Who is Lilly Kim?

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sung-kyung couldn’t complain about her quarters, they were stylish - not as elaborate or beautiful as her room on oppa’s estate but nothing could really compare to life on Woo Estate. “You have an hour. Master Yixing is busy with his prayers. I’ll be back to collect you for breakfast.”

Sung-kyung sighed. Her body ached from sharing a bed with four people. They’d barely slept, fearing someone might check on them. Eventually, she must have drifted off but she was pretty certain Yifeng’s wife, Hana and Isa had not slept a wink.

She pressed her knee on the bed to test out the mattress, it was stiff - probably new? She would have had a quick nap but she didn’t have a phone now and knowing her, she’d definitely oversleep without an alarm. 

Crossing to the window, the perfect blue of the ocean only served to cement the knowledge that they were on an island and there was no escape. One year with Zhang Yixing! She was not afraid of him anymore - he’d lost his manhood and any appeal when he’d kept her captive for that week. She was used to being stuck with him. Yixing was a little bit of a recluse, he didn’t really like other people’s company because of his leg condition and also his awkward social skills. In other words, his personality was a big let down to his face. 

Sung-kyung checked the rest of the room, there were ample towels and linen, a blanket in case she was cold, clothes - all new and still in their packaging. In her size too! Creepy son of a . 

The bathroom had cool toiletries from famous Chinese brands that she’d used during varsity. For just one second - she wondered if he’d remembered or Hana? It was a little touching. But, house phone - no TV  - no tablet - Nothing. What the hell did people do on this island?!!!!

***

“RnR Darling!” Yifeng threw the term across the lunch table. They sat in a wide room, with a table in the centre. Above was another level, which you accessed via a narrow winding staircase. Anyone sitting on top and reading one of the books from the shelves lining the walls had a full view of the dining area below. Yimin came down the stairs to join the meal. He’d been reading a book - pretty sure he’d been hiding up there - until Yixing called him down to eat. 

Yifeng turned his attention to Baekhyun. Kris could see it happening before his eyes - Yifeng had a new project but Baekhyun seemed to be playing into it. Kris watched as September stepped forward to refill Yifeng’s glass. It was probably to draw attention away from September - but it was pointless. Yifeng hadn’t forgotten September, he was just working his way around. For Yifeng there was time for everything.

Time did not affect him the way it affected Kris. His company left unattended - his estate without him, a House Master or Sung-kyung, his best friend wondering where he was - Arran...was she coping? 

“After lunch, you must show Yimin a few tricks. He seems to be a big fan of yours.” Yifeng told Baekhyun. 

“Sure,” Baekhyun smiled warmly at the soft-looking boy. Zhang Yimin looked to be about 15 and very timid next to his older brother. Even Yixing, with his strong face and knowledgeable eyes that had seen the world, seemed to pale in comparison. He ate his food in silence. Listened to the conversation - or not? Baekhyun wasn’t sure. After he’d spent 10 days on the ship over here with Zhang Yixing he summed him up as a contemplative loner. He always seemed to be staring off into the distance - thinking - or not. Baekhyun wasn’t sure either. 

“Do you play?” 

“A little at school…”
“Is the term over?” Sung-kyung asked and earned a glare from both Tao and Kris. Urgh, they’d given her some big speech about not talking and drawing attention to herself. Was she supposed to not speak for a whole year? Impossible. 

“Yimin was quite ill this year. Doctors couldn’t really pinpoint it but we thought to let him finish off the rest of the year here.” Yixing spoke for the first time. 

“Will you return to school next year then?” Sung-kyung immediately asked. Kris pinched her under the table. She pushed his hand away. 

“I’d…” Yimin began and then quickly glanced at Yifeng. 

Poor kid, he was too afraid to speak. 

“He’s weaker than he looks.” Yifeng sounded put out, “He’s born of the same mother and father, but physically he’s not capable.” 

Yimin looked miserable at being exposed in front of strangers. He snuck a look at Baekhyun and Sung-kyung realised he took Baek as sort of role model. Someone he admired. How embarrassing for the kid. 

“Well, we’ll have some fun after this,” Baekhyun promised and flashed one of his winning smiles. Yimin brightened a little. 

“Where’s your wife?” Sung-kyung realised Davi wasn’t at the table. 

“She won’t be joining us for lunch. Maybe dinner.” silence. 

So awkward. Baekhyun thought and looked around for something to say, “That’s a fine piano.” he nodded toward the polished black instrument in the corner. 

“September,” Yifeng raised his hand and waved it in the air. 

September went over to the piano and loosened her fingers as she sat before the keys. 

“Sonata no 14 in c# minor,” Yifeng said after some consideration. 

“It’s a little heavy for lunch don’t you think?” Yixing commented. 

September took a moment and then started playing. It was flawless. Baekhyun, Kris and Sung-kyung stopped eating to listen to her performance. 

“Trained from the age of 6?” he asked no one in particular

“5,” Hana corrected from her position behind Yixing. 

When September finished, Yifeng clapped. “I’ve missed this. Good company, good food, the perfect entertainment.” 

Kris wanted to comment on how he listened to cheesy 80s music at night but refrained. 

Yifeng stood, “I'll be gone most of the day. Dinner as usual - even in my absence.”  September stood too. 

Everyone looked at one another  - where was he going with September? This was the first they’d heard of it. Baekhyun followed Yifeng and September out into the foyer. After a moment, Sung-kyung left.

Kris remained seated with Tao - pointless, but they’d learn the hard way. With Yifeng gone, they could finally finish their discussion about Lilly Kim. “Do you know where they’re going?” Kris asked Yixing. 

“I am not my brother’s keeper.” 

“That part is painfully obvious.” Kris retorted. 

Yixing looked shocked at the comeback, “We, should probably speak.” 

Kris threw down his napkin, “Oh look, I’m free now. Shall we?” 

They left the table with Hana. 

“Please eat something Yiminie…” his butler Mika begged. He had failed to eat his food - again. He was really losing so much weight. 

***

September helped Yifeng into his overcoat. “I’ll be back tonight,” he promised, treating them like children afraid their father wouldn’t return once they allowed him to leave. 

“Can I come with?” Baekhyun abandoned his pride. They were walking behind the house toward the embankment. Yifeng strolling, September at his shoulder. Baekhyun stepped in front of him. “Let me come,” he asked again. 

September went ahead with Sung-kyung.  

“Baekhyun ssi...you’re fun, infectious, and we’re going to be great friends. But, that happy virus thing doesn’t get you through every door on this island.” he placed heavy hands-on Baekhyun’s shoulders, “How to explain?” he looked up at the sky for a moment, “consider me an artist whose been searching for the perfect colour. I had it once but c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter