Something Worth Saying

SHINee One Shots & Drabbles

 

“She’s so weird, why doesn’t she just talk?” A few girls whisper behind me.

 

That’s all anyone ever wants from me. To talk. But to be truthful I don’t have anything to say, not to anyone, and I haven’t for a long time now. Even I haven’t heard my voice for a good three years or so. My parents have tried everything to get me to talk, bribing, ignoring, even therapy; I couldn’t tell you how many countless hours I’ve gone through sitting, all the doctors, and just to have them all to tell my parents the same thing: ‘She just doesn’t have anything to say.’

 

“Hey MiYoung, Sang Hee greets me smiling, waving to her I give her a smile. “Did you do your homework?” nodding my head I shoot her a look. Sang Hee has been my best friend for years, before I stopped talking, and she’s the only one that doesn’t pester me about talking. “Hey, I did my this time!” She says defensively.

Nodding my head understandingly, quietly walking into the classroom Sang Hee takes to telling me about some guy she’s gone a date with. Nodding my head I grin happily. Most of the time she tell me about handing out with her cousin and his friends, it’s nice to hear about her seeing someone.

 

Over the years Sang Hee and I have developed our own language. She knows what questions to answer by a certain facial expression or gesture, and I can express what I want to tell her through a simple note or text.

 

“We’re getting a new student today.” Sang Hee gloats, a smirk playing across her face and a knowing look. I have the only open desk for someone to sit at, meaning more than likely they’ll be sitting next to me. Joy.

Taking our seats I glare at Sang Hee, she could have let me live in blissful ignorance for a little while longer. As class starts our teacher eyes the girls carefully before speaking. “Now class, we have a new student. I expect you all to treat him well.” Mr. Ahn warns us. Staring at the board with a blank expression I pray for Sang Hee to opt to switch with the new student, letting out a sigh I glance over at Sang Hee who is smirking happily to herself.

Drawing our attention to the door opening, in walks a boy, a bit thin, reddish-brown hair, tallish…Smiling shyly as the girls fight to contain their excitement. Bowing he introduces himself. “Hello, I am Lee Taemin, please take care of me.”

Sighing I glance at him again trying to place where I’ve seen his face before, interrupting my train of thought Mr. Ahn says my name. “Taemin, you’ll be sitting next to Park MiYoung, Miss Park please raise your hand.”

Blowing my bangs out of my face I raise my hand reluctantly. Taking notice to the rest of the girls glaring at me, Taemin walks over to me smiles and bows. “Hello.”

Bowing back I give him a sincere smile, but turning back to quickly face the board.

“Alright today after lunch we’ll be starting a project, your partner will be your desk mate.” Mr. Ahn says and ignoring all the hands that shot up he continues. “No trading partners. It’s final.” He says eyeing all of the hands that had been raised.

Raising my hand with an alarmed face Mr. Ahn sighs before smiling at me encouragingly. “No, Miss Park you’ll be staying Taemin’s partner.” He chides me.

A string of complaints from the girls and comments much like. “Why does Mute get to be partners with him?!”

Quieting the class Mr. Ahn continues to explain the project to us, I become more confused, for the project to work we have to have something in common, and I highly doubt that I have anything in common with Taemin.

“Any questions?” Mr. Ahn asks, answering all the serious ones until we’re released for lunch.

Quickly scribbling down my question, I hand it to Mr. Ahn after most of the class files out. Leaving Taemin and Sang Hee alone with us.

“Miss Park, I paired you up with Taemin intentionally. You won’t bother him with the endless questions.
 He says.

Giving him a confused look he nods his head over to a Sang Hee and Taemin, both with their lunches.

“Hello.” Taemin says, friendly still. Waving I smile at him.

“I’m Taemin.”

“Taemin, MiYoung doesn’t talk.” Mr. Ahn explains from his desk. “She’s mute.”

Taemin makes a perplexed face. “I hope we can be friends like Sang Hee and I.” He says smiling.

Nodding my head it clicks in my mind that this is probably one of Sang Hee’s cousin’s friends. Looking around for Sang Hee to explain and to confirm my theory, much faster than I would be able to write it all out.

“Do you mind if I eat with you?” Taemin asks me quietly, nodding my head happily I gesture for us to go, and to look for Sang Hee.

“MiYoung is there a way for us to actually talk?” He asks me curiously.

Nodding my head I point to my phone, typing a quick message.

‘Yeah, during class through it has to be notes.”

Chuckling Taemin smiles. “I’m really glad you aren’t spazzing out.”

Confused I shrug my shoulders and type. ‘Why would I?”

Surprised Taemin blinks. “SHINee.”

Looking at him again I realize that’s why he’s so familiar, typing. ‘OH’

“You like us?”

I nod my head as we take our seats at a table, where Sang Hee and I normally sit. Sang Hee taking her seat next to me with my lunch in hand. “Hey Taemin, you like class?” She asks politely.

“Taemin nods his head. “Key-Hyung says hello.”

Sighing, it confirms my thought. “Well you’re a smart cookie.” Sang Hee says grinning at me. “Key’s my cousin.”

Nodding my head I begin to eat my lunch as Sang Hee and Taemin talk.

Standing up after I finish I type, ‘I’ll be in the library’ Showing Sang Hee and Taemin I wave before I head off. Sitting alone in the library I begin to wonder how this project is ever going to work, I mean I can’t really relate to Taemin…can I?

Picking a random book off a shelf I settle down in a seat and begin to read, this always did help clear my mind and let me make a logical decision.

 

Heading back to class early like always so I avoid most of the people that always try to get a rise out of me, always trying to get me to talk; I don’t get what the big deal is about talking, I get by just fine being silent.

“Hey MiYoung still not talking?” A girl taught me.

Nodding my head I walk past them and into the classroom where I take me seat. “You know MiYoung you’re the most rebellious student at this school.” Mr. Ahn comments.

On a paper I write. ‘Really? What makes that so?’

Mr. Ahn just laughs. “You’re a passive resister. You don’t listen to others.”

I nod my head, writing down ‘I guess so’ while showing him I shrug my shoulders, to this he chuckles.

“This is another reason why I put you with Taemin. You won’t react how most girls would.” Mr. Ahn softens his gaze while looking out the window. “MiYoung you haven’t uttered a word in years…When I found out I’d be teaching you I talked to your old teachers, and they told me exactly what I’d find out about you.” Pausing he looks at me before smiling. “You don’t care what others say about you, that when people said you didn’t have anything else to say, that it’s true.”

Awe-struck I listen to him talk.

“You’re very intelligent, and my guess is, and there are very few people that could confirm this, but when you used to speak no one heard, rather not enough people heard. Now though you have their full and undivided attention.”

Mr. Ahn has always been one of my favorite teachers, he tells you what you need to hear, not what you expect to.

“MiYoung, one day I know you’ll talk again, I just like to think that when you do you’ll have the entire world’s attention. You just need something worth talking for.”

Bowing to him, in thanks I smile.

 

As more students come in, Taemin taking his seat he waves at me, smiling I wave back, writing him a message. ‘How was lunch?’

He makes a face. “Girls attacked me.”

Smiling at him, almost laughing aloud, I nod my head. ‘Rough.’

“Pretty much.” He says a little depressed. “I love our fans, but it takes my words away.”

Nodding my head again I pat his back, I can relate. I suppose Mr. Ahn is right, I just need something to speak up for.

As class starts all over Taemin and I work hard on trying to find something we have in common, and let me tell you, we’re stretching to find one thing.

 

“Things you hate?”

I quickly write down my pet-peeves. ‘Being bossed around, Sang Hee does it because she’s older.’

“My Hyungs do that too.” He says smiling. “I guess we found something.”

I nod my head.

“Mutie and Taemin have something in common?” A girl snipes. “Taemin probably doesn’t want to fail. I mean he’s extraordinary, and she’s just mute.”

“Her name is MiYoung.” Taemin says turning around. “And she’s more than mute. MiYoung is just as extraordinary if not more.” He says turning around.

Bowing to Taemin I smile at him; flustered the girl nods her head blushing looking at Taemin.

 

As the weeks pasted since the project, Taemin and I became good friends, Taemin always speaking up for me, Sang Hee too, the three of us are always together at school. Eventually the last day of school came, and with it I decided on something, something important.

 

Walking in I clear my throat, the class becomes silent at me making a noise, moving my lips I smile at my two friends. “Thank-you.” My classmates stare at me in awe, and everyone begins to listen to me. “Thank-you Taemin for speaking for me, thank-you Sang Hee for always being by my side. Thank-you Mr. Ahn for believing in me.” Walking towards Taemin I whisper so that only he can hear. “Thank-you for giving me something worth speaking for.”

Stunned Taemin stands up, wrapping his arms around me he whispers to me. “Thank-you for letting me hear you, letting me be close to you.” Kissing my cheek he smiles at me before lightly pressing his lips against mine.



 

I'll admit towards the end I started to lose it :/

Comment, Subscribe, Request!!