Minwoo's Permission

The Warrior Ice Prince

The Warrior Ice Prince

 
(SHINee - Sherlock)
 
Chapter 44 : Minwoo's Permission
 
Your POV: 
 
Monday morning, I put on a brave face and walked to school.
As usual, Mir offered to drive me, but I declined.
I would distract myself from my thoughts by listening to SHINee's new album, Sherlock, that I had bought the day before when I was shopping with Luna.
I was addicted to the 'SHINee's back' at the beginning of Sherlock and put their song on repeat.
It was a pretty chilly December day and the sun peaked out from an almost overcast sky.
Wearing a big, warm trench coat the colour of cocoa, (Inspired by SHINee's album), a white French-styled hat, a thick wool scarf also white and black ankle heel boots I felt pretty toasty.
I had made the mistake by wearing black patterned tights. The wind bit right through the thin fabric.
Not able to do anything about it, I just tried to ignore it instead.
"...SHINee's back...SHINee's back...SHINee's back, back, back, back, back..." 
I half sang along to the song as I walked.
Soon enough, I made it to school.
I couldn't help but wonder where Yoseob was.
I realized that I was looking for him and stopped myself immediately, waiting for the wave of pain and longing to pass.
Instead, I just hurried to my first class and tried to look forward to the week.
It was the week before winter break and there was basically no reason to go to school.
All of our exams, projects and what ever else had been wrapped up last week.
Most people probably wouldn't show up and start their vacation early, but because I was me, I was going to attend anyway.
At lunch break, I was sitting in my usual spot.
My heart had skipped a beat when my eyes spotted Yoseob in the courtyard.
I turned sick to my stomach, when I see his familiar fierce eyes as he slams somebody I don't know into the wall.
The victim gasped as the air was knocked out of him.
I gasped too.
I couldn't stop watching Yoseob beat up the guy, even when blood started to spill and purple, blue and black lumps formed on his arms and face.
As much as it disgusted me, I was just about to go up and stop him.
Luckily for me, an authorized adult broke the two apart.
The professor dragged Yoseob and the other guy away. 
He shoved Yoseob more as they walked to the office building.
I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I felt pain in my chest and I let it go.
Truthfully, I was very grateful that the older man showed up when he did.
I was terrified in going between them.
Yoseob wouldn't hurt me though, right?
I shivered at the thought.
Packing up my lunch, I got up and left.
I had completely lost my appetite.
 
I didn't see Yoseob again that day, but I had a feeling that if he wasn't already in detention or something, he was probably sent home for fighting with another student.
But I also had a feeling that he hadn't gone home and just went to pick a fight with someone else.
I scowled and just forced myself to think of something else.
It was starting to hurt thinking of him and I didn't want to think of what he could have been doing.
First day back at school was lonely and boring.
I looked at the gate, imagining a smiling Minwoo, waving and calling 'Noona!'.
I walk past it and continue of my way home.
The next day, the most eventful thing that happened was watching the video one of the other students shot of Yoseob's and my performance from last Friday.
Watching it was painful, but I finished the whole three minutes and faked a smile.
"You shot this really well, it would be fine to put it in the school's website."
"You really think so?! That's great! Thank you, _____-sshi! I'll go tell the principal right away!" She bowed enthusiastically and pushed her glasses back up.
I watched her scurry away.
The next most eventful thing that happened was watching Yoseob beat another guy.
I felt bad for him. He looked scared out of his wits.
The vice principal came and tore them apart.
"Yang Yoseob, do you want to be suspended again?! This is already the third time this week and it's only Tuesday! Get to the office right now! Don't make me tell you twice!"
Yoseob stormed away leaving the frightened boy on the ground.
Third time?! 
Why was he suddenly getting into so many fights?
Now that I thought about it, during the time when we were practising, I never heard of Yoseob getting into fights.
He behaved really well.
Suddenly he's like this?
I probably thought about it more than I should have.
My heart hurt just picturing his face in my mind.
The next day, I saw Yoseob a few times. 
Thankfully, most of those times he was alone and not beating up another guy.
The last time I saw him, our eyes met and I almost gasped.
All he did was look away like I wasn't even there.
He had walked off to who-knows-where and I ran to the nearest washroom and bawled my eyes out.
I never imagined that not even being a presence to him would hurt so badly.
I thought that maybe I would just see him sometimes and feel a bit sad.
Not like this.
It was probably for the better that it was this way.
I wasn't bothering him, like he wanted and all I gave in exchange was my heart.
Not bad of a deal.
I sobbed harder and didn't stop for a while.
When I finally did manage to stop, I cleaned myself up, but I couldn't do anything about my puffy eyes.
I didn't bother going to last class, I was already late and most of it was already over.
Instead I decided to walk around campus to calm myself.
It sort of helped. I relaxed a bit more and sniffed one last time.
Finally it was the end of the day and everyone poured out of the front gates.
I had forgotten something in the washroom and went back to retrieve it.
By the time I returned, almost everyone had gone home or went to hang out with friends.
A surprise awaited me on the other side of the gate.
I wasn't sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing.
Minwoo stood kicking at the dirt with his hands in his pant's pockets.
"Minwoo." I whisper.
He hears it and looks up.
"W-What are you doing here?" 
"What else? To see you of course." He says.
This Minwoo was unfamiliar to me. He didn't joke around, he talked in a neutral tone and he didn't smile.
I didn't know what to say.
He had come to see me even when I rejected him.
"How have you been doing?" 
An odd question.
"Um, okay. I guess." 
I should ask him how he's feeling too, but that would just be cruel.
I know exactly how he's been.
"How has it been with Yoseob?" 
Might as well tell him the truth.
"I don't talk to him anymore."
He looks surprised.
"Why is that?"
"Personal reasons." That's all I'm willing to answer.
"Is it because of me?" He asks.
That was a shock to me. He was a lot smarter then I credited him for.
He takes my silence as a yes.
"Please don't hold yourself back because of me. If you're happy, that's all that matters to me." He said.
His words are sweet and utterly heartbreaking.
I shake my head hard.
"It was my choice. And Yoseob wants nothing to do with me..." I mutter the last part.
"What do you mean by that?" 
Of course he had heard me.
I told him about what happened the night of the talent show.
"He made you cry?" He asked, I could hear the fury in his voice.
"I can't believe he said that to you. Can't he see the treasure in front of him? He doesn't deserve you at all. Not in a million years. Lucky bastard." Minwoo said running a frustrated hand through his hair.
It was the first time I had ever heard Minwoo swear.
"It doesn't matter anyway, it benefits everyone if it's like this." I say as if it were the simplest thing in the world.
"Not you. It doesn't benefit you."
I don't say anything.
I hear footsteps on the pavement.
Yoseob was nearby.
His eyes lock with mine again and we both pause for only a moment.
He continues to where ever he was going without glancing our way again.
I turn back to Minwoo.
"You really love him, don't you?" He asks and I'm taken aback.
I nod once.
"Then I give you my permission." 
"Permission?"
"It's okay with me if you go after Yoseob."
"No, Minwoo, I can't. It would be selfish of me if I did with your okay or not."
"It would be selfish of me if I let you continue like this. You're torturing yourself. I can see it just by how you look at him."
Tears started forming in my eyes. I wanted to be selfish very badly.
"Please. It would just hurt me more if I see you sad all of the time. I promise I'll be okay." 
One lone tear makes it's way down my face.
"I can be selfish?" 
"Mmhm."
"Minnie..." I throw my arms around his neck.
I could feel my wet face in the cold air.
He hugs me and rubs my shoulder blade.
"Thank you." I whisper into his neck.
"I'm sorry." I add.
"Shh...don't cry. Or I'll cry too." His voice cracks a little at the end.
It made me just want to cry more.
I try my hardest to stop because Minwoo wanted me to and I pull away a little.
He wipes away all of the tracks left by falling tears.
I wipe away his.
"If he makes you cry again, I won't forgive him. Call me if it happens, okay? I'll be there right away." He smiles a small smile.
I see his eyes shining with moisture.
"Thank you." I say it again because no amount of thanks yous could measure up to how thankful I felt.
Softly, I give him a gentle kiss on the cheek.
"Now go." He pulls away completely and smiles.
I smile too and hurry off to find Yang Yoseob.