Gaelin's Plot

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Where is Sung-kyung?” Kris asked when he arrived home from the Song Estate.

“Yifan…she saw the letter. I couldn’t stop her,” Tao was distraught, “You know how that girl can be! So pushy. She snatched it from my hands.” He showed Kris his hand, “I think she scratched me.”

Kris swore, “Where is she now?”

“Where else?”

Kris headed for French doors leading out to the terrace and beyond, the stables. Sung-kyung spent hours grooming the horses. Helping the stable hands and jockeys prepare for their races. The Woo Estate had always been involved in horse racing and when he’d inherited the estate, the horses had come with the deal. At first, he contemplated selling them but then he’d also spent time at the stables and it was amazing how calming the big eyes of a horse could be.

It pleased him that Sung-kyung spent time at the stables. He’d been too busy recently. Owning horses! Who’d have thunk a street runt like him would end up owning thoroughbred racing horses. And they made him good money too. Kris spent at least one month of the year touring with the team and attending some of the bigger races.

“Morning President,” Minhyuk, his head stable hand greeted pleasantly, “It’s good to see you back here. Ajumma has missed you.”

“How has she been?” Kris asked referring to one of the older mares.

“This is her last season. We should decide what you want to do with her.”

“Arrange a meeting with Tao and we can discuss.” Kris had no intention of selling Ajumma so she could end up a farmer’s horse. Ajumma was a champion and he’d make sure she had a good life right to the end.

“Will do! If you’re looking for SK, she’s with Optimus in Ring 1.”

Of course, Sung-kyung would be drawn to the strongest in the herd. The black stallion. Strong and determined. Opinionated but disciplined. Their champion.

“Now ease him into a trot,” Siwon was Optimus’ jockey. A short thin guy with a passion for horses and racing that Kris appreciated. He’d learnt a lot about the sport from Siwon and Minhyuk. They hadn’t lied or tried to take advantage of his inexperience. They’d have sessions once a week and taught him to ride and in turn, he’d taught Sung-kyung.

“Morning Yifan ssi.” Siwon always called him by his real name, “Want some coffee?”

“I’d love a cup.” Siwon fetched his flask and poured the steaming black liquid into two steel cups.

“Have you seen Ajumma yet?”

Kris shook his head, “I’m here for an agassi today.”

“I’ll leave you to it then.” Siwon slid through the wooden poles and into the ring. Sung-kyung hopped expertly off Optimus, who noticing Kris, trotted over and nuzzled his nose against Kris’s face and neck. “Alright big boy?” Kris his nose. “How have you been?”

The horse snorted and flicked its mane.

“He likes you,” Sung-kyung noted.

“He knows where his bread is buttered.” Kris flicked his head and they walked together back into the stables. Ajumma sensing Kris started to neigh.

“Hold your horses,” Kris scolded and Sung-kyung rolled her eyes, “You smiled.” He pointed at her face, “At least I got you to smile.”

“Oppa was always too corny.” She pulled out the letter from her jacket. “I guess you want to talk about th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter