Face Your Past

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kris and Baekhyun were on the way to find Lee Taemin. Since they had decided to technically pull out of the Competition, they could put themselves to better use, rather than just sending up a flare. 

By now, Hana and September would have reached the house. Zhang Yifeng must be dead. Everyone that he terrorised for so long, was now free. Davi was free to live her life. He would take her away, with Yimin’s blessing, and he’d show her everything he’d achieved. A street kid! 

Thoughts of their future filled with Christmases and all the things they both enjoyed kept him warm. The rain had stopped, but the wind still howled about the island, sweeping up leaves and debris, pushing them up or down - whichever took its fancy and turning their wet clothes brittle. 

Something shiny glinted in the corner of his eye and for just one moment, he faltered. It could be the Quill. He considered checking what it was, but if he found the Quill - was it still what he desired after all this time? He looked ahead, Baekhyun was gone. 

“Baek…” he whispered into the darkness but there was no reply. Baekhyun was gone. He forgot the shiny object immediately and went to find his friend. They had a plan, and one moment of weakness could have ruined it. He’d done it again, he’d let his greed creep back in, but he hadn’t - he’d stopped. He’d thought about it sure, but he’d managed to pull back. He’d not let the shiny thing in the dark take over. 

“Baek?” Kris turned too late to see who it was that came right up behind him and with a push of a pressure point, he was out cold.  

Now, he came to in the darkness. He was bound to a chair. His feet rested on the ground, it was hard. As far as he could tell, he wasn’t injured. He wasn’t bleeding either - whoever knocked him out was a professional. Someone from the Federation?

A light flickered and a spotlight fell over his head, a small circle of light. Kris blinked. He couldn’t see further than the small circle. Footsteps echoed. It sounded like one person was approaching. Kris turned his head left, then right. The footsteps stopped. 

He stayed still and didn’t call out.  

What had happened? Was the person gone? Just as he thought he might be alone again, the footsteps sounded again. This time closer. Kris didn’t have time to react when Jimin came from behind and jabbed his neck with a needle. Jimin looked up into the camera.

In the Control Room, Jin nodded, “Send in Team 3…” Jin froze. He checked his schedule, Team 1 was used to guard the house and their Control Room, Team 2 was used to guard the entry points of the island. Team 3 was now being used to test Wu Yifan and Lee Arran so that…” he flipped through the schedule. 

“Judge? Can I send in the team?” the Competition Coordinator stopped, his 2-way radio already lifted to his mouth. 

Jin nodded, “Carry on.” 

“Judge, what about Zhang Yifeng? He has the Min child, should we pull him out? Team 4 is in the vicinity.” 

Jin shook his head, “The Golden Quill does not prohibit outside influence. There are no rules when it comes to how far competitors can be tested. We have no choice but to let it play out, even if someone dies from on outside hand.” 

“And them?” An analyst pulled up the footage of Hana and September very much alive. 

Jin picked up the Federation rule book, on second thought, “Let’s just see how everything plays out.”

“Yes, Judge.” 

***

Jimin felt for Kris’ pulse, it was still faint but growing stronger. He’d come round again soon. He waited till Team 3 was in position before moving off to find Lee Arran. The Control Room said she’d found the temple and was exploring the tombs located two levels above where Wu Yifan was being kept. 

Jimin walked along the na

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter