Making Everything Better

The Warrior Ice Prince

 

The Warrior Ice Prince
 
 
 
Chapter 75 : Making Everything Better
 
 
 
Minwoo's POV:
 
 
 
Urgent? Urgent?! Was something wrong? Was she hurt?
 
Before Minwoo's imagination could run wild, he threw on a jacket and shoes and sped off to where she was.
 
His mind raced as he thought of what could have happened.
 
Gangsters. A hit and run. A nasty older guy. Maybe the same thing happened as that horrid day during their vacation last year.
 
Minwoo shivered thinking about it.
 
He sprinted even faster and made it to the park in less then ten minutes.
 
Huffing and puffing, he looked around for _____.
 
He finally spotted her sitting patiently at a bench.
 
She looked fine. No signs of any physical harm done to her and all of her clothes were on, much to his relief.
 
Feeling much more at peace, but still wondering why she needed him so badly, he calmly started walking over to her.
 
"Noona." He breathed deeply, still haven't caught his breath.
 
She lifted her head and the look she gave him made him freeze where he was standing.
 
Her eyes looked at him sadly and told him that she had questions. Many questions.
 
"W-what's wrong? Did something bad happen?" He blinked and asked curiously.
 
"Is that why you didn't have any homework? Because you never went to school to get any?" 
 
Disappointment dripped from her voice and affected him immediately.
 
First came the shock, then the questions and lastly the guilt blanketed over it all.
 
"H-how do you know I didn't go to school?" He asked, voice practically a whisper.
 
"And you lied to me every time you said you were going to see your friends. Why?" She asked.
 
His heart broke at her accusations because they were true.
 
"How do you know that I never went to see them?"
 
"And why didn't you tell me that you fought with them instead of making everything better?" She continued as if he had said nothing.
 
"How do you know all of this?" 
 
Finally she answered one of his questions.
 
"They told me."
 
They. As in his friends.
 
"But how...?" 
 
He knew that she never saw them unless he was there.
 
"Because I thought you were doing so well with everything, I thought that I should use my first pay check on buying you and them some snacks and bring it to the practice room. Since you told me you were going to be there all day. You weren't there and they told me everything."
 
At first he just stood there, not knowing what to say.
 
He'd been found out, all of his lies revealed and all was left was guilt and disappointment from both her and himself.
 
"I-I'm sorry, Noona. I didn't mean to...I mean you know I..." He was at a loss of words, having no excuse for his lies and behaviour.
 
"I'm sorry." It was all he knew to say.
 
All he wanted was to fix everything and for her not to be upset with him anymore.
 
Even now, as he thought about it, he even knew that he had been foolish and immature.
He wondered why he had done it in the first place.
 
"Minwoo, I care for you more then you know. It hurts me a lot to hear things like this." She begins.
 
"You're still young and have a lot more in store for you. Your friends, you might not even see them after high school. You should enjoy their company while they're still in your life. And you only go to high school once then you never go back so you should do well and finish knowing you did your best." She explains calmly while he looked at the dirt not able to meet her eyes.
 
"Your dream is to be a singer isn't? You shouldn't be turning away from it for me. I know that you love dancing more then anything."
 
Wrong, I love you more then anything, he thought.
 
"You're crazy if you're going to give that up." She offered a smile.
 
"I'll fix everything, I promise. I will go to school and make up for everything I missed. I will go make up with my friends too. I'm sorry, I really am." He said meaning every word.
 
"That's good then. I'm really relieved. I'm still disappointed because you lied to me, but since I know that you'll make everything return back to normal I forgive you."
 
Minwoo exhaled, happy that she wasn't upset with him anymore.
 
"But, I think that, so you can focus on getting everything back to normal, we shouldn't see each other...for a while."
 
His relief was instantly replaced with a frown. 
 
Protests came up his throat, but he didn't get a chance to speak them aloud.
 
"Please, Minwoo. You always help me and in return I want to help you. Just until your grades are back up to where they are supposed to be and after your audition is over." She pleaded.
 
At once, everything he had to say was blown away. There was no way he was going to say no.
Even if he tried, his answer would have still came out as a yes.
 
With a reluctant sigh, Minwoo nodded and gave in.
 
"Okay. I understand and I appreciate that you are doing this for me. I'm sorry that I lied to you, I just didn't want you to worry."
 
With the smile of an angel, she stood and lightly kissed his temple.
 
He closed his eyes to savour the moment.
 
"Thank you. I'll see you in a while then, okay?" With a squeeze of her hand and one last smile, she turned and left. 
 
He made no move to stop her even though his whole being begged him not to let her go.
 
Despite how horrible he felt, Minwoo looked up into the sky and thought optimistically.
 
He had a lot of work to do and he was determined to do it all with flying colours.
 
I guess I have my work cut of for me, he sighed.
 
And with that, he marched off to complete his first task.
 
 
 
Cautiously, Minwoo knocked on the familiar orange door and anticipated what was coming next.
 
It opened a few seconds later to reveal five of the six people he cared most about.
 
They didn't seem surprised to see him nor did they look like they expected his arrival.
 
They were simply blank and waited for his response.
 
"Hey...guys. Um, can we, uh, talk?" He never imagined that it would ever be so awkward to talk to his friends.
 
Minwoo was invited in and the six of them sat on the floor in a circle as they always used to when they took water breaks.
 
"First...I'm sorry. I was acting really immature and delusional saying those things to you guys and thinking that you were out to get me. Even though I...know...or knew that it was the exact opposite."
 
At first, it seemed that his apology had done nothing to affect then and he thought that maybe they would forgive him, but then, one by one, they began to smile.
 
"We forgive you. I understand that you were just being protective over _____ noona." The leader said. 
 
"Yeah. We know how much you love her." Youngmin winked and nudged his arm.
 
A surprised look washed over Minwoo's face.
 
"You guys forgive me? That easily?" He knew how much of a jerk he had been.
 
"Of course, Maknae." 
 
"I already said so didn't I?"
 
"Yeah, of course."
 
"Why wouldn't we?"
 
They all nodded and smiled except for one.
 
He looked for the one person who had remained silent.
 
Staring at him was the person who had been the most upset with him since the beginning.
 
Jeongmin sat there still looking unconvinced, unable to accept this friend's apology so easily.
 
Especially after what happened.
 
No matter what, he was still hurt.
 
"Jeongmin hyung?" Minwoo said cautiously.
 
"You forgive me... don't you?" 
 
He swallowed and said nothing.
 
Yougmin, who was closest to him, put an arm over his shoulders and squeezed his neck.
 
"Come on, Hyung. Just forgive him. You know he's really sorry this time. After all, Noona did talk to him."
 
"How do you know she talked to me?" Minwoo asked.
 
"Hello, she was just here with us an hour ago." Youngmin rolled his eyes.
 
"Plus, we all know that you would listen to whatever she has to say. Even if she told you to go jump off of a cliff, you would go do it just because she wants you to." His twin pointed out with a chuckle.
Him and the others laughed at the truth.
 
"But seriously, I am sorry. Even if you can't forgive me now, can we please just dance? I'm itching to get into the routine again and the audition isn't far away."
 
"He's right. We all need to get off our lazy butts and get to practising." Donghyun clapped his hands together and hulled himself up.
 
Everyone obediently did as told and stood along with him.
 
While waiting for the leader to set up the music, Minwoo got friendly punches in the shoulder and thumps on the back as he received many 'glad your back's.
 
In the midst of all of the welcoming commotion, he looked to his left where Jeongmin was stretching and looking at his reflection in the mirror.
 
"Hey, don't worry about him, you know he's actually happy to see you. He'll come around." Hyunseong said encouragingly.
 
"I know. Thanks." Minwoo took a second to turn a smile at him.
 
When he turned back to look at Jeongmin, his head quickly twisted in the other direction to seem like he hadn't been watching.
 
He smiled at him, even if he wouldn't get one back.
 
Jeongmin casually continued to stretch and looked back to meet the maknae's upturned mouth.
 
Out of the corner of his eye, Minwoo saw the slight raise of his lips.
 
 
 
Your POV:
 
 
 
On Monday morning, I went to school early to find Yoseob so I could return his jacket.
 
It was draped over my forearm and made the area extra warm and toasty.
 
Just thinking about his small, caring gesture made a smile spread across my face. 
 
It meant a lot coming from him who cared about nothing other than himself and violence.
 
I realised at how much he had changed since we had first met.
 
It was almost as if the Ice Prince had started to...melt.
 
The thought was amusing to me and made the corners of my mouth to turn up more.
 
I turned left through the front gates and entered the campus.
 
Although I was early, there were still other students around chatting with each other or studying or just sitting hunched over with the cold and sipping on a hot drink.
 
I gave polite hellos to some of them as I passed and made small talk with friends.
 
"I have to go return this, but I'll see you later." I waved to the group that I had stopped at.
 
"Okay!" A girl said.
 
"Later, _____!" Another guy called.
 
I began my search for Yoseob.
 
 
 
He was alone. Like usual.
 
It was normal for him to be by himself all of the time, but after having company, just having people around him again, reminded him of how he felt with his first set of foster parents before they threw him away like yesterday's paper.
 
It reminded him of how alone he really was, how much he missed having other people in his life.
Before _____ came, it really was just him and himself.
 
Now he was bored and his side felt empty without her pestering him over something.
 
Sighing and slumping over, he continued to wait until classes started.
 
As he shivered slightly, he wished that his professor would let him into the classroom, but for some reason he was the only one who wouldn't unlock it until a few minutes before the class started.
 
Then again, he wouldn't have to wish that if he had his jacket.
 
Don't get him wrong, he didn't regret giving it to _____ at all.
 
In fact, it hadn't even crossed his mind. 
 
As Yoseob stood waiting, he suddenly had this feeling.
 
He couldn't describe it, but he could say that he felt like he was being drawn somewhere.
 
The feeling wanted him to go there because there was something there for him.
 
Despite the feelings, he tried to ignore it and stayed put.
 
It pulled on him for a few minutes before he finally turned his head in the direction it wanted him to go to satisfy the intense need.
 
His eyes saw _____ right away and the feeling dispelled immediately.
 
She also spotted him and went over to him while he tried to figure out what that weird feeling was all about.
 
 
 
"Good morning, I have this for you." I said and held out his jacket to him.
 
"Oh...yeah...thanks." He said awkwardly and accepted it.
 
"I didn't get a chance to thank you that day because you left so quickly, but thank you. I wasn't cold anymore." I beamed sincerely.
 
 
 
See, this was why he left because he didn't want exactly THIS to happen.
 
Well, not that he didn't want it to happen, it's just that he felt incredibly awkward and uncomfortable with no clue of what to do.
 
After all, it was the first time he had been sincerely thanked.
 
He was the Ice Prince. People were supposed to be afraid of him or at the very least dislike him.
 
He disliked everyone else so it only made since to him that everyone be the same way.
 
But _____ standing there in front of him with a grin plastered on her face, he was just flustered.
 
"It was about time you returned it. I was freezing without it. I regret giving it to you..." He lied with a fake scowl.
 
"Sorry, I guess I should have gone to your house over the weekend so I could give it back to you." She said apologetically, even though it wasn't her fault.
 
Crap, crap, crap.
 
"Whatever...just don't expect me to lend it to you a second time." He mumbled.
 
Lies, he thought, second, third, forth, how ever many times you needed it, I would give it to you without any hesitation.
 
 
 
Yoseob sighed and just barely muttered a goodbye.
 
He really needed to find a private corner to think to himself.
 
Lately, he had been being so nice and soft and nowadays and that wasn't really anything new, but now he was aware of it and allowing it.
 
Last Friday being a strong example.
 
He doesn't do things like like wait around, bored in the cold for nothing.
 
He doesn't think of other people other than himself.
 
And he definitely doesn't give girls his jacket willingly or unwillingly for that matter.
 
Yang Yoseob just doesn't give, has never gave.
 
To normal people, it would probably be common courtesy, but to him, it was foreign and so against the person he had built up for years.
 
Suddenly, he started to change, his whole being had changed.
 
Heck, he hasn't even gotten into a fight in a while much less have participated in a match.
 
He was weak. Weak for the person he had just walked away from minutes ago.
 
Yoseob was not ready to admit defeat just yet, not ready to give up his pride, his way of life.
 
He knew it wouldn't happen that day, but he knew it was soon.
 
It was inevitable, unavoidable and he could only resist for so long.
 
 
 
Minwoo's POV:
 
 
 
It had been five days since his girlfriend had talked to him and there was only one more school day of the week.
 
Minwoo had been working his off trying to make up for all of his missed assignments and practising for his audition on top of that.
 
He was giddy and feeling pre-nervousness thinking about it, but it helped him strive to dance with more sharpness.
 
As for school, the teachers seemed delighted to see him arriving with his friends once again.
 
Girls came up to him with puppy dog eyes and asked him where he was for the past week, if he was sick and other things of the like.
 
"It doesn't matter, I'm back now aren't I?" He would respond.
 
In the middle of class, he was called down to the office to explain about his absences.
 
Just as he did with his peers, he didn't go into great detail about why he was away and simply explained that it was his choice to skip all of his classes and that he would take full responsibility for his foolish actions.
 
"Look Minwoo, you're one of our best students and for someone like you to do something like this..." The principal trailed off, then continued.
 
"Just remember that we have a counsellor  If you are having troubles at home or anything you can go talk to them. It's all confidential."
 
Minwoo shook his head reassuringly.
 
"I promise you, it's nothing like that. There was a problem and it has been resolved now. I'm ready to work and continue with my studies."
 
He was let off easier then any other student because of many reasons, a couple being because he came clean and owned up to his mistakes and because he was such an avid student that the principal trusted him not to do it again. 
 
This week and next week he had detention on Monday and Wednesday.
 
He used that time efficiently to complete work or to study.
 
Miraculously, even though it had only been four days since he returned to school, he had already improved in all classes by at least thirty percent.
 
By the end of next week, his grades should be back to normal.
 
Just as Hyunseong predicted, Jeongmin did come around and forgave him, much to his relief.
 
He felt better knowing that they were all friends again, striving for the same dream.
 
Everything was going better then he thought it was going to.
 
It was great and although he wanted to go see _____ and show her how much he improved, he thought it would be better to present himself to her when he was fully ready.
 
He wanted to face her proudly with top marks and maybe even an acceptance as a trainee.
 
At the same time, he had been arguing with himself because the next day was Valentine's Day and even though the girls were supposed to give chocolates to the guys, he wanted to do something for her anyway.
 
Minwoo decided that he would go out and buy something, wrap it up and deliver it to _____'s house without her seeing him.
 
He had just gotten home from school and checked the time to make sure he could go and buy the present and still be on time for dance practice.
 
He calculated that he should have have enough time to take a bus to the mall and make it to the studio with time to spare.
 
For a few seconds, he stopped to rest and breathed deeply.
 
Schedule planning, school work, dance practice, everything was just tiring him right out.
 
But he wasn't going to stop or give up.
 
Not yet.