Brother-Sister Bonding

The Warrior Ice Prince

The Warrior Ice Prince

 
Chapter 54 : Brother-Sister Bonding
 
Your POV:
 
That night Mir and I slept together again in my room and didn't wake up until noon.
We washed and dressed and got ready to go out to eat.
Mir said that he had been craving Dim Sum and knew a place where they made the best pork buns.
As I was picking out warm clothes to wear, I remembered all of the things Minwoo had bought me because they were all still sitting on the floor in gift bags.
I decided to scrummage through them and see what I could find.
Most of it was clothing. One bag had a bunch of assorted jewelries and accessories and I picked out a few of the pieces to wear.
After going through all of it I suddenly realised at how much everything would have costed.
How did a sixteen year old have so much money?
Think of that smiling boy, I unconsciously touch the couple necklace he bought me.
Hurriedly, I take the clothes I picked to wear and shoved out those thoughts.
I leave them behind as I go into my bathroom to change.
Mir and I both dressed warmly because we could see snow lightly falling from the clouded sky.
I wore a jacket Minwoo bought me (He really got me a new one) and matched it with wool articles of clothing I had in my closet.
It had snowed overnight so there was a least a couple inches of snow covering the ground.
Mir would have to shovel the driveway soon.
Into the warm hands of the car's heating system, he drove off into the flurry of white.
The dim sum place was down an alleyway and was crowded with hungry people.
Many of them were waiting outside for tables to become vacant.
Mir parked and told me to wait inside of the car while he got us a pager to alert us when our table was ready.
We waited for about fifteen minutes in the warmth of the car.
The inside of the restaurant is cramped and was filled with the conversations of others.
I was thinking about how they should expand the place or move to a location with more space.
We were seated at a simple small square table that was the perfect size for two.
It was near the front door, so whenever someone opened the door, cold air rushed in.
It was more of a relief then chilling. 
The combination of the heat from the many bodies and cooking made the temperature rise a lot.
The food made up for it, though.
It really was delicious and explained all of the people lining up in the snow just to eat at this place.
Mir got his dumplings like he had wanted when we all went to eat after the talent show.
After he ate a few of the white, shrimp-filled puffy things, he said that he wanted to try making them.
He started dissecting it and tasting it for each of the ingredients and spices.
I just popped one in my mouth and chuckled thinking about how ridiculous he looked.
I almost expected him to ask the chef for the recipe, but he paid and did nothing but that.
We left the restaurant in the late afternoon and drove to a local Christmas tree farm.
The owner had been growing the green pines ever since I could remember.
Mir and I had gone there every year with our dad to pick out a tree.
Just because our father was gone, it didn't mean we were going to stop the tradition.
We pulled up into the modest parking lot where it was three quarters full of snow covered cars.
I blew out a breath as I stepped out into the cold air once again.
My breath was visible for about ten seconds then disappeared.
"Why, isn't it the Park siblings! It's nice to see you two again, although it's a pity about your parents." The owner greeted us near the gate to the freshly cut trees.
"Annyeonghaseyo, it's nice to see you again too, ajusshi." Mir smiled at him and ignored that little last part.
"How is business coming?" I ask.
"Oh, it's been pretty good, but you know the season's not complete without a visit from you two! I'm glad you still come."
"Where else would we get such nice Christmas trees?" Mir asked.
There was more small talk, mostly stuff about Christmas and news and then we were invited inside of the old ajusshi's house.
"The Mrs is baking some cookies and the like, would you like to come in for some?" The owner asked.
"Sure." Mir and I agreed.
Just as he had said, his home was filled with the warm and delicious smells of baked sweets.
"Yeobo! We've got company! It's the Park siblings!" The old man hollered from the front door.
"Omo! Why, it is you! Come! Cookies are cooling on the counter." Mrs. Kwon wiped her hands on her apron.
We followed her into the kitchen even though we already knew where it was.
This definitely was not the first time we had been invited into their home.
Plenty of snowy days before, we had gone over to eat some freshly baked cookies and cakes when we were kids.
"How's it been, kids? Is _____ still in high school? Do you have a girlfriend yet, Mir?" Mrs. Kwon asked us while taking out a batch of ginger bread cookies out of the oven.
They were in the shapes of people and reindeer and presents and Santas.
"_____ is in collage now and no I don't have a girlfriend." Mir laughed lightly.
"Collage already?! My, I swear last time you came, you were just a cute little thing! Aigoo, no girlfriend? You've got to start looking for that special someone soon and settle down!" Mrs. Kwon chirped.
This happened every time we visited, she loved to ask questions.
We enjoyed some treats and helped decorate the gingerbread cookies all the while talking to the old couple.
"Mir, you were always good at this." Mr. Kwon said as he admired Mir's frosting job on his cookies.
I also thought they looked really well done. And yummy.
I took one of Mir's edible pieces of art and bit Santa's head off.
"Yah! Don't eat Santa!" Mir pouted.
I just stuck out my tongue and bit off his arm.
"Still the same as always aren't you? Always so childish." Mrs. Kwon chuckled at us.
After spending some time with the old couple, Mrs. Kwon wrapped up the cookies we decorated into plastic bags and tied it with a ribbon bow.
"We won't keep you any longer. Go pick out a nice tree and Merry Christmas!" Mrs. Kwon cheerfully waved from the door with Mr. Kwon.
"Thank you and you too!" We called.
When we picked a pretty little tree, we took put it into the trunk of Mir's car and put the cookies on the back seat.
I could still smell the pine needles mixing with the scent of cookies.
Next we went to a speciality store the sold all sorts of Christmas things.
It would always come once a year during the holidays then it packed up everything until next year.
During October, just before the Christmas season, the speciality Halloween shop would occupy the space.
There were many people there, but we found our way up and down the aisles without problems.
We bought all new decorations for our new tree and for the house.
We played with the head bands and hats and whatever else we could find and I was having an enjoyable time.
It was fun to play around with my brother again.
"What kind of tree topper should we get this year, _____-ah?" Mir asked as we looked at their selection.
"Hmm..." I examined the shelf for something that caught my eye.
Something glittered in the corner of my eye on the highest shelf.
"Oppa, get the down for me." I said, pointing the box.
He reached up easily and brought it down for me to have a closer look.
It was really beautiful.
It was a crystal star that shined.
It caught the light and sparkled.
 
 
"Let's get this one!" 
"Okay, this one looks good." He put it in the cart.
Carrying a total of four bags out of that store, we were finally done and put it on the back seat with the cookies.
When we got home, Mir started with the tree and I started taking the decorations out of their packages.
Together we decorated the tree and the house and made everything look really festive.
The smell the the pine needles filled the room.
"Okay, who puts on the star this year? You or me?" Mir asked.
Usually we would alternate and one year I would and the next year Mir would.
I remembered one year when it was my turn, but I was much too small to reach all the way to the top of the tree and my appa had lifted me up.
I really missed him.
"Go ahead." I say.
He took the sparkling star and carefully placed it on the tree.
Decorating was finally complete.
We took a few steps back to admire it.
The tree shined with golds, silvers and the lights reflected off of the ornaments and created even more light.
"Dad would've liked our decorating job." Mir said as he reached around and grabbed my shoulder, pulling me closer to him.
"Yeah." I say softly.
I leaned my head on his shoulder.
"He would've." 
 
I helped Mir cook dinner and we ate together listening to Christmas carols.
The dinner wasn't really special, but for some reason today it felt special.
After eating, Mir and I watched Music Core.
My eyes were practically glued to the screen when SHINee was performing.
I sat right in front of the TV and did the fan chants with the other shawols that were watching them live.
Mir was sitting on the couch and chuckling while I screamed out 'OH I'M CURIOUS, YEAH!'.
He was amused with my love for the five boys that were dancing on stage.
I just ignored him though.
SHINee was the last the perform and there were no awards on Music Core so when the show ended, Mir changed the channel.
I pouted as I got up and slumped back into the couch.
It was over much too soon. For my liking anyway.
"Hey, how about we make some cookies?" Mir asked.
I brightened up at the suggestion.
"Wouldn't be tradition without making them." 
Every year, after we bought and decorated the Christmas tree, we would help our umma bake cookies.
I remembered those past years of stealing a few chocolate chips while her back was turned, eating the dough off of the spoon, and that one year when I had accidently spilled all of the flour onto the floor.
Mir and I were covered in white powder because we played in it and threw it everywhere.
I chuckled at the memory.
"What are you laughing at?" Mir asked as he started taking out all of the ingredients. 
"I was thinking of that one time with the flour." I smiled.
"Ahh, yes, I remember that. Do you remember how long it took to get us clean? It took Mom a long time to clean up it all up too. We almost didn't have any time to make cookies." 
We prepared the dough and added in the chocolate chips and our mom's special mint flavouring and a bunch of other things that made her cookies special.
We talked and laughed and reminisced together.
It was nice to think about our parents without hurting.
We ate the warm cookies with milk and the familiar taste was comforting.
That whole day was exactly what I needed.
It was a nice, relaxing, normal day and now I was ready to face Minwoo tomorrow.
I knew exactly what I will say to him.