Cheating Test

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mirage Publishers was located in the trendy part of the city north of the tunnel and river. It’s where the up and coming businesses were relocating. Trying to put the right P.O. on their business cards. But unlike the others, Mirage was already there with a smirking I told you so. When Kim Sarang took over from her father as Chairman of the Board (some say forcibly. A vote of no confidence), she’d sold the old stuffy building, retired some of the old stuffy employees (in truth those still loyal to her father) and moved everyone to the modern, glass building with the open-plan layout and glass walls. Privacy was something of the past. Computer screens face outward so that no one could check Weibo without their neighbours and manager knowing.

It was her fear of the old and stuffy that drove Sarang to conduct an annual clean-up. Get rid of the old and make space for the new. It was around this time of the year that she and her executives personally reviewed the performance of management. Rumour had it that there was popcorn and champagne as Sarang and her cronies decided if a manager should be fired or not.

“Must you really do this clean-up now?” Minah asked her mother. Every year Sarang did this massive office clean up and all divisions and publications had to participate and also took place at home. It brought bad memories of her favourite toys being thrown out, which she later learnt had been donated. Much better than Princess Kiki, her favourite doll sitting in a dumpster somewhere.  

“Just because Kai is engaged does not mean my world needs to come to a stop.” Sarang replied.

“Omma! Kai saved oppa. How can you be so flippant about the engagement?”

Sarang placed both hands on her hips, “Darling, an engagement is hardly something to get your in a twist. Unless you’re still hung up over being the next Lee Chairlady?” she rolled her eyes.

“Omma!”

“This is why I prefer boys.” Sarang sounded serious. “Girls come with baggage and romantic notions about love.”

“Says the publisher of women’s magazines,” Minah replied tartly.

“I wanted all my children to be boys.” Sarang continued absentmindedly.

“Well boo hoo, you got two girls.”

“I sent your sister abroad. I can send you to work at the Shanghai branch if you’re not careful.”

Minah ignored the jibes and rifled through a pile of unsorted folders. “What’s this?” she held up a pink folder, “It’s called cheating?”

Sarang came over to inspect the folder, “Omo! This is even older than you. I held onto it for some reason. We once ran a cheating test for readers. I even made Gaelin and the other ladies of the Consortium try it out.”

“Why would Song Gaelin need to try this out?” Minah asked in disbelief, “Her marriage is perfect. Lee Soo-hyuk is perfect.” She gushed.

“Don’t you remember Hong Jong-hyun?”

“The Madame’s father? That was just a rumour though…” Minah shook her head, “Why would Song Gaelin even look at a small town man like that?”

“Looks are not always everything.” Sarang explained and then quickly, “Of course nothing ever happened between them.”

“I guess nothing is quite what it seems,” Minah whispered and thought of her own marriage. “Question 1 – describe your marriage in one w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter