Hidden Truth

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey!”

September pulled on her jacket. They were in the narrow entrance of Sana’s apartment and Sung-kyung blocked her path to the door.

September would have mentioned how presumptuous it was. They’d only known each other for a month but now they shared something. A past with Zhang Yixing. But there was too much going on right now for September to get into it with her. There would come a time when they’d need to clear the air. September wanted to understand how someone like Sung-kyung had crossed paths with Yixing. What type of impression had she left on him that he’d followed her to another country?

“Where are you going? You can’t leave!” Sung-kyung protested.

“Stay here.” September turned to the door.

“But…but how can you go without even saying anything? Don’t you care that Sana’s leaving tomorrow? You’re meant to be friends.” Sung-kyung didn’t know why she was so angry.

September swung back, grabbed her arm and yanked her into the small kitchen. “What’s wrong? Why are you having a breakdown?”

“I said all those things to Kyungsoo. I was the one who pushed him toward Haneul.” Sung-kyung said lamely, “Does that make me a bad friend?”

September refrained from rolling her eyes.

“I betrayed my friend because I wanted to be accepted by those people.” She ran hands through her hair and laughed shortly, “After all these years, I’m still a scared teenager trying to fit in with the popular crowd. I modelled myself into this sophisticated designer but it’s a lie.”

September rubbed her back and then gave it a firm thump. Sung-kyung coughed, “Snap out of it. You are not the same girl you were ten years ago. Jung Kyungsoo doesn’t listen to anyone but Jung Kyungsoo.” She softened, handed Sung-kyung some water, “Stay tonight. Have fun with your friend. No matter how many years go by, unnie still calls you her best friend. I will be back for you in the morning. That’s a promise.”

“Really?” Sung-kyung felt a little better.

“Really,” she tilted Sung-kyung’s chin up, the same way Gaelin had for her, “Never look down. You are the future Chairlady of the Lee Estate. Best start acting like it.”

Sung-kyung blushed. “Where are you going?”

But September was already out the door and racing down the stairs.

***

Taemin carried the bags with difficulty. It had started to rain when he got off the subway. The bags were the brown paper recyclable type and completely soaked through. The bottom was going to give way soon.

“Hey,”

Taemin jumped.

Lilly cackled and pointed, “Even evil masters get scared.”

“I couldn’t help it, your face is melting.”

“Ha, ha.” Lilly looked pointedly at the door.

“What are you doing here?”

“Are you going to let me in, or should we stand around and get caught?”

Taemin reluctantly let her in, “Coffee?”

“Wine.” She crossed to the window and watched the rain run down the windows, “Yifan asked me to make him hot chocolate. That punk he still…” she trailed off when Taemin pushed a glass of red wine into her hands, “Where is he?” her voice dropped to a whisper.

“I can’t tell even you that because I don’t know.”

He’s still alive. That meant he was still alive. She was too afraid to ask. “Things are so complicated now. Maybe we should rethink…”

“Just stick to the plan.”

“But Yifan…”
“ Wu Yifan. He shouldn’t have snooped around. Why is everyone so concerned about that outsider? He’s the bastard son of the Woo Estate. A street runt who got lucky cause his alcoholic mother got knocked up. He had the chance to be great. He could have taken care of Jongin ten years ago but he chickened out and now look at him. He’s a lapdog for the Consortium. No one even cares he’s missing!” Taemin stopped his rant and took a sip of his wine. “And you should never have got caught.”

“I don’t even know how! It’s all Lee Sung-kyung’s fault. That just had to come back. Weren’t you supposed to make sure she stayed in China with Zhang Yixing?”

“Look at it as an opportunity for revenge.”

“Don’t patronise me.”

“Tell Kai you want to speed things up.”

“Why would he? His precious brother’s wife just died, remember?”

“Use that. Tell him you don’t want to wait a moment longer. Life is so short…you know the drill.”

Lilly studied him. He was a beautiful man. He was also the scariest man she’d met, “Is there nothing you value?”

“Of course,” Lilly waited for him to open up, but he was silent as he stared out at the rain.

***

Baekhyun wandered up the stairs of the old tower. He felt like a character out of a fairy tale sneaking out after bedtime. “Hyung?”

Kris stood at the open window, staring up at the moon. He turned and smiled at Baekhyun. “This is a good spot. You will find some peace here.”

“No one wants me.” Baekhyun sunk to the floor. Leant against the wall. “Everyone doesn’t have the time for my grief.”

“Then do something with that grief. Find Hyeran’s killer.”

“Hyung tell me who it is?”

Kris dropped into a crouch before him, “This is something you must do.” He smiled.

Baekhyun smiled back before he closed his eyes and fell into a heavy sleep.

***

September slipped into her study on the Song Estate and switched on the desk lamp. It was late and the House was turned down for the night.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter