Somebody Can Do It Better

SHINee One Shots & Drabbles

 

“That clumsy demeanor is just a way to give girls that sense of false security,” Minho lectures me as he plucks my phone from my hands. I already know he’s deleting Onew’s number.

Pouting I tilt my head in disapproval of my cousin’s behavior. “I thought you were best friends with the guy.” I point out, how bad could Onew really be? I mean Minho is the pickiest person I know when it comes to friends.

Minho glares at me momentarily before softening his gaze, “Michan, I know that…but Onew is different when it comes to being friends and being with a girl.”

Sighing I hold my hand out for my phone, “I’m pretty sure I’ll be ok.” I tell him gesturing for him to return my phone.

“Michan, I’m being serious. Don’t mess with him.” Minho had warned me.

 

Minho is rarely wrong, and when he is it’s never good. This time though Minho was right. I should have listened, I should have just left Onew alone, I should have never given him a second thought. But it was so hard when I kept seeing him all the time with Minho…

 

“So Michan how’s it going?” Onew asks me smiling, oh god, the boy has a beautiful smile. “Is Minho keeping you under lock and key?” That slightly arrogant and knowing tone was just driving me crazy. I just know I’ll be thinking about him all day now.

Smirking at him I shrug my shoulders, I’d thought that talking would be ok, that you know nothing bad will come of it. “Minho has just warned me.” I tell him innocently, getting up from my seat I leave Onew and take my seat by Taemin.

“You should be careful around him.” Taemin murmurs to me, glancing at Onew then at me he frowns. “Minho is right, Onew can be a great friend, but he’s different with girls.”

Rolling my eyes I lightly tap Taemin on the forehead. “I’ll be fine, and besides you saw, I walked away from him didn’t I?”

“I also saw you wavering. Don’t let him fool you.” Taemin warns me.

 

They all told me to be careful, to watch myself, not to let myself get mixed up with their friend. He was different with girls. I hadn’t known what that meant; I wasn’t sure what to make of it. So Onew acted differently with girls, isn’t that a good thing? God, I was so naïve to think like that. To ignore all the warnings I’d been given.

 

“Where are you going?” Minho asks me suspiciously as I head to the door, curing in my head at being caught so quickly. “Michan?” Minho has always watched out for me. He isn’t too happy when I go out in short clubbing dresses. I’ve always been close with Minho; we’ve had each other’s back when no one else did.

“I’m hanging out with some friends.” I tell him lightly, “I’ll be back before morning don’t worry.” I tell him trying to sneak past him. “I’ll call you on my way home.”

“Michan…” Sighing he watches me a moment before turning to go back to his room. Leaving I happily walk out of the apartment and out of the complex and to the car waiting.

“Hey, so you excited?” Onew asks me smiling.

Nodding my head I get in the passenger seat. Onew asked me to go dancing, what harm could dancing do? Besides Onew has been nothing but sweet and sure slightly clumsy like Minho said he was. “Very, so what’s this club called again?” I ask him smiling. Besides it’s not like it’s a date, just two people with mutual friends going to a club, minus the mutual friends. Seemingly platonic even, ok maybe not, but it’s not a date.

Onew grins at me, “SHAWOL WORLD, it’s supposed to be amazing, I’ve gone a couple of times.”

 

That should have been a warning to me, who goes to a club by themselves just to check it out a few times? Not too many people. It bothered me a little that he’d gone a few times, but it was Onew, he was cute and had his own charm. I let it slide, and I’d told myself it didn’t mean anything to me anyways, this wasn’t a date.

 

“You can get us in?” I ask in shock, a few of my friends have said it’s like impossible if you don’t know someone.

“Well yeah, I wouldn’t ask you if I couldn’t Michan.” The way he says my name is like a song. Like the first time he said it pronouncing each syllable so carefully, looking at me to confirm he’d said it correctly. Saying it the same ever since. Emphasizing the ‘m’ and the ‘i’ and then letting it flow gracefully into the ‘chan’.

Smiling at him I nod my head “Alright Mr. Sassy.” I joke resting my arm on the console.

Onew grins at me, that beautiful smile he rests his hand on top of mine.

 

At the time it seemed harmless, it wasn’t like he was pulling his hand away, so why should I? It was just holding hands, and not even that, just resting hands together at the same place. But that night had been amazing, Onew and I danced and dancing can have a little bit of harm. That night we kissed, it was wonderful and perfect. It definitely wasn’t the last one either though…

 

Eating ice cream Onew and I were playfully feeding each other some of our own. I grin at him happily, laughing at how cute he is and how utterly perfect he is. “Oppa!” I giggle as he smears some on my face.

“What? I think you look very charming.” He says grinning, walking over to me he wipes the ice cream off gently, “But if it makes you upset then here.” He says kissing my cheek.

Him being so close I smelt something not so manly, not like his normal smell, more feminine like perfume.

 

I must have been crazy. There were signs, of course there was. I was just stupid. I didn’t want to suspect him, I was happy being with him and besides it wasn’t all the time. I lulled myself into this sense that nothing was wrong and I decided that it hadn’t mattered. Onew would never cheat; he’s not that kind of guy.

 

“I can’t make it to our date tonight, but maybe breakfast tomorrow Angel?” Onew says over the phone, I thought I heard a giggle, but I ignored that. “Baby?”

“Yeah, sure.” I mumble disappointed, this wasn’t the first time. Onew had been cancelling on me more and more. He’d told he was working late, saving up so we could go out and have fun.

Hanging up I get changed and walk out to the living room to join Minho and the others for a movie. “I thought you were going out.” Key says as I sit next to him.

“Naw, I’ve already been to the club, and I haven’t spent time with you guys in a while.” I say innocently. “I miss my boys.”

Key grins at me and wraps and arm around my shoulder “Well I’m glad to have you around tonight.” He says kissing my cheek.

Smiling I turn my attention to the movie. I didn’t even care; I just couldn’t stand to be alone tonight.

 

It wasn’t long until Minho found out. He was so angry and furious. I was still waiting around for Onew to come for our dates he promised, to go do the things he’d promised. Things and dates that would never happen, at least not for me; plenty of other girls though would. They’d gotten my dates.

 

“Michan! I told you how he is, Key, Jonghyun, and Taemin told you!” Minho yells at me, “Don’t you think it’s strange how he keeps canceling?” He asks softening his voice. “I don’t want you to get hurt.”

I shake my head “He says he’s just been a little busy.” I whisper tears threatening to fall; of course I know what it looks like. I’d be stupid not to. So what does it make me if I’m still waiting around?

“Michan you have to know how that sounds…” Minho says on his knees in front of me “I don’t know what he’s been telling you, but…” Tears fall as I listen to Minho. “He’s been seeing this other girl. A couple actually…”

Sobbing I watch Minho, my tears falling, Minho watches me pain evident on his face, throwing my arms around him I cry.

 

I still didn’t believe Minho or rather I didn’t want to believe. I still kept waiting, I kept seeing Onew. I’d decided to be blind to ignore all the things that I wasn’t sure of.

 

Walking down the sidewalks window shopping for a gift for Onew, I blink in surprise when I see him walking with a girl. “Oppa can we go to lunch?”

‘She’s just a sister, a cousin, or a close friend’ I’d thought to myself, it isn’t anything; nothing to worry about.

“Of course, we can.” He says kissing her on the lips.

They were walking right towards me; I immediately turn and duck into a little shop. Biting back tears as they pass by completely unaware or rather Onew unaware of what I’d seen. Blinking the tears out I exit the shop, walking in the opposite direction trying to calm my feelings. I don’t want to cry, I don’t want to remember.

“Minho, would you say ‘I told you so?’” I ask him my lip trembling, I don’t care if the others are about to see me break down. I need my oppa; I need someone to tell me everything will be ok.

Minho looks at me and shakes his head. “Come here Michan.” He whispers getting up with open arms, running into them I cry. “Shh, everything will be alright.”

Pulling away after what seems like hours he smiles at me “Oppa I was stupid.” I mumble looking up at him.

“No, you were trusting. That’s nerve stupid.” He says ruffling my hair. “Come on the guys and I were about to go to Taemin’s place to play video games.” He says smiling.

“Yeah, you can dominate!” Jonghyun says brightly, “We can team up.”

“Yah, that’s not fair!” Key complains smiling at me “Why do you get the best?!”

Laughing I join arms with Minho and Jonghyun. “Thanks guys.” I whisper wiping my tears away.

 

I wasn’t going to take that kind of thing and just not do anything about it. Some girls may be okay with that sort of thing, but not me. I’m Choi Michan. I’m stronger than this. I know I am. I have to be.

 

Walking in with Minhyuk I smile at Minho, “Oppa I want you to meet someone.” I say smiling; Minhyuk was holding my hand, a grin on his face.

Minho turns to me, smiling, “Who’s this?”

Minhyuk nudges me forward, I catch sight of Onew for a moment, I smile at Minho, “Minhyuk.”

“Ah, this is Minhyuk.” Minho says smiling, he’s happy. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“You too, Michan has told me about all of you.” He says pleasantly, he must have counted, “Most of you.” He corrects himself.

“Minhyuk, this is Key, Jonghyun and Taemin.” I tell him smiling happily, “Oh and Onew.” I say dully, I wasn’t about to let him ruin this for me.

The guys all include Minhyuk in conversation, getting up I go to get a drink, Onew’s there. Like he’d waited for me.

“He seems ok.” Onew says dryly. “You seem different though.” He says looking at me, reaching his hand out.

Slapping it down I glare at him. “Don’t you dare pretend everything is ok.” I tell him quietly. “I am different Onew, I know better now than I did.” I tell him grabbing a bottle of water for me and Minhyuk.

"Nobody can do what I did with you like me." Onew says cockily. "There isn't anyone that can treat you like me."

Rolling my eyes I smirk at him. "You're right. No one can cheat and ruin a relationship like you can. I'm not going to play the fool for you. I'm not going to fall back into your arms. I'm better than that. But somebody can treat me like I deserve." Turning around I say one last thing before I leave the kitchen "Minhyuk can do all the things you did, but the only difference is I won't be one of many. I'll be the only one. Somebody can do it better than you Onew because he isn't playing the field, he isn't busy looking for the next when he's happy with who he's with."

 

Minhyuk had been able to erase what Onew had done. He’d been able to make me forget. I didn’t think back on what had happened. He made me happy, and only me. I didn’t have to worry about other girls.

 

Staring out the window I glance at Minho, he’s smiling contently. “You know I’ve never seen Onew so shaken.”

“Eh, I was worried when I first saw him; I wasn’t expecting him to be here.” I whisper quietly holding my knees to my chest. “Oppa I thought it wouldn’t feel like it does.”

“Michan don’t even worry about him. Just keep smiling.” Minho says rubbing my back. “Minhyuk though, he seems really nice.”

“He plays the drums.” I mumble blushing slightly. “I really like him Oppa.”

Minho grins at me. “I like him; he seems to treat you really well.” Poking my sides he smiles at me. "You look like you're happier."

I grin at him. "He does. It doesn't hurt as much anymore."

Onew may have been a jerk, but when he did treat me like I was the only one everything was perfect. I was happy, he was happy and it was like nothing could go wrong. Maybe though perfect isn’t the right word. I just hope that I can feel what I felt with Onew with Minhyuk .


I'm trying to make longer one shots / drabbles. I actually had a difficult time writing this one. Onew being a player is a really foreign idea to me. But I liked the challenge to give him that personality, even if you don't really see it. Anyways I hope you enjoy your request MiChan ^^

Comment, Request and Subscribe!!