Falling Asleep

SHINee One Shots & Drabbles

Sitting on the roof I stare up at the stars, 3 AM. I’m starting to get a little worried about my late night expenditures up here on the roof. Watching people walk around I frown at them for having something to do so early in the morning or should I say late at night? Regardless I’m jealous of them having something to do; to have someone to go to, someone waiting for them to return to their beds, someone that misses them dearly.

“What are you doing up here?” A voice calls interrupting my night, my thoughts my life. “I thought I was the only one that came up here.”

Turning I see a boy, small frame, if he tries anything I’m positive I can throw him off the roof. “No, I’ve been coming here for years now.” I tell him shrugging my shoulders. “If you want to be alone you can leave.” I suggest turning to look back at the sky.

“Yah, I was only asking why you were here, not that you answered.” The same boy complains taking a seat next to me. “So?”

Chuckling I shrug my shoulders. “Sleepless nights? Too many things going through my head at once? Trying to figure out if I’d done something different if that’d have changed things.” I ask him. “Nothing at the same time.” I tell him looking over at him. In the dark I can barely make out his features, the kid is good looking; his hair is a weird color, reddish, a very delicate face. “What about you?” I ask him turning to look back at all the people below as a slight summer breeze starts, warm and comforting. Maybe the company will help to lull me to sleep…

“I used to come here all the time; I just needed to get away for a little while.” He says carelessly. “Everyone is always asking something from me; it was starting to get suffocating.” His breathing heavy like he’s ready to scream or to throw something. “It makes me a little crazy to think about it, all the people watching, some ready to cheer me on while others are ready to tear me apart at the slightest mistake.”

Watching him talk about it I frown, is this life, extremes? Is there any middle ground? “So you’ll go back?” I ask him looking away in the other direction, “You’ll go back and endure it all? What for?” I ask him curiously.

“My family, friends, the fans, to prove people wrong. It’s my dream and I’m getting to live it. I don’t care how tiring it gets or how little free time I get. I love what I do. Don’t you have a dream; don’t you just have anything in your life that you’d give up anything to keep?”

Sighing I look around trying to wrack my brain for an answer before deciding to let it go, to let what I’ve kept in my heart for so long. “What if you already lost it?” I ask him quietly. “What if your dream is already shot, impossible?” I continue holding my tears back. “I couldn’t save her, she needed me and I let her down.” I tell him standing up. “I should have been there for her, I let my own sister die; I let her die in some alleyway!” I scream as tears fall down my face. “I’ve messed up already.” I mumble falling on my , gathering my knees close, holding them tight against my chest I bury my face into my legs. “What’s worse is I have no idea how to change that, I want to and I wish I could but I can’t. I sit here until early morning before I can finally get some rest.”

“That’s terrible.” He says, hearing the crunching gravel and then his hand rubbing my back. “Eventually though you’ll find that peace. Right now is scary right?” Nodding my head he sighs before wrapping his arms around me, he is tiny, just itty bitty. “You’ll pull through.”

Looking up I frown seeing a face I never thought I’d see comforting me, one I never even imagined to comfort me, and yet here he is wiping my tears away, trying his best to make me feel better. “What are you doing here?” I ask shocked stepping away, confused; I know his family used to live around here that we’d gone to the same school until high school, that our parents knew each other. “Taemin?” I ask him standing up wiping my tears away. “You’re some big star what are you doing back here?”

“Taeyeon?” He asks shocked, “I thought you went to America for school?” He says stumbling around. “Your sister, you mean Miyoung…”

Sighing I hold my arms together against my chest. “I suppose it’s been awhile now, huh?” I ask him sighing. “I was supposed to, but after Miyoung died I sort of lost it, I rejected all the offers, I just couldn’t bear to leave.” I whisper, looking at Taemin I sigh sadly.  “A lot has changed.”

Taemin sits me down on the ground again. “It’s been a long time, so you’ve been doing what since…?” He asks me confused.

Sighing I air in, “She died three years ago, a little over a year you debuted actually.” I say sadly. “I haven’t been able to do anything. I got a job and started working; I wasn’t sure what to do next. It broke my parents’ hearts so they moved away, but I couldn’t it was like if I left I’d be forgetting and it wouldn’t be right. So I stayed.”

“And the couple years you’ve been coming here?”

Sighing I push Taemin lightly. “Early evening until early morning. I can’t sleep…I haven’t been able to in such a long time.” I mumble leaning against him. “Do you remember when we all had the birthday party?” I ask him absently.

Chuckling he leans back against the wall. “Of course, it was the year I confessed how much I loved you, and you then said we’d get married one day after we got all our dreams accomplished, the last being our wedding day.” Taemin chuckles lightly. “It made me so happy, and I just had to go and accomplish my dreams all the sooner.”

“And I forgot mine.” I whisper blinking. “I remember holding hands through the rest of the party, despite the many attempts from our parents to separate us.” I chuckle at the memory.

Taemin rubs my head, helping me relax more, yawning I snuggle closer to him. “You haven’t forgotten, you just won’t go for them anymore, if you don’t hurry soon though, I’ll be waiting through the nights. Sleepless nights for you to accomplish your dreams Taeyeon. But I suppose for the night you should get some sleep for once right?” He asks as I begin nodding off. “Rest, I’ll be here in the morning.” He whispers taking hold of my hand, helping me remember something good I had in my life.


A Little break from the Taemin X Jiae story, something a little depressing, but happy? Thank you guys for the comments I enjoy reading them all. ^^

Comment, Subscribe Request!!