Himchan 42

B.A.P. Oneshots II

            “Hush little baby, please don’t cry.” Himchan shushed the baby in his arms and turned to look at the mess in the kitchen. Why is it that his wife had to get sick at this particular time? He had another album to promote coming up and no time for this.

            He patted his son on the back and peered into the bedroom. She was sound asleep. He checked the clock. Any second now his mother-in-law was going to waltz right in, see the mess in the kitchen and roll her eyes. Himchan groaned and placed the baby into the swing and grabbed a rag.

            He wiped furiously at the spot in the counter and sprayed Windex down the counter. He used the rag and wiped vigorously. There were yellow stains that he suspected came from the baby’s breakfast and shuddered. How had she managed this before?

            Himchan had barely finished the table and was starting on the floor when he heard the front door open. Himjong made a squealing noise and Himchan cursed under his breath. The witch has arrived.

            He knew he should turn around and greet her but every fiber of his being was protesting. She hated him because she thought her daughter should have married some wealthy CEO and he disliked her passionately because, quite frankly, she made his life hell every time she came over.

            “Omoni,” he greeted her as politely as he could. He even gave her a ninety degree bow, with an extra half a degree added on for good measure.

            She nodded curtly. “What is this mess?”

            “The baby wouldn’t eat and I was running a little late from the studio.” He hated that he had to admit to his inadequacy but there were no other explanations.

            She stiffly turned to hold the baby. “Did you give Himjong a bath?”

            “Not yet. I was going to after I cleaned it up.”

            “Did he eat?”

            “I just fed him. He needs time to digest.”

            She pursed her lips and holding the baby at her hip, she walked into their bedroom. “Sweetheart, I’m here!”

            He heard his wife say something and then the baby was crying. Himchan ran into the room and his mother-in-law attempted to bar the doorway. “She’s feeding!” she said crossly.

            “Nothing I haven’t seen before,” Himchan muttered just to be shocking and sure enough, her face blanched and she faltered just a bit. He pushed past her and saw that the baby was being fussy.

            “I gave him some of his applesauce already. You just take a break. He probably wants his bath.” His wife smiled gratefully at Himchan and he kissed her forehead. He took his son from her and muttered an “excuse me” to her mother and walked to the bathroom.

            “Himjong-ah, grow up well or else your grandmother will blame me.” Himchan sighed darkly as he held the baby’s head over the water.

            The baby blinked and squirmed a little, splashing water everywhere. When he was nice and clean, Himchan wrapped him in a blanket and changed him into his fluffy pajamas. “Time for bed, baby!”

            The moment Himchan stepped out into the hallway, however, he saw his mother-in-law glaring at him. “I’ll take care of the baby while you go to the kitchen. And has my daughter eaten yet? I heard that you got back very late from work.” She thinned her lips at the mention of what he did.

            “You’re right. I do have another album to promote and I came home late because we were stuck practicing the choreo. I’ll get to the food if you’ll take Himjong to bed.”

            She huffed and he took this opportunity to escape to the kitchen. Himchan was fuming as he grabbed the mop he had abandoned earlier and proceeded to clean up his son’s earlier messes. When at last the entire kitchen was sparkling, he went to the kitchen and threw together a well-made sandwich before remembering that the monster-in-law might actually complain.

            She found him almost dead asleep, trying to make noodles. “Himchan! Why are you not paying attention?” She snapped as she shut off the stove. “Do you not even posses simple cooking skills?”

            He kept his patience but found himself clenching his jaw. “I made a sandwich. Would you like some?”

            She sniffed. “I prefer healthier dinners. My daughter is sick. She’ll need ginseng soup. Move over. Young people these days are so helpless.”

            He gladly took her dismissal and took a bite of his sandwich and went into the nursery. Himjong was placed uncomfortably in his crib and he was moving about. Himchan cooed and went to get his favorite stuffed turtle and placed it by him. He then folded up the baby’s blanket into a triangle and covered it over him.       

            Himjong gave a tiny sigh and dug his face into the turtle before Himchan pulled it back to allow the baby room to breathe. He stood staring at his son for a good few minutes before feeling exhausted himself. He crept into his bedroom and found his wife wide awake.

            She held out her arms to him and he slipped in next to her. “Is my mom treating you alright?” she asked him softly. Himchan gave a bitter chuckle and she clucked in sympathy. “I can lock the door right now so she won’t come in,” she offered.

            He laughed out loud this time and slung an arm around her. “I’d rather not. You get away with the sick card but I’ll hear her nag. I’m tired, hon. Wait a little for your soup then go sleep. Get better soon.” He kissed her forehead and closed his eyes, falling into a deep sleep.

 

this is for youreagoodgirl

I had so much fun writing this :D