Key, I'm In Love With Your Best Friend

SHINee One Shots & Drabbles

 

Key-Hyung introduced us to his best friend he had while growing up. I was expecting some guy he played water polo with, or a guy he’d been friends with since he was two, I wasn’t expecting for his best friend to be her, a girl so good looking, kind and understanding. I wasn’t expecting anyone like Ahn Hyorin.

 

“Hey Min, is Key-Oppa in?” Hyorin asks standing at the door. “Anyone home?” She asks waving a hand in my face, I sort of space out around her, I just get lost in her voice and her eyes.

“Sorry.” I mumble nervously. “Aniyo, Key-Hyung is at SM recoding a song.”

Pouting she checks her phone. “Boo!”

“What?” I ask confused, she’s pretty cute, he little antics. “Boo?”

“Sorry…Key just texted me to come and hang out, I assumed he’s he here.” Blowing her bangs out of her face she texts him. “Well I’ll get out of the way. I’d hate to ruin your day off.”

“Aniyo.” I mumble again. “You could wait here; maybe Key-Hyung is on his way back.” I lie; they’ll be there all day knowing him.

“You sure?” She asks looking up at me. “I don’t want to impose.”

I’m not entirely sure she is Key’s best friend, I mean sometimes it makes sense but other times like this it just doesn’t always add up to how they met. She can be nothing like him one moment but then she’ll say or do something just like Key. “Come on in.” I say inviting her in.

Bowing she slips her shoes off. “So Minho have the place to yourself?”

“Neh, for now. Taemin and Onew are on a variety show while Jonghyun and Key are recoding.”

“It’s so quite here without them.” She says smiling. “Sort of strange.”

Nodding my head I lead us into the dorm. “Hyorin you thirsty?” I ask behind the counter, watching her skip in, she’s so small and delicate, it’s hard to imagine her living alone in the city.

“A little.”

“Water?”

“Neh, Minho mind me asking you something?”

“Go ahead.” I say getting tow cups out of one of the cupboards. Hyorin twirls to the counter, gracefully.

“Do you think it’s strange that Key and I are best friends?”

“Wae?” I ask a little shocked; I mean I was just thinking it is a little odd.

“Taemin and Onew do.” She whispers. “I guess I do too, just a little, but more than anything I’m curious.”

Setting the cup down in front of her I smile. “At first I did. But after a while it started making sense, I began to understand.”

“What?” She asks her eyes focused on me, but quickly shifting to the cup as she takes a sip.

Chuckling I watcher for a moment. “You and Key, that you’ve both known each other so long that you understand everything between you two. Sometimes sure you can be a little odd for best friends but most of the time you’re both so in sync. But at the bottom of it you and Key have a lot of history that only you two know, you both are really caring for each other. You’re best friends.”

Smiling up at me she says something a little surprising. “It’s the same with the five of you. To be honest I was afraid of meeting you all; Key always speaks so highly of you guys.”

“I don’t think we’re intimidating.”

Nodding her head she continues. “You aren’t it’s the bond you five have I didn’t want to mess anything up, I mean Jonghyun at first didn’t like me.”

I remember him being a jerk to Hyorin, never addressing her, insulting her when he could, but after a while Key got fed up with it, he told him that Hyorin wouldn’t dare say anything like that about him, that with everything he’d said she still talks so highly of him when he comes us, after that Jonghyun accepted her, the two get along so well that it pisses Key off a little. “He’s our resident idiot.”

Chuckling she looks around. “You know, we’ve never really spent any time together, or talked for that matter.” She says.

“Yeah you’re right.”

Gulping the water down Hyorin places the cup down. “So what were you doing when I came over?”

Pointing to the couch I let out a relaxed sigh. “Sitting.”

“Ah, you can’t just sit normally.” She jokes, even though she’s right, normally the others are fighting to watch a movie, play a game or something.

“Would you like to join me?” I ask her, Hyorin, she’s really beautiful, in a way that makes a lot of sense that Key would introduce her, in other ways it doesn’t. I mean at the same time Key is protective of her, he hates it when Jonghyun and she flirt or when Onew offers to buy her chicken even when Taemin just wants to show her some new dance move he’s worked on.

While sitting there on the couch with Hyorin and just talking with her I realize that she’s really amazing, someone I really like talking with. “Key’s really protective over you.”

“Neh, growing up it was just us for a while. Key Oppa and I used to always hang out, now though I think he feels a little guilty.”

“Why? Key isn’t exactly what I’d call the guilty type.”

She nods her head, her eyes softening talking about the past. “We stopped talking for a long time, back then I thought I’d never see him again, that Key had finally out grew me being his friend, and so then it was just me. Like Key told you guys I live alone, when my parents went to take care of my grandparents they told Key’s mother, but by then I’d been by myself for a little over a year.”

Listing to Hyorin explain made me feel sad, but of course just as we were bonding everyone else comes home.

“Hyorin?” Key calls.

“It was nice actually hanging out, we should do this again.” She says getting up. “See you around Minho.”

“Yeah.” I say waving to her.

Staring at the place she had sat, it being filled by Onew and Jonghyun. “What up?”

“Just sitting.”

Jonghyun elbows Onew mischievously. “All alone with Hyorin all day.”

“Until you all came home.” I tell them getting up. “What’s for dinner?”

“Whatever Key makes.” Taemin says coming in. “Hyung you said we’d watch a movie.”

“Neh,” Onew says happily retrieving one. “You going to join?” He asks me.

“Aniyo, I’m going to be in the bed room.” I tell them walking down the hall.

I was alone all day with Hyorin, just talking, laughing having a good time with her, Hyorin.

“YAH!” Key shouts. “Minho?”

“Bedroom.” All three chorus, no trust among friends.

“Hey.” Key says catching up with me. “You and Hyorin hung out all day?”

“For a while.” I tell him walking into our room, “Why?”

“No reason. I just thought you didn’t like her.”

“Wae?” I ask him confused.

“Shrugging his shoulders he glances around the room “You just never seemed particularly interested in her.”

“Aniyo.” I tell him rooming over. “Key-Hyung?”

“Neh?”

“I like her a lot.”

“Hyorin?”

“Neh, she’s really something.”

“Well Hyorin is special, Minho.” Key says slowly.

“Aniyo, she’s more, so much more.”

“It sounds like you’re in love with her.” Key says laughing, slowly stopping when he notices how serious I am.

“Maybe I’m falling in love with your best friend.”

With the room being silent, the only noise being Key stepping closer. “If that’s the case…” He says slowly deliberating on his words. “I’m glad it’s you.”

“Wae?” I ask looking at him, sitting up I stare at him.

“She’s fragile…I just want her to be happy, Minho if you’re really and honestly sincere about your feelings I want you to tell her.”

“Key-Hyung.”

“Hyorin would be happy with you, she just told me about how nice it was spending the day with you.”

“She said that?” I ask quietly, going crazy inside my head.

Key simply nods his head. “I’d say she was never been so ecstatic about just sitting.”

Sitting up I look him in the eyes. “You really don’t mind.”

“Like I said, I’m glad it’s you. If it were Jonghyun, I’d murder him.” Key says in a deadpan tone. “Just be gentle when you tell her.”

“I will.”

 

Over the next few days I tried working out a way to tell her. A way to just own up to my feelings for her.

“Key-Hyung.” I whine laying on the couch. “How?”

“You want to tell her not me.” Key says indifferently.

Thinking aloud. “Maybe…” I say standing up. When I do this I don’t want the others around. Just us, so maybe when they’re all out, but then it’d have to be tomorrow while Jonghyun are back recording I’ll have to do mine in the morning, and Onew and Taemin are back on that variety show.

“Maybe what?” Key asks looking up at me interested.

“Hyung, when I finish recording will you text Hyorin and have her come over here tomorrow?”

“Yeah, sure.” Key says happily. “You figure it out?”

Nodding my head, Key gets up smiling at me.

 

After recoding I quickly rush back, texting Key; changing into jeans and a regular long-sleeved navy blue shirt, I wait patiently for her to come.

Hearing the door I rush to it, taking a moment to gather myself, to prepare what I’m about to do.

“Hey Hyorin.” I say smiling at her.

“Minho what up?” She asks smiling. “Key here?”

“Aniyo, but you can wait here again if you’d like.”

Nodding her head she smiles at me, slipping her shoes off. “You seem much more hyped up.”

“I’m excited and a little nervous.”

“Oh?” Hyorin says curiously. “Why?”

Sitting on the couch with her, her waiting for me to explain. “I’m going to tell someone how much I like them.”

“A girl?”

“Neh.” I say nodding my head. “I like her a lot, but I’m nervous.”

“That takes a lot of courage. When are you going to tell her?”

Chuckling I glance at the clock. “Actually, I’m hoping she realizes it’s her very soon.”

Blushing she points to herself, nodding my head she smiles brightly. “Really?”

“Neh, I really like Key-Hyung’s best friend.” Taking her hand I smile at her.



 

This took forever to type up. D:< But I'm happy with the end results, normally its really hard for me to write for Minho, but this idea came along really nicely. :D

Comment, Request, Subscribe!!