Family.

CheckMate.

"I'll never stop dreaming that one day we can be a real family, together, all of us laughing and talking, loving and understanding, not looking at the past but only to the future."

-LaToya Jackson 

 

SUHO POV

“Suho could I talk to you?” Kris asked, pausing on the way to the dorms after practice. “I need you to help me with something that Mia will like. I’m finally going to confess to her.” he said hesitantly. “Hyung not every girl is the same. Mia is the kind who will appreciate effort so just follow what your heart says. If it’s any consolation I don’t think she’s the very picky kind.” I advised. He frowned at my vague reply. “I’ll think of something.” he shrugged.

We resumed our way to the door to find all the members present but Mia missing. When I called her to find where she was, her phone was unavailable. Usually whenever she leaves, she sends me a text or leaves a note on the fridge but she hadn’t done either and her phone was unavailable. It was worrying to say the least. I could see Kris hyung nervously fidgeting while sitting on the couch and some other members discreetly looking at the clock trying to hide their growing concern. I tried calling her once more. This time it rang but she never picked it up.

 

MIA POV

I received a MMS from an unknown number while I was deciding if I should cook dinner for the boys. The clip showed Eric beaten up, tied to a chair, a rag stuffed into his mouth, eyes barely open. The camera then shifted to Jay Park; he was unconscious and had a busted lip. Like Eric he too was tied to a chair. I got up picking up two glocks just as my phone beeped again. There was a text number from the same number.

‘We could kill them right now. Unfortunately, we have orders to wait till a third warning is issued. If we were you, we’d just ask them to agree to our demands but well then we wouldn’t get to play. That’s no fun right? Come take them back. For you Mia, the offer to join us still stands.’  I picked up my backpack as I all but ran out the doors. On the way to the Base, I saw Ivy’s car tailing me so I knew the others had also received the message. Reaching the Base we see Mike had already tracked Eric’s glock which showed he was close to where Ivy was. It was another abandoned warehouse.

“Let’s follow the same plane like we did last time. Mia you know what to do, Ivy follow me halfway.” Mike said, taking a knife from one of the drawers with him. I did my job of informing the traffic officers again. Ivy had stopped as she waited mid-way. Mike reached the warehouse and we waited with baited breath. We wanted some kind of assurance that both Eric and Jay would be okay.  ‘They’ll be okay. I’ll take them to the hospital myself. Both of you get back. Mia try tracing the number and be extra alert. The wall says two down and two more to go.’ Mike had texted.

That made my heart sink in fear. I really don’t want Kai to be hurt.  Just then I noticed I had a missed call from Suho. I realized I had left without any warning. I drove to the dorm as soon as I could. I entered the dorm to see everyone sigh in relief. I caught Suho’s eyes to see them b with silent concern worry and apprehension. ‘If he’s like that with you, imagine what he will be like if something goes amiss with Kai.’ a voice in my head whispered.

I tried to sallow the lump in my throat and walked over to where he sat on the couch. I bent down and cautiously lowered my head till it rested lightly on his knees. “I know you want to scold me but can you I stay like this for a few moments before that?” I asked, tilting my head upwards to look at him. I could clearly see surprise etched on his face but he nodded anyway. CheckMate had me feel again. It was something I had stopped doing since that day. 

 

Flashback

“Sit down kids. We need to tell you something.” Dad had ushered me and Josh into the living room. We exchanged glances silently asking each other if we had any clue of what was going on. A small shrug let me know he knew nothing, like me. “We have decided to separate ways because your mother has found a new boy toy for herself” my father monotoned. “It’s only because I found you were sleeping with the new intern behind my back..” she spat at him. This came as shock for both me and Josh. We knew our parents were having issues but we never knew it was this bad.

“This is a joke right?” Josh had pleaded, hoping. Not a flicker of remorse crossed any of my parents’ faces. Rage plagued my blood and fire spread through my veins. “Did you think of us even once?” I asked them. My voice was steady and calm unlike what I felt inside. I had to stay strong for Josh. Silence throbbed in the room. Precious seconds were wasted as none of them spoke. However the answer was clear.

“None of you thought about your children.” I stated, for my benefit more than theirs. I was having a hard time letting that sink. That was the day I stopped feeling anything but rage for anyone but Josh. From that day I pushed myself to excel in everything I did in a miserly attempt to make my parents regret not caring enough for me or Josh. Josh on the other hand turned into an introvert who rarely spoke to anyone but me. 

Flashback ends

 

It made me want to have a family again. It made me remember how nice it is to have someone waiting for you to return home. Having dinner with someone other than myself and my shadow was a rare experience. It had made me crave company; something that I had grown wary of. It had made me weak to the point where I couldn’t even think of any of them getting hurt. They had wormed their way into my heart.

I connected to Kai on a level other than just being his Guardian. Like him I could understood the feeling of someone who you dearly love not caring for you. I stopped myself from pursuing that train of thought. After a mental countdown from ten to one I lifted my head up to se everyone’s eyes trained on me. “Now you can scold me.” I said. “Just don’t do it again. Now let’s go have dinner.” he smiled angelically at me. “I promise I won’t forget to leave a note anymore.” I said. 

 


 

A\N: Sorry for the late update :(

 My wifi isnt working.. I'll update asap.. Look forward to it... 

I got a LOT of hate for the last chapter.. Believe me, it shall all be explained in due time.. Everything happens for a reason isn't it?

 Happy Reading! (: