Rise

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At this time of night, there were no lights shining through any of its windows of the School.  Girls did not gossip in hushed tones under the covers about boys they liked or the dress they wanted to wear at the next dance. There was no banter in the kitchens, no sharing of wine after a long day’s work. The silence was heavy with foreboding. They should not go any further. The three of them didn’t have the ability but they were brave and together. That always counted for something. Every great quest always started with taking that first step, and then the other naturally followed. 

Davi grasped Sung-kyung’s hands, then turned to press a firm guiding hand on Yimin’s back. “Do not think about what goes on here.” It was more for her so she wouldn’t let her imagination run, because unlike these girls she had spent countless nights under the covers with Isa and Hana, talking about where they had come from, what they had done, and what had been done to them. They were for each other company and warmth. There were men before and in-between and men who would no doubt come after but whereas the mark of a man could be forgotten with time, women were constant. 

Yimin pointed with a gloved hand, “On those floors are the dormitories. The Teacher’s quarters are located on the bottom floor, to the far end, if I still remember…” he turned to them, “It is heavily guarded by butlers just like Hana and Isa, but hard women.  Women who could not be adopted...they will not hesitate to kill us.” 

“Where’s the difference?” Sung-kyung joked lamely, but no one could see the humour right now. 

“I have a plan.” Davi whispered, “I’m going to get the key and free that woman, Mae. Isa said the Teacher, wears the key around his neck at all times.”
“I don’t like it.” Yimin protested. 

“And you two will find those girls and free them.” Sung-kyung and Yimin shook their heads stubbornly, “Hey,” she pinched them as Yifan would in this situation, “I am older, wiser and I am still Madame Zhang, so do as I say.” 

“Yes, yes. Jeez. You picked up oppa’s bad habits.” Sung-kyung massaged her arm.  

“One last thing…” Davi stared up at the school, “We’re going to burn this monstrosity to the ground.” 

Davi watched until they disappeared around the side of the school then she steadied her nerves for what she must do - alone. This time there was no Hana or Isa to swoop in and save the day. She must conjure the free-spirited brave girl she used to be. Davi breathed in and walked up the front steps. The heels of her winter boots were soundless on the concrete steps as she loosened her hair and ran her hands through it, she discarded her jacket and rubbed the back of her hand roughly over her lips before she pounded on the front door. 

Nothing at first, but then a light. Davi banged again. 

*

Sung-kyung and Yimin slipped in through the kitchen and found the service stairs to the upper floors. Yimin rounded a corner and then pulled Sung-kyung back, sitting on a high backed chair at the end of the corridor was a butler. A sword resting against the wall. 

Yimin and Sung-kyung peeked around the wall, the butler’s eyes were closed - or at least it looked like that. 

“So that woman is just like Isa and Hana?” Sung-kyung confirmed. Yimin nodded. Sung-kyung closed her eyes. They needed a distraction. 

The banging reverberated through the entire school. The butler’s eyes snapped open and picking up the sword, abandoned her post and hurried down the stairs. “Well, that was easy.” They split the corridor, she took the left and he the right and they started to wake up the sleeping girls. Sung-kyung was sickened when she saw some as young as three or four. They were so tiny. 

“Don’t be afraid. I’m not going to hurt you. My name is Sung-kyung…Let’s leave together?” they nodded and a small girl, the tiniest of the group took her hand and stared up at her with hopeful, trusting eyes. Sung-kyung covered and turned her face away. She needed a moment. “Come with me.” she met Yimin in the corridor, “Take them back the way we came. I’ll get the bigger girls on the top floor.” 

*

“Oh my goodness, my dear…” the Teacher pushed through the circle of butlers that surrounded the scared young woman, “What is the matter? How are you here?” 

Davi spun to face the voice. 

The Teacher inhaled, those wild eyes, the bruised pink lips, the tear in her dress, the hair so dark and long, “You are freezing.” he took her hands. Davi collapsed against him and felt his hands circle her wrists, measuring her. Just like Isa and Hana said. 

“Teacher…” The Head Butler, Aya stepped forward, “We do not even know where this woman came from…”
“...I was on a boat…” Davi clutched onto the lapels of his shirt, “Help me…” she implored in a soft scared voice. 

“Quickly, bring her to my quarters…” he hurried down the passage ahead of them, looking back to make sure they followed. Davi was lifted into the arms by the Head Butler. She raised shocked eyes, but the eyes that stared back at her were hard and suspicious. Davi lowered her eyes to her chest and kept shivering. Such a strong woman, just like Isa and Hana, but lacking presen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter