Memories.

CheckMate.

"No matter how much time passes, no matter what takes place in the interim, there are some things we can never assign to oblivion, memories we can never rub away. They remain with us forever, like a touchstone.” 

― Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore
 
 
 

After a minute I actually realized what he had said. I allowed myself a small giddy smile as warmth spread through my body. I heard a knock within a few minutes and I mentally debated if I should pretend to be asleep. All the courage I had shown a few minutes ago had disappeared as fast as it came. “Come in!”I reluctantly croaked and the door was opened to reveal Kai.

He shifted a little to reveal the only person who had ever slapped me. She brought back such horrible memories that I couldn’t coerce myself to smile. “Umma, noona this is Mia.” Kai said, beaming at me. It took a lot of tolerance to not go over and wipe that smirk off his face. “Mia, I must apologize for that day. I was so worried that day! My Jonginnie was in danger and Kyungsoo told me his version of what had happened. I’m sorry I shouldn’t have done what I did.” she said, resent clear in her tone.

“Mrs. Kim you really don’t have to apologize for that, I can understand what you were going through then as a mother.” I genuinely smiled at her. I was expecting her to come and demand an explanation for not protecting Kai better but she actually apologized. “Kai go get us some bubble tea.” his sister ordered him.

“Noona get some when you leave..I’m not going anywhere.” Kai stubbornly crossed his hands over his chest, still leaning on the door. “Mia you know when Kai was a kid he would love to put on makeup and dance to Pussycat dolls.” she stated. I couldn’t help but laugh as I imagined the scenario. “Noonaaa..!” Kai cried, looking shocked.

“Also when you had first come, he dreamt of you breaking your leg so that you get kicked out. He woke and called me up because he felt so happy in the morning!” “Noona! Stop it! I’m going! This is abuse. See how I’m bullied!” he grumbled as he left to buy bubble tea. “Bye Princess!” I teased as he was leaving, causing him to give me the evil eye.

 “Now we can finally talk without him guarding us!” she sighed as he left. ‘Oh no! I should have never let him leave!’ I realized too late. “Mom?” Kai’s sister said pointedly. “Mia I won’t hurt you so don’t look that scared. I just wanted to thank you for everything that you did. From taking bullets to landing up in this condition for Kai, you’ve done it all.

Kai was always the baby in the finally so we’re very protective about him. Even though both my daughters a lot, they would do anything for their baby brother. Thank you! I cannot imagine what would have happened if something had happened to him..” she sniffled. As his sister was about to say something, Kai barged in. “Here.” he the cups into their hands, turning towards me.

He looked at me carefully judging my reaction to whatever had happened while he left. I smiled to reassure him I was okay. “I think we should leave now.” Kai’s mother stood up. “Kai go drop them home.” I told him. “I can’t leave you here.” he protested. “Do as I say.” I glared at him, causing his sister to burst out laughing.

 He reluctantly followed his mother out, still grumbling about how I didn’t want him with me. “I don’t know what’s going to happen next since you’re an agent and all but thank you for returning my smiling brother to me. Be happy okay?” his sister said and left before I could ask her what she meant.

I decided to take this opportunity to call Eric. “Eric I need to talk to you.” I told him. “I was coming over as it is in a while.” he replied, tone betraying nothing. “Coming in.” he announced as he entered after a while. “I need you to listen before you talk. Questions in the end.” he said, looking distraught. I felt a wave of apprehension was over me as he cleared his throat.

“I spoke to the new Director. His orders are that we start returning as early as tomorrow because since the contract is over, we are not guarded by Korean security after today. He suggests that you leave first since you will be the first target of anything wrong happening. 

When I spoke to him about you wanting to stay here, he promptly shot down the idea. He warned me that he would make you leave even he has to use force because it’s for your own good. Then he proceeded about telling he how we are top priority agents and how the CIA values us.” he paused, taking in a sharp breath.

“As a brother and not a team leader, I would ask you to do as he says because EXO could get hurt if he uses his contacts to get you out of here. What you have with Kai; no matter how great it is, will never work. You are the target of all B.D.Scotts' remaining men, Kai could get hurt from being around you. This could endanger all of EXO! They could be used as baits and then you won’t be able to fight back. If you love Kai as much as you say you do, leave tomorrow.” he finished.

I had heard what he said yet it took time to sink in. “I have to leave if I don’t want him hurt isn’t it? I kept deluding myself that I had choice. I never had any.” I realized in a daze. “I’m sorry. I swear to God I tried to reason with him but it didn’t work out,” he said and pulled me into a hug.

“You need to be strong for all of them. They can’t know you’re leaving.” Eric told me. I nodded my head swimming with emotions and memories. “What time is my flight?” I choked out. “You leave at 5 am in the morning; I’ll be dropping you off.  Mike and I will follow you the very next day. You already know what to do next.” he said, leaving.  

I swallowed the big lump in my throat, drinking small sips of water to calm myself down. ‘Till tomorrow; just until tomorrow morning you need to be strong. Do this one thing for EXO.’ I steeled myself.  It was then I decided to make a call of help. “SangHee?” I spoke first, my voice cracking a little. “I need some help.” I said.  

 


 

A\N: This chapter is such a mixture of emotions. Sorry for the rollercoaster ride..

The next update will be on Sunday (for real this time since I have 2 days of holiday from college!)

It’s very, very close to the end and I wish I didn’t have to be this way T_T

Happy reading! (: