#3 - Jungkook x You

CLOSED: SEASON TWO: Send Me A Pairing/Bias And A Number And I’ll Write You A Drabble

#3 - “I can’t help but stare.”

Jungkook x You (Noona)

Word Count: 1601

This is actually based off of a real experience I've had ><

 

“Jeon Jungkook.”

 

Hair swaying from the force of whipping his head up at the call of his name, Jungkook stood up quickly, slipping his iphone into his front jeans pocket. He didn’t want to be here but the nagging from his mother about how their family history is strong in coronary artery disease and that grandpa died from a heart attack was relentless. Eventually, Jungkook listened to his mother, went to his primary care doctor for his annual and informed him that he’d also like to have a cardiology consult just to get a baseline of where he’s at considering the family history. His doctor had sadly agreed that it would be a good idea considering that recently his cholesterol was rising and it wasn’t a surprise he had high blood pressure. That also ran strong in his family and didn’t seem to skip out on him either. For now it was mild but it’s always best to keep an eye on things or so he was told.

 

Jungkook couldn’t see the woman who had called his name from the seat had he chose to sit in but as he got closer to the door, well, he was pleasantly surprised. She had a soft smile and bangs that framed her face in such a cute way. Maybe his appointment had just gotten a bit better. Smiling politely at her and a bit more genuinely than he normally would at the physician’s office, Jungkook followed her through the door.

 

“How are you feeling today?”

 

“Pretty good.”

 

“Oh that’s wonderful. My name is Yoon Hye, I’ll be the nurse rooming you today.”

 

The talk was standard and probably a speel for the nurse that Jungkook followed just a couple steps behind but your voice was soft and pleasant, he was actually a little more captivated than he wanted to be. The more you spoke, the more he noticed how sweet you sounded, acted. Everything you did was gentle, polite and felt genuine. He didn’t feel like he was just a number, you made sure to look at him while you were speaking to him and not just in front of the computer that was in the room for you to document on. You, took his vitals, asked him a few questions in between. Even broke into a short giggle at the joke he made before continuing on in your questioning.

 

“If you don’t mind, we need to perform your EKG now. If you could just remove your shirt and sit down on the table for me.”

 

Honestly, he should have known this was coming. He was in a cardiology office after all, he knew that they took these to evaluate the heart but it didn’t. It had completely slipped Jungkook’s mind and his left brow raised in suggestion before he could even realize it. If you noticed it, it wasn’t something that you made aware to the patient. Jungkook nodded and began removing his shirt, as you set up the EKG machine that was already placed into the room before the patient was brought in. Jungkook plopped down on the table, yes plopped, he was more comfortable than he felt that he should be in such a situation. Reaching down, you gripped the leg rest,

 

“Lift your legs for me please.”

 

As he did, you slide it out and Jungkook lowered his legs as he leaned back, head resting on the pillow behind him. Reaching for the pack of electrodes on the machine, you took out a fresh set as you moved next to the table. Peeling one off, you raised it up and gave the young man a warning,

 

“These are going to be cold, okay?”

 

Jungkook nodded, his eyes were trained on you as they had been since the moment he laid down. It wasn’t often that a patient didn’t flinch when you placed the electrodes on but every now and then you had some. It looked like today was one of those rare moments.

 

“Jeez, you weren’t kidding.”

 

Glancing up at Jungkook’s gaze you chuckled quietly and continued placing the rest of the nine electrodes in place.

 

“I tried to warn you.”

 

Picking up the leads you began clipping them in place, doing your work quickly and efficiently but making sure that you were placing each lead in the exact order they went. All the while, you could feel his gaze on you. Normally, people would talk with you to lessen the awkwardness of being shirtless on a table while you “plugged them up” as many said and they would look elsewhere or close their eyes. Jungkook did nothing of the sort. His eyes stayed on you the entire time, following your movements and often, you felt not so much saw, keeping his gaze on yours.

 

Keeping a small smile on your face, you moved away from the patient and back to the comfort of being behind the machine. Pressing a few buttons, you scrolled through the screen selection and typed in the diagnosis for the exam as well as typing in your initials. Through all of this, you still felt his gaze on yours. It was a little unnerving.

 

“Annd, we’re done. That was it. Quick, right?!”

 

That was it, electrocardiograms were easy and quick. The longest period of time was spent prepping the patient and taking all the leads and electrodes off. Walking back to the side of the table you began to reach down and remove everything. Those chocolate eyes were still glued on you and now you knew for sure that he was staring this entire time. There was just no denying it. Raising your gaze just enough, you caught him in the act and he still didn’t look away.

 

“I’m sorry, I can’t help but stare.”

 

His words came out softly and you could feel the heat rising in your cheeks. How were you to even respond to that. Jungkook didn’t look embarrassed at all, in fact he looked almost excited that the words came out of his mouth. You couldn’t tell but he was excited. Had it been his intention to hit on a pretty nurse or any nurse today? Nope, not at all but here he was, in the process of doing so.

 

“You’re really pretty.. I-I mean your eyes, they’re pretty.” This was the first time his eyes wavered and looked off to the side in his own embarrassment for being so blunt before turning to your own. Now, you knew that your cheeks were showing the flush you could feel.

 

“Ah, oh, thank you…”

 

The air had grown awkward and your smile, while it was polite was embarrassed and you really didn’t know how to deal with this situation. Jungkook, well he was attractive and most of the patients you saw, well they were elderly. There wasn’t anyone near your age range but until this moment you were calling the boy a kid. You were older than him. What did his date of birth say, 1996, 1997? Yeah, he was a kid. Finishing up quickly your mind was spinning.

 

Stop. Unnecessary thoughts. He’s only two years younger than you. No, too young. A patient.

 

“You can go ahead and- oh, sorry, you can’t put your shirt back on just yet.” Goodness, where was your mind at? Dr. Kim always preferred new patients to wear a gown for his examination. Walking towards the cabinet you opened it and pulled out a gown and handed it over to the patient.

 

“It can be open to the back as well.”

 

This time you didn’t make eye contact but instead hurriedly sat down at the computer and asked a few more medical questions, inputting his answers. Were you speeding things up? Maybe a little but boy was the air becoming a bit suffocating in that room.

 

“That was all of my questions. I’ll get this,” You raised up the EKG print out,

 

“To Dr. Kim and he’ll be with you shortly. It was nice meeting you, Jungkook.”

 

You made your way to the door, taking the electrocardiogram cart with you, opening the door and pushing it out. As you turned around to shut the door, your eyes met with the young man’s once again,

 

“Coffee?”

 

Pausing, you tilted your head slightly and Jungkook realized that he didn’t formulate that sentence properly, it was just said in a rush to get your attention.

 

“Ah, I mean, Saturday around 10am I’ll be at Pressed Cafe. If you happen to uh, be there Yoon Hye-sshi, say hi. I won’t be a patient.”

 

Jungkook knew that he was really crossing a line with this one but he just couldn’t seem to let it go. Your conversation hadn’t been much more than polite and appropriate but he knew that when he left the office he’d still be thinking of the nurse who did his EKG. What did he have to lose? His chocolate eyes gazed into yours hopeful yet nervous and without being able to stop yourself you gave a small but warm smile,

 

“That’s noona to you.”

Your eyes widened in surprise at your own words and mentally you scolded yourself. What in the world had gotten into you today. Giving a quick nod before shutting the door promptly behind you. A patient had just asked you out and now you were the one with the palpitations. That was not how the day was supposed to go. However, that very same patient was grinning like a fox behind the door and replaying the way you said noona over again in his head. Jeon Jungkook just happened to prefer noonas.