Dress Rehearsal

The Warrior Ice Prince

 

The Warrior Ice Prince
 
(SHINee - Life)
 
Chapter 31 : Dress Rehearsal
 
Your POV: 
 
The next day, I'm fidgety.
I didn't know how to face Yoseob.
Was he still mad at me? Will he yell at me again? Maybe he was just worked up because of something and let it out on me.
I thought you said you never wanted to hurt me...
I shouldn't have yelled at him. 
I should have just let him be.
We didn't even go over the song one last time like we planned.
It was my fault things happened that way.
I just hoped everything will be okay today.
Sighing, I force myself to forget. I needed to stay focused in class.
I managed to forget about it for the time being, but once I stepped out of the classroom it came back again.
It was time to go meet him for dress rehearsal.
When I got to the location, there were people setting up a stage.
It was going to be outside, even though the weather was cold.
It was a tradition, I was told.
I helped set up chairs when I spotted Yoseob.
I panicked and looked away, pretending that I never saw him.
In ten minutes everything was set up and all of the participants were asked to sit in the audience.
"All right everybody, listen up! I'm going to read out the order and then you can get yourselves organized. After everyone gets their turn we'll decide the final order." A teacher with a clip board yells out to us.
She goes on listing everyone off. Yoseob and I were going 4th and me and my class were near the end.
The first five groups that were called were told to go to backstage and prepare.
A few students including me stand up.
I meet Yoseob backstage.
"Should we have hand held microphones or headsets?" He asks.
I didn't expect that that would be the first words he spoke to me.
"Uh, I think hand held. We're only singing." I answer.
"First group!" 
The first group goes up on stage.
We discuss how we want our lighting and our stage like nothing ever happened.
I figure that the whole thing from the day before was nothing.
Just before the third group finished their turn, Yoseob and I go up to tell the guy who took care of the technical stuff and told him how we wanted things.
Suddenly, I started to get just a little nervous.
I was afraid I'd mess up or trip.
I keep this to myself and wait patiently for the teacher to call us up.
"Okay, forth group!" She quickly scribbles things down onto her clipboard.
I breathe deeply then follow Yoseob up the steps and go to my spot.
Yoseob starts off stage while I start on stage, sitting on one of two chairs set up back to back on the stage.
The curtains are closed and as I stare at the red fabric, I try to remember how large the audience is.
The music starts to play and the curtains open. A spot light fades in, just like we planned.
I'm feeling really nervous and I was sure I would mess up, but my voice comes out smooth like silk.
We go through the whole rehearsal without any faults, but the whole time my heart pounded in my chest.
When we are done, the audience claps for us and the next group is called.
"That was so scary..." I say to myself holding a hand to my chest.
Returning our mics, Yoseob just passes me by and sits back in the audience.
I go back and sit down feeling better, but then I remember I have to go back up later.
I try not to think about it and watch all of the other's rehearsals.
There are more singers, dancers, some people who did monologues, people who played instruments and even one guy who deejayed.
They were all really good, but as I was watching, I realized that nobody was doing what Yoseeb and I were doing or what my class was doing. 
There were duets, but they were mostly covers and by two girls rather then one girl and one guy.
There were also bands who were like ours, but they were smaller and they only did instrumental.
I could tell that the Half-Year Talent Show was going to be impressive this year.
Last minute, the teachers decided that my class would go last since there were a lot of people and a lot of stuff to set up.
I help set up with everyone from my class, but I felt a little bit burdened because I was in charge.
People kept asking me questions because they forgot where they were supposed to be or they lost a bow or drum stick.
Somehow, I managed to get everyone together and in order and we could finally start.
There were two rows on stage, in the back were the drummers then there were chair set up for the majority of the others and at the front corners were the bassists.
I sat in the middle with my harp with two guitarists on either side of me.
This time, all lights are used and all of our music was live so there was no audio back up.
Fifteen minutes later, we were finally ready.
Curtains came up, but this time I only felt a little bit nervous. 
There were lots of people with me and it was my second time and I felt comfort in that.
"One, two, three, four." I counted us all in.
Together we played and I sang and we actually didn't do too bad. 
Only a few mistakes made by others here and there, but I was sure it was just because of nerves.
After a long almost three and a half hours, everyone had done their turn and now was just going over and preparing for the real thing tomorrow night.
"We'll go over the list and announce the official line up in a little bit, please stay in this area for the time being." A teacher told us.
With my group, we talked about how we'll get the instruments on and off stage as quickly as possible.
After everyone seemed to understand, we broke up.
I went to go to a drink of water.
I was using my voice a lot and it was taking a toll on my throat.
Yoseob comes up and says nothing.
"Hey." I said, still a little bit cautious.
"I have a new idea for the ending." Is all he says.
"All right, shoot." 
We talk about our performance until the teachers come back.
Yoseob doesn't seem to be mad at me anymore, so I decide that we were okay.
"Gather up, this is the line up. Don't lose it and remember where you're supposed to be at all times." 
All of us are given a piece of paper.
I examine it and see that my class would be the be going first and Yoseob and I are going...last?
My shoulders slump. I would have to stay backstage for the whole thing.
"So first we have Mr. Song's class first because of the set up time. If it wasn't for that, we would have had it near the end..." The teacher goes on explaining things and making sure everyone knows the order.
"...Yoseob and _____, you will be our closing act. We think that you will put on a great show and it was really creative of you two to come up with your act." The teacher praises us.
Together we thank her and bow.
"Lastly, there will be a curtain call so everyone has to be backstage by time _____ and Yoseob are on stage. Okay, everyone did good today. Let's do our best tomorrow and we'll see you all in the morning." We were dismissed and everyone started going separate ways, gathering their things and heading home.
"Hey, Yoseob, I..." I was going to apologize for yelling at him yesterday, but he was already gone.
Not sure what to feel, I heave my bag strap over my shoulder and walk home.
I mentally prepare for the big and busy day I would have tomorrow.
 

Last day to vote: April 8th
But it seems like you guys want short chapters instead of long ones.
Please vote: