Secret Heir

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai was shown in his grandfather’s study. It was a warm night but the fire was blazing. His grandfather sat in his favourite chair, stretching his hands out to warm them. His father was seated in the opposite chair. Kai bowed upon arrival and a third chair was placed to face the fire directly. Kai pulled on his collar. He had changed in a hurry and he regretted the poloneck and suit jacket. His father was tense. He didn’t smile. When their eyes met, Kai saw that he was angry. He hardly saw his father’s anger these days. That was usually reserved for Sehun. Something must have happened, and it had something to do with the Lee Estate.

“Kaiah,” his grandfather didn’t turn to face him, he continued to stare solemnly at the fire. Kai couldn’t read his expression, “I don’t know how to say it so I’m going to say it plainly. 38 years ago, I had an affair and the result was a child. I didn’t find out until 11 years ago when this child appeared asking me to acknowledge him as an heir. I refused. At the time I hoped the problem would go away, but this person into the family and now he is demanding that to participate in the Golden Quill Competition.”

Kai took a moment to process this latest development. Was he shocked that his grandfather cheated? No, it would be a shock to find out his father cheated. In some way, Kai was glad it was his grandfather and not his father. It felt further removed somehow.

His grandfather sighed. Waiting for Kai to say something.

“Is it your child?”

“Yes, it was verified.” A familiar, but completely unexpected voice said from behind his chair. Kai was on his feet and flung his arms around the other man, “House Master! What are you doing here?”

Kim Namjoon patted Kai on the back. He knew the kid was in shock. “It will be alright,” he whispered so only Kai could hear him. “Come on you need to get through this meeting.” Kai straightened and re-took his seat, but his initial shock was now replaced with relief. His old House Master was back. He already felt hopeful that a solution could be found. His mouth stretched uncontrollably into a smile, but he couldn’t stop it.

Namjoon handed Kai the test results. Kai wished the piece of paper with words and figures made sense to him. Sehun no doubt would have no problem deciphering this. “It’s a confirmation.” Namjoon held his hand out for the results. Kai happily handed it back to him. Namjoon brought up a chair and took a seat beside him. His closeness gave Kai the courage to speak.

“If…” Kai looked at Namjoon, who gave him an encouraging nod, “If this is your child Abeoji, then he is your brother appa?” his father muttered under his breath but offered a stiff nod of confirmation, “and my uncle? Then…hasn’t he lost his chance to compete?”

“He would have been too young at the time.” Namjoon explained, “According to the statement I took this morning, he was not aware of his lineage until he was 16.”

Kai did the maths and nodded, “So he wants to compete with us?”

Namjoon nodded. The room was silent. His father and Namjoon watched him. His grandfather shifted. He realised that they were waiting for him. They expected him to make the decision. The realisation panicked him at first but then he started to feel a sense of power spread. He Kai, would decide the circumstances of the next Golden Quill Competition. What he did now, would forever change the face of his family and the Consortium.

“Have you met him appa?”

Soo-hyuk exchanged a wary look with Namjoon and his father.

Namjoon shifted, “So have you Kaiah.”

Kai was confused. He racked his brain, “You said he into our family…” why couldn’t they just tell him? He’d never been good at riddles, “Then…” he frowned, racking his brains. Who had he come into contact, that was the right age? Damn it, it could be anyone. Anyone at the company, in their household…well, there was no way, the math didn’t add up.

***

Xiumin found no one on the ground floor so he freed the staff and told them to get out of the main house. They’d probably be safe at the staff accommodation. Chanyeol made it up to the third floor and immediately bumped into an intruder outside the door to Minah and Chen’s suite. He aimed the gun and it fired silently. The masked man was thrown back. Chanyeol charged at him, knocking him off his feet. He pulled a cable tyre out his pocket and secured the man’s hands behind his back. He huffed and was out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter