Manipulation Speculation

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Arran bent over the sketch in concentration. It was rough right now, but when complete the collection of sketches would illustrate the merits of rehabilitating Lee Corp’s building on West. A courtyard on the ground floor with a community garden at the back for children to play in. Picking up a red pencil she started to shade the oaks. The sketch in Autumn, warm like home, just like the oaks that lined the driveway leading up to the Woo Estate…the place she hoped to call home one day if Kris ever worked up the guts to propose…

Kai barged into his sister’s office and caused Arran’s hand to slip across the page, ruining the sketch and breaking the nib of the pencil in the process. She stared at the red line that marred two day’s work. Kai closed the door with another bang and crossed to one of the suede couches.

“Oppa,” Arran lowered her spectacles onto the desk trying to keep her irritation at bay, “Why are you so nervous? You have been distracted the whole day.” It was true. He’d made a nuisance of himself at breakfast. He’d spilt milk all over her new dress. He’d then insisted they ride into work together and made her late. Arran had seen him pacing the hallways of the executive floor and she’d hurried back to the design department in order to avoid him.

“Isn’t that a silly question?” Kai sat on the wheelie chair Arran used to slide across the room from drawing desk, to engineering plans, to miniature models of the projects in progress. He brought the chair up close to her, “Arran what do you think they’re doing?”

“Eating petit fours,” she droned and swivelled to face him.

Kai averted his eyes. His sister saw right through him, like his mother, “Arranah, if your fiancé was meeting your parents, wouldn’t you be nervous?”

“Unlike your fiancé, mine is already beloved by all,” she pressed the eraser end of her pencil against his forehead, “That is why you’re nervous. You know she’s faulty.”

Kai growled. Arran was pushing it.

“I met her you know, your Lilly.” This was the first time Kai heard of it, but it didn’t surprise him. His sister was a busybody and she made it her business to know everyone else’s.

“And?”

“I went to a runway show with Minah. Lilly was the showstopper…” or meant to be.

“And?” Kai was impatient for her verdict.

“I thought she’d be taller,” Arran shrugged.
Kai saw the ruined sketch.

“I could have introduced Lilly but the last time I brought a girl home you lot scared her away. Filled her head with doubts. Made her believe that to stand by me was an impossible job.”

Arran ignored his jibe about Lee Sung-kyung. “You are the Lee heir. The future leader of this Consortium and you botch your engagement. It’s tragic really.” She sighed, “Thank goodness Baek gave us a proper wedding…”

“I don’t need you to remind me any more of who I am and what I’m going to be” Kai scrunched up her drawing. 

Arran bowed her head, “Whether you like it or not. Who you marry is the business of the entire Consortium. I don’t like her and…”

“Yes, well it’s a good thing I will be marrying her and not you,”

Arran stilled at his tone. Kai wasn’t looking for her support really more her obedience.

The unbearable silence where they stared at one another, she wondered if he’d instigated the entire engagement and he, whether she was trustworthy was broken by her phone buzzing.

Kai’s eyes zeroed in on her phone. Their mother’s name appeared on the screen. Arran quickly lifted it.

“What does it say?”

“I’ll check it later,”

“Check it now,” Kai insisted, his voice was low and told her not to test him.

Arran unlocked the phone, “It’s over. Your Lilly just left the Song estate.” Arran met his gaze steadily, “Now what?  

Kai lifted his own phone and dialled Lilly. When she didn’t answer, he tried and tried again, until the call was purposefully cut, and he was sent to voicemail.

 “Something happened.” Kai guessed, “I knew it. it’s why I asked Sehun to be present…” he trailed off. Arran turned back to the desk and picked up her pencil.

“Unless you’re all in this together?” He whispered close to her ear, “Are you plotting?” 

Arran shook her head.

“Good. Keep that and your hopes for engagement in mind.”

Kai left, still trying to get hold of Lilly. Arran counted to ten before calling Sehun, “Oppa better be careful.”

 

***

Lilly saw all th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter