The Golden Quill

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Kai reached the top he expected to see an open field with the flag in the centre with the fly end whipping in the wind. He’d race toward it, grab it and everything would be over. The Judges would rule, they would decide what to do with Taemin and then they’d go home. They’d have a big party, everyone would laugh and drink and they’d take lots of pictures and dance and make jokes about all silly things they’d put one another through that year. 

After all the legalities had been sorted through, Kai would take them on a family trip. Maybe to the Finite resort on Jeju. Everyone would go, girlfriends, love interests, fiances, wives and they’d get to know each other again. Rebuild bridges. He’d need some help, but if he had their support, he could be a Leader to be proud of. He hadn’t always wanted it, he still had doubts, but he was born to it. 

Sehun appearing when he needed him the most had reminded him of the feeling of being worth saving, of counting for something in someone else's life, of people showing up for you. 

Kai cleared the hill and stopped dead. He looked up and up until his head couldn't move further. 

In his way, was a maze. 

The Federation’s emblem was a maze. It represented the confusion and chaos within a small confined space - a family - and how some could spend their whole lives trapped within that maze, round and round, but a Leader - the True Leader - would come out on the other side, shine a light to the sky and show the others the way out. It was the final test.

“Shall we start?” 

Taemin had come up from the left and there was an entrance in front of him, “Do you think the flag is in the centre or on the other side?” 

Kai didn’t reveal the symbolism behind the maze. 

“Do what you have to samchon. I guess, we’ll see which one of us is standing on the other side.”  they entered at the same time. 

***

Baekhyun and Chen bulldozed through the last three Federation Guards, not even hesitating when they saw the maze. Baekhyun slid into a bench position, Chen after him, “I’m here…” Kris and Chanyeol as the tallest rushed forward and took the position closest to the maze. Kyungsoo ran up and used their backs like steps as he landed on top of the outer wall of the maze. The hedge swayed but he managed to steady himself. “What do you see?” 

Kyungsoo scanned the maze as far as he could see there was just green but then he saw Kai and what must be Taemin. “I see Kai and Lee Taemin, they’re just ahead. But they not making progress, the maze has them trapped.” 

“And the flag?” Chanyeol called up to him, “Is it in the maze?” 

Kyungsoo strained his eyes, “Maybe...there’s some sort of opening in the centre.” 

“It won’t be there.” Baekhyun shook his head, “Trust me guys. I read that manual like inside out. It’s on the other side.” 

Chanyeol and Chen looked left and right, all they could see was the maze, the faster way would be to run along the perimeter.

“Hey, how big is this thing?” Kris asked him. 

“I can’t tell, I’m not tall enough…”
“Incoming,” Sehun yelled and they scattered as he skidded to a stop beside them. He crouched and Isa ran up and used his hands as a foothold, as her foot landed on his hands, he stood and her high into the air. They watched, some of them open-mouthed as she soared into the air, like a graceful bird. Kyungsoo looked up as Isa soared over his head. She landed on the opposite wall, “I could see the end.” she told Kyungsoo “but it’s too wide. ” 

“Then we go through.” 

“No.” Sehun entered the maze with the others. He looked up at Kyungsoo, “Isa will run the perimeter. She’s light enough for the hedge to support her.” 

“Gee thanks…” Kyungsoo feigned being hurt about his weight.

Sehun spared him a smile, “Chan Chan, wanna stretch your legs just in case?” he looked at Baek, “you still got some juice?” 

“Hmph. Who do you think I am?” Baekhyun replied airily. “Race you.” he sang as he bolted out the maze. 

“Yah!” Chanyeol rushed after him. Kyungsoo hopped down. That hurt his ankles. 

“Get going.” Sehun yelled up to September, “Hyung you’re with Isa. She’ll get you to the other side.” 

“Keep up.” September teased Kyungsoo as she sprang forward, running on the hedge as if it were solid.

“That…” Kris whistled as they watched her go. 

“That’s my wife.” Sehun stopped his hyung, “But you’re right.” he grinned, turning when he heard someone running at them, “Arran…wait...aish,” Arran threw her arms around his neck. He spun her around once and set her down, “I’m happy to see you too, but you're slacking. Get the hostiles”. Arran disappeared into the maze. 

“Hana ssi?” she nodded, not surprised that he knew her name, “I understand if you want to sit this one out, but we need you.” 

“Where is the Captain?’ Hana asked abruptly. 

Sehun blinked, “Baekhyun? He’s fine.” 

Hana flipped her sword, “Alright then...”  

“What about us?” Kris and Chen asked him. 

“I thought we could keep those guys busy,” Sehun looked passed them. Kris and Chen turned. There was an army of Federation Guards marching to get into the maze. 

“Seriously?” Kris handed Chen his extra sword, “How many of these guys are there!??” he moaned. 

“I’ll buy you a hot chocolate when we get home.” Chen patted his best friend’s back. 

“And chicken.” Kris sounded so hopeful. 

“I thought chicken wasn’t your style.” 

Hana rolled her eyes and leapt forward to meet the first attack, “As you were,” she mocked. 


*

“Left,” September yelled down to Kyungsoo. She leapt across the hedges, it was tough but she cleared the distance, making it look effortless. “Right.” 

“Isa…” 

“Right,” 

“Isani...hostile,” Kyungsoo yelled. He rammed into the first one, using his shoulder to shove the guard into the hedge. September leaned down and lifted the guard up and out of Kyungsoo’s path. 

“Stop wasting time.” Arran shoved past him and leapt against one maze wall and dove at the guard and raced ahead, taking on the next guard. “Go.”  

Isa carried on running. “Straight...straight.” she yelled, “I see the end.” she was excited, “Pali…” 

*

Taemin thought he heard someone screaming. He stopped and looked up, he saw September racing across the perimeter wall of the hedge. The just wouldn't die

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter