Now and Then

SHINee One Shots & Drabbles

He’d been the one to torture me during high school. He’d been the one to make me feel like nothing. Then after high school it was like everything changed. Jonghyun wasn’t the one making me cry anymore, he was the one wiping the tears away of the guy that made them.

“You shouldn’t waste tears on him.” Jonghyun says wiping them away, helping me up off the ground. “Besides Michan I’m sure I toughened you up from all the things I did to you.”

Frowning I look at him, confused now “Why are you here?” I ask him stepping away from him, wiping my tears away myself. “Come to add to the pain? Huh?” I ask him spitefully. “God I thought once I got in here that I’d been rid of you.”

He smirks at me, “I’m here because I got in too, and I’m here with you because I saw how that guy treated you.” He says furrowing his brow. “How in the world did you end up dating that jerk?”

I was about to open my mouth and tell him, instead I turn on my heels to walk away, I didn’t feel like telling Jonghyun, the Kim Jonghyun, about my problems. He’d made me feel bad enough then I didn’t need him doing that here. “Oh come on Michan.”

“It isn’t any of your business Jonghyun. Besides why do you even care? As I recall you made me cry plenty of times and never cared then.” I try picking up my speed, but despite his short legs he’s able to keep up with me. Stopping I look at him. “Seriously leave me alone. Don’t you think you’ve done enough to me for one life time?” I ask him throwing my arms to the side. My day has been rotten enough without him to add to it.

“Look I know how I treated you.” He says sighing, “And I’m sorry I was stupid.” I give him a nod, he shakes his head. “Aish, look I don’t like to see you crying alright? Let me take you to dinner.”

Laughing bitterly I walk away from him. “No.” I tell him as he follows me asking again. “I am not going to dinner with you. You made my life a living hell in high school. There isn’t anything you can do to make up for that Jonghyun. Nothing.” And so I leave him standing there probably slightly stunned that I had finally stood up for myself, that I’d taken charge and told him to leave me alone. I should have said something like that years ago.

 

Sitting at home I think back on what Jonghyun had said ‘How in the world did you end up dating that jerk?’ How did I end up dating him? Oh right. He’d been sweet, funny, charming, good looking and refreshing. Everything that a girl could want right? So what happened?

Hearing a knock on the door I get up, answering it I see Junsu, well a beat up Junsu. “I’m sorry.” As he steps away I see Jonghyun smirking at me, “I’m sorry for treating you like you were nothing when I should have treated you like a princess, something that I don’t deserve and never will.”

Jonghyun lets him pass and leave I stare at him dumbfounded. “Nothing, nothing at all?”
Rolling my eyes I shut the door on his face. The next thing I know is I hear singing coming from outside my door. Loud and beautiful. C.R.A.P. Opening my door I glare at him, he stops. “What exactly are you trying to do?” I snap at him.

He sighs. “I’m trying to get you see I’m really not a bad person.”

“A good person beats up a guy?”

“For a pretty girl he does.” Jonghyun says matter-of-factly. “Look, I know I was a jerk to you back in high school, and I can’t change that. I was mean and horrible. And right now I’d like nothing more than to make up for it.” He says all this with a burning look in his eyes, “I’m sorry Michan.”

Sighing I stare at Jonghyun he seems sincere enough. “Look Jonghyun, I appreciate your apology, I really do, and even getting Junsu to apologize too, but I just don’t see why you even care at all.” I tell him shaking my head. “Look I’m tired, can you just leave please?” I ask him with a desperate hint in my voice. All I know is that Jonghyun confuses me and that I just want to go to sleep. “Please.”

Getting up Jonghyun nods his head. “Michan I’ll go.” He says sighing, stuffing his hands in his pockets. Heading to the door, he turns around and smiles at me. “Bye Michan.”

Blinking in confusion I nod my head “Bye Jonghyun.”

 

Waking up the next morning to the sunlight filtering through my window I roll over trying to figure out what my dream had meant. Why I would ever have a dream involving me, Jonghyun and kissing. It was beyond me and yet I was oddly happy with such a strange dream. Getting dress I shake that off, there was definitely no way that’d happen. Grabbing my bag I head to get breakfast before class.

Eating my breakfast quietly and peacefully I sigh looking out the window. “So is breakfast out of the question too?” A voice asks me, looking up I see Jonghyun looking at me eyes hopeful.

“I guess not.” I say nodding to the seat across from me.

Taking a seat he orders, and then he turns his attention to me, folding his arms on the table. “You look well rested.”

Shrugging my shoulders I smile “Well I did sleep well. Probably because I really don’t have to worry about Junsu anymore…Thank you Jonghyun.”

This seems to liven him up “It was nothing.”

 

Jonghyun and I started eat breakfast together every day, and then lunch, and when I was in a giving mood dinner. I started spending so much time with him that I completely forgot how he’d treated me before. All that I could think about was how he treated me now, how he took care of me and looked out for me.

 

“So Michan” Jonghyun says sitting on the swings next to me. “I was wondering something.”

“Oh?” I ask him curiously, turning to look at him. “What is it?”

He chuckles getting up, “I was wondering if you’d say ‘yes’ to a date with me.” He states getting up to stand in front of my swing.

Surprised I stare at him wide eyed. “Pardon me?”

He smiles at me “I suppose surprise is better than a laugh or an outright ‘no’.” Jonghyun says smiling at me. “Will you go on a date with me Michan?” Nodding my head he leans down and kisses my forehead. “Good, I’ll pick you up later for our date.” Jonghyun says grinning at me, that same mischievous smile.

Blinking in surprise as he takes my hand and leads me to the bus stop “What?”


The date with Jonghyun was perfect. We ate food from street vendors, went window shopping, and he’d then taken me to the observatory to look at the stars before taking me back home. It was like everything had fallen into place. The dates after as well, the two of us seemed to work out perfectly. Eventually he’d asked me to be his girlfriend. Even then things don’t ever stay perfect, but they seemed to just fit in with life.

 

“I told you Jonghyun I had a project to work on.” I tell him rolling my eyes sitting in front of my laptop typing up a rough draft for a paper. “And I still have to finish writing my research paper.”

“All I’m saying is I don’t like that guy.” He says not caring that I was assigned partners, not caring if this conversation is hurting me because he’s so jealous, that he doesn’t trust me enough to work on a project with some guy.

“You know I don’t even know what your problem is.” I tell him glaring up at him while he paces in front of me. “I’m not flirting with him, we spend the whole entire time working on the project, I decline on going to lunch or whatever with him so I can spend some time with you, but all you want to do is whine about me spending time working on my project.”

“He’s constantly hitting on you, and when you’re not around he’s making obscene comments about you.” Jonghyun says sighing heavily. “I hate to hear people talk about you like that.”

Getting up I Jonghyun’s face gently “You don’t have to defend me all the time.”

“Michan…” He groans taking my hands into his. “I don’t want you to get hurt.”

Smiling I shake my head. “It won’t, I don’t care what they say. I’m happy with you; I don’t need some moron when I have you.”

A small smile appears on his face. “That shouldn’t make me happy, you insulted me.” He says chuckling leaning his forehead against mine “But I’ll take it.” He mumbles kissing me gently.

 

“Hey Michan” Yoochun says grinning at me, “I see you’re with him today.”

Jonghyun rolls his eyes, his arm holding me tighter around my waist. “Deh, I’m normally with Jjong” This calms him down. “I’ll see you in class.”

“I don’t like him.” Jonghyun says once we’re out of ear shot. “He looks at you funny.”

“You are out of your mind.” I tell him softly. “I don’t see why you get all worried when people talk to me.”

Jonghyun frowns. “It’s not people; it is guys, guys that happen to have a rather strong attraction to you.” Sighing he takes my hand and smiles at me. “You really don’t notice the looks?”

Shrugging my shoulders I smile at him. “I see how you look at me.”

Chuckling he pulls me into his arms for a hug. “Aigo, when did you get so cute?”

“Oh my god, tell me that I’m being tricked.” I hear a voice say, looking around I see Jin Ri, her staring at me in horror. “Michan tell me that you aren’t friends with that...that...that jerk!”

Jonghyun releases me. “Jin Ri?”

“Yah, get away from my friend you bully!” She yells tugging me away from Jonghyun. “Michan have you lost your mind, don’t you remember this guy?” She asks me in shock.

“Jin Ri, it’s alright. Jonghyun isn’t like that.” I tell her gently. Jin Ri had been my friend when Jonghyun’s number one priority was tormenting me. “We’re dating.”

“Omo, you have gone mad!” She says glaring at him, “Do I need to remind you what happened in high school? Do I?”

Shaking my head I look back at Jonghyun, “People change, Jonghyun's been really good to me these last few months.”

“Jin Ri, I’m sorry.” He says bowing, “I know how I acted back then but I really have changed since.”

I look at Jonghyun, in high school I would have given anything to have him say that, now though it seems pointless. “Oppa…” I mutter walking over to him pulling him up. “Come on, Jin Ri come.” I say waving her to follow.

Following next to me suspicious of Jonghyun she stares at us. “My god, you weren’t kidding.”

“I know what happened in the past and I’ve forging Jonghyun for it already,” I say glancing back at him, Jonghyun’s suddenly serious stature frightening me. “He’s been there for me.”

“So you decide to just date him? Forgetting everything that happened?”

“That’s not who he is anymore.” I argue. “Jonghyun is kind, sweet, and charming. He hasn’t done anything to hurt me since we graduated.” I tell her bluntly. “I really like him.”

Sighing she glances at Jonghyun. “I guess, but if you screw this up and hurt her I will pulverize you dino.”

Fighting a laugh down I send a look to Jin Ri.

“What?”

“Dino?” Jonghyun asks confused. “Why dino?”

Laughing Jin Ri glances at me. “She never told you?”

“Michan?

Giggling I hold his hand in mine. “When you’d been terrible to me Jin Ri and I would call you dino, shorty-dino, or something.” I say with a small smile.

Laughing in disbelief he tugs me closer to him. “I didn’t know you could have a mean streak.” He says smiling. “Jin Ri, you don’t have to worry about me hurting Michan.” He says looking at me. “After all I’ve given Michan my heart.”

Blinking I stare at him in shock, did he just say what I think. “What?”

“Yeah, I love you.” He says kissing my cheek affectionately. “I love you a lot Michan.”

Choking slightly I blush, hiding my face in his arm I smile happily. “I love you too.”

“Oh, yuck. Do the love fest when there isn’t an audience.” Jin Ri says jokingly.


A Request for MiChan
And maybe I lied about going to get lunch, but I'm going now. For real.
>(.u.)>
Also let's start a count down...

[34 left]