Spilt Milk

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai was doing something silly, scrolling through old photos of their time in high school. They’d been unbreakable then. How had things turned out like this? Because of Lilly? It hurt that they abandoned him. Not everyone was as vocal or open about it as Sehun and Kyungsoo, but they had stopped calling him when he messaged Arran she took a day or two to reply and the responses were emotionless.

“What’s wrong?” Lilly asked.

He’d been so lost in thought, he hadn’t noticed her join him in the lounge.

He faked a smile, “How was your day?”

She sighed, “You’re unhappy and it's driving me crazy.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Kai locked his phone, “Let’s do something?”

Lilly looked sad, “You’re lying to me. I’m not an idiot. I know your family doesn’t accept me. I don’t say anything because I know it makes things hard for you. I’m trying my best here because I want to be a proper part of your family.”

Kai kissed her forehead, “What did I do to deserve you?”

“You must have been a saint in your past life,” she teased, “But…” she raised big eyes to his, “Maybe we should push up the wedding. It could bring us together?”

Kai hesitated; it was a little distasteful. Hyeran’s ceremony was only last week.

“I’m so afraid I’ll lose you too…” tears rolled down her face.

Kai hugged her, “Nothing is going to happen to me.”

“You don’t know that. I want to be your wife. I want us to start our lives together. I don’t care about the rules. I’ll sign anything your mother wants me to.” Kai laughed.

“Let’s get married.” He kissed her.

***

Sehun felt warm. Warm and fluffy? It was the same feeling he had lying in bed during winter even though it was freezing outside. Or when the sun crept into his room in the afternoon and warmed the bed. He didn’t want to wake up.

when he tried to stretch, he couldn’t move. He opened an eye, there was a heavy arm draped over his shoulder. A cascade of black hair fanned his pillow and a cheek pressed into his back.

“Isa…move…” he groaned.

September was still exhausted from the night before, but she reached for his phone on the bedside table. “Director. Wake up!”

“It’s still early,” Sehun mumbled.

“Morning! Or rather, good afternoon!” Baekhyun hollered.

September and Sehun sat bolt upright in bed.

Baekhyun sat cross-legged at the foot of the bed, munching on mandarins. “Did you sleep well?” he wiggled his brows at them, “It looks like you did.”

September fell back onto the pillow. Sehun covered her face with the duvet and got out of bed, leaving the bedroom and entering the dressing room. Baekhyun followed. “Listen I know you guys hardly get to sleep in and all but halmeoni is crabby and Arran is still not here. The guys from Lee Corp are working on my room.”

Sehun stretched and smiled.

Baekhyun stopped and grinned, “At least you’re not grumpy.”

“Huh?”

“You’re not pleasant when you wake up first thing.”

“I’ll see you, downstairs for breakfast.”
“You mean lunch.”

“Right.”

“Anyway, can we start on Hyeran’s case today? You promised we’d go to the film site.”

“That’s right. Kyungsoo hyung said he wanted to go with you.”

“Hyung said that?” Baekhyun sounded pleasantly surprised. It was not like Kyungsoo at all. 

“Yep.”

“So when will we go?”

“Uh, Isa when can me and Kyungsoo hyung go with Baek? I’ll need a day. Check with Suho as well…Isa…” No one answered, “Chicken.” Sehun shook his head realising she’d bolted from the room. “Tomorrow.” He promised his brother on the spot.

“You promise?”

“I just did, didn’t I?” Sehun inspected his wardrobe. “Suit? I’m obviously not going into the office today. But a suit.”

“Let’s go to the movies?” Baekhyun suggested.

“I have something to do this afternoon. We’ll go tonight.” Baekhyun left happy for now.

***

Sehun and September walked along the boardwalk toward Lee Taemin’s condo, “Ren sempai boarded a plane to the States an hour ago. We’ll have a report as soon as she’s been to the university,” September updated him on the situation with Taeyoon. It was when she'd just started working for the Song Estate. Sehun visited his cousin in the U.S. Something obviously happened there. Something Ren sempai knew about. His life before she entered the picture. 

“Good,” Sehun stopped and turned to face the water, “No backlash from Park Minjun?”

“Nothing yet. I’m sure Woo Investments will send someone by tomorrow to check why Minjun wasn't at work.”

“This cannot be traced back to us?” 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter