If I Never

SHINee One Shots & Drabbles

Staring at Onew I blink. Once, then twice. He’s here. I feel like this is all a dream, why would he be back here, and looking for me, trying to tell me something. Tilting my head to one side then the other I watch Onew carefully. “I thought you’d be gone.” I say finally determining that this is in fact the real Onew. And not just some figment of my imagination. What were the odds he’d be here too, now when I decided to come back here randomly? The odds.

“I wanted to see you is that really so bad?” He asks me a chuckle in his tone, he looks happy. I don’t like that. He’s been happy while I’ve been trying to come to terms with out he used me. “Come here all the time hoping that you’d come back too.”

Turning on my heel I walk in the opposite direction, never mind all this, I rather just act like I never saw him, act like I don’t hear him calling my name, and most of all I want to pretend I never met him. Seeing him now like this is only making my heart hurt, making it feel like someone is squeezing on it much too much. I want to disappear. I want my heart to stop wanting him. I know better. I know better now.

Why did I even talk to him when I first saw him? Why? Why…

 

My hair was blowing in the air gently, the salty air bringing a smile to my face. I love the beach, I don’t even care that it’s too cold to even go swimming, I’m just happy to be here.

Turning my attention to the only other person braving the cold weather, a guy. Walking over to him I smile at him happily.

 

“Hana.” Onew says bringing me out of the memories. “I want to apologize.”

Sighing I watch him carefully, his arms outstretched as to keep me from walking around him. “Go on.” I mutter crossing my arms over my chest.

“I shouldn’t have lied to you back then. Hana you have to understand though, I didn’t think she’d actually come back to me.” He says quietly. “At first I didn’t think anything of us talking and meeting every day, but then I found that I needed you, I didn’t like being without you.”

Turning my head I hold my breath, I remember every moment, “The fact is though you had plenty of chances to tell me that you were waiting for a girl, a girl you thought would never come, how it is fair that you just lead me on like that? What am I supposed to do?! I waited for you for hours in the cold; by the time I got back to somewhere warm I was already sick. Sick of you.” I say spitefully. “I’m over you.” I tell him harshly.

Onew takes a deep breath. “I don’t really believe you.”

“You know if I never met you, I wouldn’t like you. If I didn’t like you, I wouldn’t love you. If I didn’t love you, I wouldn’t miss you. But I did, I do, and I will, but that doesn’t mean I forgive you.” Glaring at him I leave him standing there, there isn’t a way to justify what he did, but there also isn’t a way for me to get over him if I stand around waiting.

 

Where is Onew? He told me to meet him here in the park at six. I know I was a little late, but that’s only because I stopped to tell this girl where this place was. She really was pretty, but that’s beside the point! I couldn’t have been that late. He normally waits for me, so maybe he’s running late?

 

Chewing on my cheek I contemplate if I should run or not, hearing Onew call me I decide I better run. I run away from him. That girl I’d helped back then was her, the girl Onew was waiting for. Is this what he felt like while he was waiting for her? Did he feel so much pain in his chest he thought he might not make it? I feel like I won’t make it, but maybe that’s because he’s chasing me. Stopping suddenly I turn to face him.

“What did she say to you?” I ask him quietly as he stops to catch his breath in front of me, “What did she tell you?” I repeat impatiently.

“She was sorry. That she shouldn’t have made me wait like that.” He pants. “I told her it was too late.”

Blinking I stare at him remembering exactly what I did when I saw him talking to her.

 

Seeing him talking to her, I’d recognize the back of that head anywhere. Onew talking with the pretty girl I’d directed to the café. I suddenly wish I didn’t come here to get a warm cup of coffee. Watching in shock as she leans forward I turn away and walk straight back to the hotel I’d been staying at. I packed up and left. I left my vacation early.

 

“I went looking for you after we met. I tried telling you I’d be late, but you’d left already.” Onew whispers.  Feeling my heart swell I look away from him, why? Why can he just say something and suddenly everything I thought I knew was wrong. How can he do that? Why? “Loving someone is never simple, there are always challenges; big or small.”

Feeling my bottom lip quiver I look over at Onew, him staring at me with a smile on his face. “You know it’s never fair in love either right?” I ask him quietly. “Someone gets hurt.”

“But the other person will be there to help because they love each other.” He whispers stepping over to me hesitantly, probably scared I’ll run like a frightened deer. I don’t move I just watch him carefully. “Hana I love you. I’ll be there for you. I promise.”

If I never saw him that day I’d never would have known love, if I hadn’t ran away I never  would have known pain like I have. If I never came back I never would have known what it was like to be back in his arms.

 


 

 

Just a little something I came up with after seeing a quote.
I thought about a sad ending, but I think this ending suited it much more. c:
A little shorter than what I was hoping, but I think the content makes up for the shortness.
[32 left]