Hypnosis

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suri smiled at the woman seated in the waiting area. A smartly dressed woman, a mysterious woman who didn’t speak except to say good afternoon when she arrived and good evening when she left. Most days Suri left before the woman came out of Taeyoon’s office. Who was she? What could she possibly have to speak to Taeyoon about?

This practice dealt with criminals, psychopaths, scary people. This woman did not look scary. Suri loved watching her red nails flipping the pages of the magazine, pausing on a page, balancing the magazine on her crossed legs so she could take a sip of her coffee. A sweep of the thick dark curls off the face.

It was a mystery. Taeyoon kept all patient files under lock and key and did the typing herself. Suri respected her boss’s work ethic but just this once she was super intrigued.

“You can go in,”

The woman stood and with a slight bow of her head entered the office. Suri sighed as she packed up for the day. For now, the mystery woman would remain just that.

“Tae,”

“Professor,” Taeyoon moved forward with her hands out, “Thank you for fitting me in unnie,”

Noh Ji-woo squeezed Taeyoon’s hands, “Anything for my dongsaeng.” She nodded toward the chair and Taeyoon sat on the edge of the recliner, “Make yourself comfortable. Come on you know the drill.”

“It’s always strange to be on the other side,”

“For people like you and me, the ones who have to take in other people’s evil, this…” she opened her hands to the room, “is necessary for our sanity.” Taeyoon lay down and closed her eyes. “Breath in and out,”

Taeyoon tried to relax.

“You are here with me. This is a safe place.”

The room was quiet and warm. She did feel safe with her old professor. Fond memories of attending the class of her favourite lecturer. Maybe because they were both Koreans in a foreign place.  

“Now Taeyoon, we’re going to pick up where he left off in last week’s session. Nod if you’re ready.”

Taeyoon’s training went out the window. A cold sweat broke out.

“Nod if you’re ready,” Professor Noh's voice was soothing. Telling her this was a safe place. Taeyoon nodded quickly. “Good. Remember you’re in a safe place. I’m going to start counting backwards. As I count you’re going to go back in time. Back to the time when you were still married to Scott.”

A pause. Taeyoon’s heartbeat quickened in anticipation like sitting in a rollercoaster as it climbed, inching its way to the top and paused there, teetering on the edge and it was too late to get off.

“Ten,

Nine,

Eight,

Seven,

You’re going back. Back to New York.

Six,

Five,

Four,

Three,

You’re completely back now as Taeyoon four years ago…

Two

One – and now Taeyoon ssi how old are you?”

 

“I’m 27.”

“Can you describe what you’re doing?”

Taeyoon’s eyelids fluttered, “It’s summer in July. I’m out buying flowers, gladiolas, and some groceries. We’re having a party. Scott’s just been honoured for helping the police solve a case.”

“Good and are you excited for this party? Happy for your husband?”

Taeyoon hesitated, “I’m happy of course. Scott has always been so talented. Even during university.”

“But it’s you that helped him wasn’t it? What is the truth Taeyoon? Did Scott really decipher those letters or was it you?”

Taeyoon shook her head, her eyelids fluttering constantly, “He did. It was Scott. I just assisted.”

There was a pause, “Okay, let's carry on with your day. It’s summer in New York. The trees are green, and the sun is shining through them and onto the pavement.

 

 

“You’re out to buy flowers and pick up some groceries. Now what happens?”

“I’m in my favourite flower shop. It has a small coffee shop where you can wait for your arrangements while having coffee. The smell of coffee and flowers…” she trailed off

“It sounds wonderful. Now Taeyoon ssi you pay for the gladiolas and return to your apartment.”

“Yes, it’s around five. The grandf

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter