The Piano Room

SHINee One Shots & Drabbles

 

The two couldn’t be more different; Jiae’s careful work in school with her study habits; Taemin’s social butterfly personality with being adorable. Yet the two had one thing in common…their love of music. Jiae came to life while playing the piano, while Taemin’s life came from his singing and dancing. Really they lived in two completely different worlds, Taemin entertained and Jiae was entertained.

 

Growing up Jiae was given anything she could ever desire, as long as she kept up with her studies, the only thing Jiae ever wanted was to play the piano all day whatever song she wished to play, anything at all.

 

For Taemin although his family is well off they couldn’t possibly imagine his hard work, determination and fiery passion for dancing would lead him to be famous; that it would lead him to be the youngest member of SHINee.

 

While waiting for her parents to get out of a board meeting Jiae wondered into a studio with the only instrument a piano, a grand piano. Completely mesmerized by it she quickly took a seat and began to play a song, her song; as the notes were played the melody was light yet sad but flowed together. Her fingers glided along the keys, her eyes closed; Jiae had played the song enough to know it by memory, her nameless song. To her the song told her story of being trapped and confined, in truth this was her only true freedom, her way of defining who she is.

 

Frustrated and upset Taemin wandered the halls heading to his sanctuary, the rarely used piano room. To his surprise music was emitting from the room, the song foreign to him, but washed over him feeling the pain and sadness of whoever was playing. Carefully Taemin eased himself down the hall, stopping at the doorway to see the back of a young girl with long hair playing the piano, there wasn’t any music sheets in front of her from what he could tell but the sound of it the young girl has the song memorized.

Upon the end of the song Taemin dashed away while Jiae unaware of her audience made her way back to wait for her parents. Taking her seat on the slick, cold steely red chair, looking around she pouts slightly, as much as she would like she couldn’t risk being gone any longer.

As the business men and women all filed out of the meeting room all looking rather pleased their secretaries all rushed to them telling them about their next appointment. The last two people to leave both dressed in similar suits, were her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Choi.

 “Ah, Jiae let’s go.” Her parents say glancing in her direction. “We have one more appointment, you’ll be dropped off at home, and you need to complete your studies.” He mother says walking passed her.

“Yes mother.” She says following behind her obediently.

“We’ll have Jiyong drop you off at home.” Her father instructs her.

Quietly Jiae follows her parents. “Yes Father.”

“He’s waiting out front, don’t give him any trouble.”

 

Taemin watching completely fascinated by the young girl, as he’d find out her name being Jiae, Jiae the pianist, “Their daughter,” pondering to himself he sat down in one of the cool red chairs. “Who is she though?”

“Taemin there you are!” Key says walking over to the pondering blonde. “What’s wrong?”

“Do you know a Jiae?” Taemin asks him looking up at Key.

Furrowing his brows he nods his head slowly. “I know the one that used to be in T-ARA.”

“No, not her, she’s not famous, her parents are on the board for SM.”

“Choi Jiae? Why?”

“She plays the piano.” Taemin says smiling goofily, standing up he walks down the hall with Key catching up.

“Her parents are also the biggest tycoons in Seoul, Taemin.” Key says slowly. “Did you see her?”

“Yeah, sorta, I think, naw, it was her.” Taemin says smiling. “She was playing in there.” He says pointing to the grand piano room. “She’s amazing.”

“And also very high up on the social chain, it was a miracle that you even saw her.” Key says. “If you talk to her you could get in big trouble.”

“I just heard her playing the piano, you didn’t hear the song.” Taemin says stubbornly. “You didn’t hear it.” Walking away from Key Taemin rushes to the practice room the song still fresh in his mind.

“Taemin you can’t just bother her!” Key says running in.

“Bother who?” Jonghyun asks taking a seat next to Taemin.

“Choi Jiae, of the Choi family.” Key says.

“Not my family, the board of directors.” Minho says as Onew and Jonghyun both turn to look at him. “Taemin you met her?”

“Aniyo.” Taemin says smiling. “I heard her playing the piano, it was beautiful, and she’s beautiful.”

“Sounds like Taemin has a crush.” Jonghyun coos. “What’s she like?”

“I don’t know.” He says sighing. “She left after she played her song, and then her parents sent her home.”

 

“Mother have you seen my phone?” Jiae asks patting her pockets, and checking her purse. “Father?”

“No, you didn’t lose it again did you?” Her mother asks in an agitated tone.

A flash of it being left on the piano flashed through her mind. “I think I left it in the chair I was sitting in.”

“Well go get it.” My mother says getting in the car. “Jiyong go with her then take her straight home.”

Nodding his head Jiyong escorted Jiae back into the building. “You didn’t leave it in a chair did you?” Jiyong asks smirking.

Jiae shakes her head. “In a piano room.” She admits to her closest friend. “It must have fallen out of my pocket.”

Chuckling Jiyong leads them through the lobby, “You know one of these days your parents aren’t going to believe that you study all the time.”

 

“I can’t help it if I love playing the piano.” She grumbles outside the room. “I’ll meet you back at the car alright?”

Nodding his head Jiyong leaves her alone. “Careful?”

“Always.” She says looking around the room. “Where did I drop you?”

“Umm excuse me?” A voice says from behind her. “Jiae?”

Turning she sees a boy standing there waving slightly. “Hello?” She says slowly looking him up and down, a dancer, under SM. “I’m Choi Jiae.”

“I’m Lee Taemin.” He says smiling at her happily. “I heard you playing earlier…It was amazing.”

Smiling sheepishly she nods her head. “Thank-you.”

“What song was it?”

“Really it doesn’t have a name, it’s just a song I’ve…”

“Composed.” Taemin finishes. “It’s amazing, would you play it again?” He asks quietly.

Nodding her head Jiae takes a seat on the bench, patting for Taemin to take a seat next to her.

As she plays the song Taemin watches Jiae play he smiles to himself, watching as the tune changes into something a little happier.

“It’s different.” He whispers placing his hands on hers stopping the music. “Happier.”

Looking at Taemin she smiles. “Happier.”



 

:) I'm sort of thinking I'll add a sequel to this one. 

Comment, Request, Subscribe!!!