Welcome Guests

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The fraternity house rested on the embankment and seemed to turn its snooty nose on the regular high-rise student accommodations. This was where Arran and Minah partied that terrible night, five years ago.

Tonight, another party was in full swing. University students talking in loud animated voices, uninhibited girls danced on the lawn. Guys watched with beady eyes from the side-lines. So much could happen in one night. 

September turned her back on the scene. A concrete pathway led down to the parking lot. There were other residences flanking the square lot, lights on, music blaring from multiple windows, competing with each other. Smokers leaning out of windows. Too lazy to go outside.

According to Arran, it was past midnight when Minah decided to go home. Arran has walked her to the car and made sure Minah drove off.  During their university days, both girls mostly drove their own cars. Maybe if they’d had drivers, this incident could have been avoided. Avoided for Arran but a sick bastard was still out there no doubt preying on other women. He had to be stopped. September would stop him. Even if it was the last thing she did for this family. She’d looked at the footage of that night. Seen Arran wave Minah off, turn and walk west. September walked the same line, imagining Arran, all by herself, a little tipsy, happy and then…

This was where the cameras had failed Arran. They were being serviced that weekend. It so happened that the camera that could have identified Arran’s attacker was one of the offline cameras. September looked up at the camera clamped onto the streetlight. Its line of recording was the direction Arran walked and there was no footage.

September walked further, up the side path and into the grass, it was tall, damp, because of the recent heavy rains. She crouched and placed both hands on the wet ground. Arran had lain here, drugged, intoxicated and defenceless as a monster took advantage of her and no one had helped, the cameras were offline. Conveniently. 

***

Ding! the elevator doors slid open.

Sehun and Kai’s eyes clashed. Both looked away at the same time. “Welcome!” Soo-hyuk stepped forward to greet Lilly.

Lilly smiled at him shyly.

“She changed her hair,” Minah whispered to Gaelin. Gaelin suppressed a laugh and also stepped forward.

“You have a lovely home,” Lilly looked around.

“Thank you,” Gaelin turned back to her mother, “You remember Kai’s grandmother?”

“Of course. Hello Halmeoni. We had dinner the other night.” Lilly gently took her hands, “I wanted to visit again.”

Sehun and Gaelin exchanged a look.

“I’d like that,” Minah patted Lilly’s hand, “Come child, we have a wonderful evening planned for you.” Minah and Lilly headed outside with Rau, Soo-hyuk and Gaelin. The children remained behind. They could hear their grandmother compliment Lilly on her hair.

Sehun started to follow, “Wait,” Kai stopped him. Sehun turned around, “Thanks for coming tonight.”

Sehun really wanted to tell him that no one had a choice, but he nodded shortly and went outside. Arran rushed after him.

“Sehun will come around. He always does. Remember when he was in love with the Madame? We just had to knock some sense into him.”

“So I should punch his lights out?” Kai liked that idea, “Thanks Baek. I’m glad you’re here. It means a lot. You must speak to Lilly, get to know her. We should go out for dinner, just the three of us or if Hyeran is around then we can double date.”

“Sure!” It might not be such a bad idea for Kai to get married after all. His wife would welcome a newcomer to the family. Baek was disappointed that Arran didn’t warm up to Hyeran. He’d always imagined his twin and wife being best friends. But Arran was different these days. Baek couldn’t put his finger on it but sometimes it felt like she was faking it.

The elevator doors dinged again and Kyungsoo, Minah and Taeyoon walked in with their mother.

“Look who it is! Welcome home kid.” Kyungsoo greeted Baekhyun, nodded once in Kai’s general direction, took a glass of champagne from the waiter and walked to the terrace.

That one hurt Kai. Almost as much as Sehun’s rebuff hurt.

Taeyoon started to smile but froze when Taemin appeared. “I’ll see you guys out th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter