I’m so sorry for all of that oppa! Aside from that, I’m going to miss your cooking so much! Kyungsoo oppa jjang! Take care of yourself and everyone else umma!

Remorse showed on his face remembering all the tension between them and him blaming her for everything. Tears of strain, remorse and grief dripped down his face just as he tightened his hold on Kai.

 

Chanyeol Oppa you are and will always be my Superman oppa who makes me smile and whirls me around like a doll. I’ve learnt to smile inspite of problems because of you and I’ll never forget that! Oppa you are in charge of keeping that smile on everyone’s face including yours!

Chanyeol smiled through misty eyes and his face shone with determination. He wasn’t the one to take this job lightly, he would do as asked.

 

Chen Oppa you always managed to dispel the tension and make me laugh no matter what! I’ll dress like a girl more often so you realize I’m not a boy! Talk about your concerns to the members more oppa, they’ll always be there for you.

“I actually trolled her to think she looked like a boy.. Pabo. Come back..” his voice cracked a little with the strain of making it sound cheery.

 

Baekhyun oppa didn’t I tell you I was no ordinary girl? Now you believe me right? Thank you for being the sane one in the house of crazies. I value eyeliner more because of you now; whenever I dress up I’ll always think of you.

Baekhyun couldn’t help but smile proudly at what Mia had said. He was the only one who could smile in the room. He knew what Mia did was for Kai’s safety and he respected that. 

 

Lay Oppa I’m going to miss your question sessions! I’ll never forget how quickly you found out I had skipped dinner and forced me to have breakfast. Even though your observation skills are great, don’t stress yourself out by worrying about everything. Take care of yourself first okay?

Lay ruffled his own hair and looked away. He couldn’t stand being there anymore with everyone looking so somber.  He had anticipated something like this from the time they found out the truth.

 

Suho Appa! I’m sorry for giving you so much trouble and always lying to you. Thank you for your concern and care. I know an apology doesn’t cut it for the mess I’m leaving behind but you’ll make sure everyone is happy right? Never change Leader Ho.

Suho stopped at that and took in a deep breath. The paper in his hand shook slightly showing his hands were trembling by now. He cleared his throat in an attempt to speak properly as he read on.

 

Kris Oppa you have always been so understanding about our situation. You sacrificed your own feelings for Kai and I; I cannot be more grateful. I now declare that I love pumpkin cheesecake and now cheesecake always reminds me of you. Oppa remember that thing I was right about? It was that you look so much better smiling. Keep similing okay?  

Kris got up and left the room. Even though he had tried to bury his feelings, it still hurt that she had left without telling them. He knew sure as heck he won’t be able to look at cheesecake for a long time to come without having memories claw at him.

 

Luhan Oppa you taught me how I should never lose hope and always keep fighting. You also taught me to try simple things once in a while, two things I’ll never forget. Oppa keep the hope alive in the members okay?

Luhan sighed at what she had said. He wondered how he was to keep the hope alive even when she had left without any trace. They had no hopes of ever seeing her again until if she came forward.

 

Xuimin Oppa you generally act like you’re not the oldest but I know from experience that you’re always keeping an eye on everyone. How else would you always figure out the secrets hidden behind my smiles? Also keep loving those baozis!

Xuimin smiled sadly as he remembered those times he had caught her hiding behind those fake smiles. He also realized he was the last one she had addressed so the letter was ending soon and closed his eyes.

 

As EXO is one together I wish you all the luck for all the opportunities you’re going to have in the future. I know all of you are so highly talented and hard working. Keep doing what you do the best and that is being yourselves for the fans. They all love EXO already but I’ll still be your number One fan. EXO Saranghaja!

Your Number One fan, Ina.  

 

Suho gingerly folded the letter, the only sound in the room being the one of paper rustling. They all sat in silence still reeling from the impact. Kai pushed himself up and left the dorm causing confused eyes to follow him. He immediately headed to the practice room. He sat down near the window where he had once waited hours for her to show up. He leaned his head on the wall and took out the letter and slowly opened the envelope careful not to rip it apart completely.

 

Dear Kai,

If you’re reading this then this means I’ve already left. It’s all so sudden I can’t even believe it myself yet. I know when the morning comes I’m going to be hoping you’re awake and I don’t get to leave. When I woke up in the hospital with no news of you I saw no reason to fight anymore. Yet here I am writing this to you because I’m leaving. Life works in such strange ways.

I know you’re doubting everything right now. You are wishing I had told you I was leaving but that would make things so much more difficult for me. I’m going to be selfish this time just so that I can leave. I want you to know your every touch is burned in my mind, every kiss etched into it and I’m never letting it go.

You have to move on Kai. There are better girls than me begging for attention, give them a chance. Find someone who’ll treasure you for all that you are. Don’t go back to the cold, mean Kai. You promised me remember? You can’t break promises. I’ll be watching from afar so you can’t cheat. Stay away from  alcohol. 

If you’re asking yourself if I regret falling for you the answer is no. I’m never going to regret the best moments of my life shared with. You can hate be all you want for leaving you but remember the promises. Work hard and make EXO, your family and me proud. Live your life like it’s your last day on Earth.

Don’t look for me. Mia isn’t even my real name. You’ll find nothing but trouble coming your way if you dig into my life. You don’t need all of that after whatever happened. I’m leaving only after making sure that no harm comes your way again so you don’t go inviting trouble.

I’m running out of time Princess. I know I’m leaving in just a few hours though I wish I could stay. Stay forever like this without a care in a world. You unknowingly make it so difficult for me to leave. You’re the only one who could make me flush with one touch and the only one who makes me unable to think straight  by just being around.  My only Princess.

Someday, I hope you’ll be able to look back and say, “There was this crazy girl I liked once. She saved me from a bunch of really bad guys. She wasn’t all that bad herself you know. I wonder how is she now though..”

Saranghae, Ina.

 

New tear stains marked the paper.

 


 

A\N: I keep breaking records with the chapter lengths.. I missed college today because of heavy rain and thus this chapter.. I couldn’t update because of college driving me crazy already. 

We’re very close to the end.. I don’t want it to end yet but nothing goes on forever right?

Anyway Happy Reading! (: