After All This Time

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gaelin tapped the letter of resignation thoughtfully against the desk. Song Minah pressed heavily down on the heavy gold-ball end of her walking stick and studied the pattern of the Persian as if it was something interesting that she’d never noticed before. Sehun was still but, anyone who knew him well enough saw that he sat straight and with a stiff back.

September stood, waiting. As soon as the President arrived that morning, she’d asked for a meeting and presented her resignation. Gaelin looked at Sehun, he gave the slightest nod. Gaelin sighed softly, “Accepted,”

September’s eyes widened. Just like that? So easily let go. After all this time, was it that simple? The Director probably briefed his mother and grandmother on the situation, which meant they all knew about her past. September felt exposed. The feeling made her want to hide from them. It was enough that Sehun and Arran knew, but not the President and Chairlady. She looked up to them, treasured them. Had yearned to be looked on with respect by them. The Director took that away from her. “I’m sorry for the short notice,” was all she managed.

Gaelin opened the desk drawer and dropped the letter inside, “We will manage.” The draw shut with a thud, “I’ll have the Estate lawyer draw up all the paperwork to officially close your contract with the Estate.”

There was a heavy silence after September left the room. Gaelin exchanged a quick look with her mother, “Darling…” she reached a hand across the desk toward her son.

“Omma! Don’t.” Sehun warned and standing quickly, buttoned his jacket, “It’s finally over and…” his chest heaved, “I’m glad for it.” His voice had unknowingly dropped to a whisper. He left the office, letting the door slam behind him.

Gaelin and Minah exchanged another look. “Well!”

Gaelin looked sadly out the window, "Sehunah..." her heart ached for her child. He was always more sensitive than the others. He felt everything so personally and felt betrayed when people disappointed him. 

Sana’s hands started to shake again. Quickly, she dropped them onto her lap and tried to breathe in and out. The time on her computer said it was 7 am. She’d been at work by 6 am, unable to stand being alone in her apartment, thinking about meeting her sister for what felt like the first time.

Mi-sun

Would Mi-sun like her? Would she think Sana a good unnie? Would she want to be part of her life? After all this time, maybe she was angry? 

“Sana ssi…Sana…”

Suho waved his hand in front of her face, she was completely lost in thought, “Yah Kim Sana! Do you want to meet your sister or not?”

Sana blinked, “Suho ssi…”

Suho smiled warmly, “You have waited long enough. Mi-sun ssi is ready now.” Sana stood too quickly and then swayed.

“Kwenchana?” Suho caught her by the arms, “Did you eat anything?” and grumbled when she shook her head, “Come on, there’s bound to be some bread on the executive floor.”

“I don’t want bread!” she took another deep breath, “Oppa…take me to my sister…please. I have waited long enough.”

Suho’s office adjoined Kyungsoos. Separated by a private lounge, that the House Master and President used for meetings. When Sana and Suho arrived, she was not surprised to find Kyungsoo with his older sister, Taeyoon but she was a little disappointed that he’d told someone else about something so personal, even if Taeyoon was a shrink.

Kyungsoo came up to her, “Nuna is here in case you or Mi-sun ssi have any questions or concerns. Okay?” she nodded and took his hands, squeezing them. He looked tired like he’d pulled an all-nighter, “Kwenchana?” she whispered but Taeyoon wasn’t paying attention to them. Chanyeol wasn’t answering her calls or responding to her texts. She just had to explain about yesterday. It was a difficult situation. He couldn’t hold it against her…he just had to forgive her.

“It was a long night, day…thing.” Kyungsoo pulled his hands away gently when Suho came back in with a teenage girl. Sana’s breath caught in , this was her sister. Their eyes were the same colour, their mouths did that thing where it curved up in the corners, Mi-sun was already taller than her and there was a determination in that steely gaze that Sana recognised. The same gaze she had when she was that age. Sana was a little unsure of how to approach the girl. What if Mi-sun didn’t like her?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter