Confidence Boost

SHINee One Shots & Drabbles

I attended the same school as Lee Jinki, now SHINee’s Onew. Things have changed quite a bit since then. For one I don’t dance anymore, and secondly Jinki is famous now and performs all around the world.

So you can probably imagine my surprise when we bumped each other on the street. I was going to brush him off as a random stranger, but the moment our eyes met I knew who this person was instantly. “Jinki” I mumble surprised as I stare at him shocked.

Said boy grins at me excitedly, recognition snapping across his face instantly. “Yunhee, it’s been years.” It has I silently agree. It has in fact been a very long time. “Are you busy right now? I was just on my way to get something to drink, we should catch up.” He says excitedly.

I find myself unable to refuse. “I never could say ‘no’ to you.” I say with a small chuckle, that hasn’t changed one bit, Jinki smiles even wider, that same smile from high school. “Let’s go before we get mobbed or something.” I joke lightly, though he glances around seriously. I suppose that is a real possibility now.

Jinki leads the way and I follow; just like old times. Having bumped into him seems surreal, the last time we saw each other he was still a trainee and I was in Dance Company.

Taking our seats, Jinki looks at me and just for a moment it was like we were still high school students dreaming, but not all dreams happen and we aren’t teenagers dreaming of a life that we crave. “So are you still with Wings?” He asks leaning forward earnestly. The sound of his voice brings me out of the countless memories and back to our sudden meeting. I shake my head, a frown coming to my face naturally. “Are you with a different company then?” The way Jinki asks is just like him.

“I’m not dancing anymore.” I saw with a heavy sigh. “I haven’t in years.” I confess, and of course Jinki frowns. “But you already guessed that.” I say smiling softly.

“How can you look like that and say all of that?” Jinki asks in disbelief. “You gave you your dream.” He mutters sadly.

I feel that same feeling radiate throughout my body, the feeling of humiliation fresh, the fear eating away at me and worst of all the feeling of despair that comes with giving up a huge part of who you are. “It’s been a long time, I’ve already accepted it.” I say honestly as I shrug my shoulders. “A lot has happened since we were seventeen.”

Jinki furrows his brow and tilts his head just like he always has when he’s trying desperately to figure something out. “Do you remember the Yunhee from high school?” My friend asks while smiling at me. “Because I do. She was bright, lively and a shining star.”

“She had a lot of guts.” I add sighing sadly. “But a few harsh words turned a lot of people and with even more words being pointed at me, each one ridiculing me…” Biting my lip I watch him for a moment. “I made a lot of mistakes, and finally I couldn’t take it.” I say summing the story up. “I fell off stage and I never got back up. But yeah, I remember the Yunhee from high school.”

“I bet you’re still amazing.” He says confidently. “I bet you’re still the best.” Rolling my eyes at him I shake my head. Though I’m thoroughly taken back as he grabs my arm and pulls me out of the little café and down the street until he hails a cab and pushes me in, I wasn’t expecting to be kidnapped. “You’re not washed up and you’re still Yunhee.”

I remain silent as I let this crazy guy lead me around and I that familiar skip in my pulse, the difficulty in breathing properly; it almost feels like the fear I held in while I was dancing, but this is different, this is familiar and relaxing at the same time electrifying.

As soon as he pays the fare Jinki is tugging me out and yanking me inside a building, through the doors, up some steps and eventually into an elevator, which he impatiently taps his foot, as the doors slide open he drags me down a hall and into a stairwell where we go up. Finally bursting through a door, he olds his arm out for me and grins like everything is solved. “You have your audience.”

I follow to where he is pointing, I see buildings, but in a moment it clicks. “You are way too clever and cheesy.” I mumble smiling at him.

“The city is indeed waiting.” He teases taking a seat on a bench. “How often does this chance come? You get to dance in front of everyone in Seoul.” I send the taunting friend a look, and I take a deep breath. I try to picture me taking that first step, closing my eyes I try again without any luck, but I quickly find someone, Jinki, taking my hands and swaying them gently. “Do you remember? I’d do this right before you had to go backstage.”

“You’d squeeze my hands twice and then push me off with a grin.” I mumble opening my eyes cautiously. “You’ve always been that confidence boost.” I mumble as he squeezes my hands once.

Jinki smiles at me and nods his head knowingly. “You were the inspiration.” He mumbles shyly quickly he pecks my lips and then squeezes my hands once more and pushes me back slightly. “You’re shining already, Yunhee.”

For a moment I’m stunned, but as I smile I take that last bit of courage I have, why not give it my best shot? I take that first step, the one I should never have taken back, at least now I have someone to dance for. Someone I've missed.


 

For WinterRose~!
I hope you like it ^^

 

Well guys, the next one is the last one. > n <
Thank you all for reading, subscribing, requesting and even upvoting.
c: