Asking Forgiveness

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai felt much better knowing that Sehun was on his side. Arran and Baekhyun supported him and even though they didn’t approve of Lilly, he was confident they would come to love her as much as he did. 

Now, it was time to face the other households of the Consortium. Kyungsoo, Chen and Kris were his friends, but they were also the future heirs of their estates. His father made it clear that Kai must ensure those friendships were maintained. He called for all three, now presidents of their respective companies to meet him at the Club.

The Club, a watering hole for the city’s rich and elite. You were only afforded membership if you were born into the right family. It was very rare for a new family to be granted membership to the Club and to do so they had to receive three nominations and for their family tree, business, and relations to be scrutinised by the board of the Club. Hence why it was rare.

Kai arrived first and was shown to a private room. He was nervous. Kyungsoo was the person he was closest to after Sehun, but his friend and confidant was severe when he felt betrayed. He took the Consortium seriously and Kai knew he’d see the engagement as Kai acting out. Chen tended to be more on the reserved side. He was calmer, the voice of reason but he’d probably be disappointed and that was worse. Kai wasn’t sure what Kris’ opinion would be. That was the thing about Kris, he was secretive.

“Ah the traitor is already here,” Kyungsoo announced. He handed his coat to the attendant and sat at the round table, inspecting the wine Kai chose.

“Can we refrain from name calling till after we’ve heard what he has to say?” Chen and Kris arrived right after Kyungsoo. Kris was quiet as he sat and accepted the wine served. Kai noticed he didn’t make eye contact, “Agreed.” Kris whispered and took a sip of wine.

“I’m starving,” Kyungsoo undid his cuffs and rolled back his sleeves. The food was served. They ate, mostly in silence. Kyungsoo stared at Kai awkwardly all through the meal. Chen hid his smile, finished first and lit a cigarette.

“When are you going to give this up?” Kris took the cigarette and stubbed it out with a little too much force, “It doesn’t look good on you at all.” He couldn’t stand his best friend smoking.

“I don’t know?” Chen watched the smoke disappear, “It helps.”

“With what?” Kyungsoo arched a bemused brow, “Aren’t you married to the most wonderful woman and have the cutest kid to boot?”

“You would say that; she is your sister after all.” Kris was brave.

Kyungsoo shrugged, “Won’t that soon be your situation as well?”

Now it was Kris’ turn to shrug, “I think Kai has beaten me to it.” And all three looked at him expectantly.

Nicely done he secretly applauded how they effortlessly worked up to the subject of his engagement.

“It is true. I am engaged to Lilly Kim.”

They were silent but Kai saw the twitch in Kyungsoo’s eye.

“But I didn’t plan for the media to find out before the Consortium. I wanted to tell you first, seek my parents and my grandparent’s approval.”

“Then what happened?” Chen wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

“It must have been someone on Lilly’s team but I’m not going to hold that against her…”

Kris, Kyungsoo and Chen looked at each other, “I don’t like her.”

“Same here,” Kris admitted with a sigh of relief. It was good to get that off his chest.

“We’re worried that Lilly won’t be the partner you need.”

“Maybe she’s the partner I want.” Kai retaliated.

“So it’s not up for discussion?” Kyungsoo asked

“It’s sort of too late for that. I visited the Chairman this morning with my parents. Omma and Appa will meet with Lilly soon. Once that happens, the House Master will make an official announcement.”

“That quick huh?” Kris frowned.

“Well then,” Kyungsoo stood and straightened his sleeves and redid the cuffs roughly, “Then there’s not much more for us to discuss is there?”

“Yah Jung Kyungsoo I’m sorry t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter