Rescue Her

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Dr…”

“Taeyoon ssi”

“Jung Taeyoon…” Suri shook her boss. Taeyoon snapped out of the daze, “It’s 6 pm. I’m heading home. There are no more patients for the day.”

Taeyoon waved her off with a disinterested flick of her hand. Suri hesitated before leaving. Maybe she should mention this to Suho. It was the third day in a row that Taeyoon stayed at the office. Suri had found her sleeping on the couch between patients. What was going on?

Taeyoon stared blankly out the glass wall and into the zen garden where patients were encouraged to take walks. It was wet from the rain that had started early that morning. Everything looked so green.

Her phone beeped. With trembling hands, she unlocked it and read the message.

“Don’t be sad. I am coming to get you soon.”

Taeyoon squeezed her eyes shut, these messages wouldn’t stop. Every day, every night…

Another beep,

“We belong together. I know who you really are.”

Taeyoon screamed, she clutched her head, rocking back and forth in the chair, “Please stop.”

Beep

“I forgive you for what you did.”

“Jung Taeyoon…”

Her head snapped around. Someone stood in the doorway, “Scott…”

“Scott? No, it’s Lee Taemin. House Master Taemin...”

Her heart still raced but she forced a laugh. It came out nervous and high pitched, “Oh it’s only you House Master.”

Taemin entered the office, “It looks like you could use a drink.”

Taeyoon smiled, genuinely this time, “And someone to talk to?”

“I could most definitely offer my services.”

***

The snazzy cocktail bar was crowded but they managed to find a table in a cosy corner with warm lighting.

“This place is perfect,” Taeyoon said while she scanned the long list of cocktails on offer. These days, you could spend more time deciding what to drink than actually drinking, “It’s rare for you to be off this early.”

“The Director is at Finite and the President is at home. As for President Song, Lee Arran and Sehun ssi” Taemin sighed.

“What’s with the sigh?”

“Are you trying to psychoanalyse me, Doctor?”  

“Hey, it’s your chance for a free session. I can tell somethings on your mind.”

“I sometimes doubt whether I’ll ever measure up to the likes of the old House Masters, especially Kim Namjoon. Hyung was able to keep the family together but as for me…” he shrugged, "under my watch, the family has split." 

“Hey,” she reached forward and placed a warm hand over his, “Don’t be so hard on yourself. You’ve only had this job for nine years. That’s short in the lifespan of a House Master.” Taemin smiled but she could tell he was still worried, “Why don’t you speak to the other House Masters? They might be able to offer some insight into what’s going in their estates. Namjoon ssi was great at his job because he had the trust of the other House Masters.”

“Taeyoon ssi is always right.” Their drinks arrived and they clinked glasses. Taemin knew which House Master he’d start with too, “When I arrived at your office you thought I was Scott – your husband Scott?”

“I was tired.” She tried to brush it off.

"Do you regret leaving the States?" 

Taeyoon grimaced. Sometimes she regretted confiding in the Lee House Master, but he always seemed to be there in her moments of weakness and over the years she’d confided some of what happened. Maybe she used him as a substitute for Kyungsoo. If only she could tell her brother everything, but she didn’t want any of her family and friends to know. 

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to upset you.” Taemin hesitated, then, “Are your therapy sessions with Professor Noh not helping?”

“They are but I’m starting to realise that I may have left Scott behind in the States but he hasn’t let go of me.”

“You’ve lost me.”

“Don’t you ever wish you could be free of your past but the more you try to bury it, the more you realise it walks with you.”

“Yes, I do,” Taemin whispered.

“Do you know why most House Masters are orphans?” Taeyoon asked and Taemin shrugged, “Because you’re expected to give your life in service to your estate and this Consortium.” They ordered another round, “Julian basically raised us. He had no family of his own and before he married Ren, we were like his children. Kyungsoo actually called Julian appa for the longest time.”

“I’m sure Taeyoon ssi has a good point.”

“The point, and please don’t take offence, but you are on the outside looking in on your own household. Soo-hyuk samchon is the heart of the Lee Estate but you are meant to be the guide.”

Taeyoon’s words stung. They reminded him of how detached he was from what happened in the Consortium. He was out of the loop. A glorified pencil pusher, while the other House Masters were handed top-secret tasks instrumental to the future of the Consortium. Lee Soo-hyu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter