Blood on his Hands

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Ten,

Nine,

Eight,

Seven,

You’re in New York.” Professor Noh counted softly. Watching as the frown lines on Taeyoon’s forehead relaxed.

“Six,

Five,

Four,

Three,

It’s two years ago…

Two

One – and now Taeyoon ssi how old are you?”

“29,” Taeyoon swallowed the lump in . It was lodged there, thick and making it uncomfortable to breathe.

“You’re 29 and you’ve just come home from work. Tell me what is happening.”

“It’s October. Freezing cold already. I’m home early after a client postponed. I want to put the heat on and curl up with a book…” Taeyoon frowned, “But I don’t know why the alarm is already disabled. I thought Scott was working late…”  

Noh Ji-woo waited. It was important she only prompt if the patient required it. It was hard to read in what direction Taeyoon's memory would venture. These sessions now provided more insight into the nightmare Taeyoon had lived in. “What are you doing now?”

“I’m hanging up my coat in the hall cupboard. There’s a noise upstairs. Someone’s in the bathroom. I think I can hear the water running.

“Taeyoon are you going upstairs to check?”

Taeyoon’s breathing became shallow. Ji-woo could tell she was scared. “I’m climbing the stairs. I want to be quiet. I don’t want Scott to hear me because…” she released a quick gush of air, “I want to see what he's doing.” There’s a pause. Taeyoon frowned again, “He’s in the bathroom. The water is still running…he’s…”

Ji-woo held her breath. If she made the wrong move it could break the connection.

“He’s bent over the tub. He’s washing something. Scrub, scrub. It’s the sound of sheets being washed. It’s all red. So much red. He’s scrubbing hard trying to get it all out. The water is splashing everywhere. He’s scrubbing so hard that he can’t hear me…he’s trying to hide the blood but I can see it. I can see him and he’s smiling…” Taeyoon chocked, her head turning frantically from side to side.

“And in three, two one,” Ji-woo grabbed Taeyoon’s shoulders, “Look at me.” Taeyoon blinked, “You’re safe.” Taeyoon burst into tears. Professor Noh held her close. Rubbed her back. “You’re safe.”

An hour later she took the elevator up to the rooftop bar in Finite. “Good evening Taeyoon ssi.” Suho bowed. “How was work?” 

Taeyoon smiled stiffly, “Where is the President?” Suho pointed Kyungsoo out. Her brother stood at the bar talking business with some snazzy looking men in too-tight suits. Taeyoon caught his eye and walked to the edge of the balcony. She was not in the mood for dinner or making conversation. What she needed was a shoulder to cry on. Maybe they could just have a quiet night.

Kyungsoo came over, “You’re late. I’m starv…” he trailed off when he noticed the strain on her face, “What is it now?”

Taeyoon bristled at his tone, “Oh I’m so sorry President. Shall I go put my face on?”

Even though she was older, it didn’t stop him from raising a disapproving brow, “Nuna,” he warned. Sometimes he had to be stern with both his sisters. They were impulsive, selfish with their emotions, often placing him in compromising situations, “We have dinner plans…”

“Araseo!” Taeyoon snapped and stalked away but came to a complete stop when she saw Chanyeol exit the elevator. “God,” she moaned and did a 180. She was not in the mood.

“Uh uh” Kyungsoo caught her by the shoulders and forcibly turned her around. By now Chanyeol had spotted them. “This bastard brought a stranger to dinner,” Kyungsoo muttered under his breath. It was only then that Taeyoon noticed the girl. Chanyeol was much taller making the girl look even tinier. She was very pretty. Taeyoon felt a sudden jolt of pain she hadn’t anticipated when Chanyeol guided the girl toward them. The tenderness of his hand on her shoulder almost made Taeyoon cry again. Her brother, the person she was closest to right now hadn’t comforted but treated her emotions as an inconvenience.

“This is Moon Soo-jin,” Chanyeol introduced the girl, “Soo-jin ssi is a dancer in the musical I’ve just produced.”

“I think I recognise you…” Kyungsoo bowed. Her brother supported all Chanyeol’s projects but Taeyoon doubted whether Kyungsoo could recognise any of the performers.

“Sorry we’re late,” Sehun and Arran arrived together. “This dinner couldn’t come sooner. Can we please  talk about K…” he trailed off when he noticed Moon Soo-jin, “how hungry I am.”

 “He was grumbling about it the whole way here.” Arran grabbed Sehun’s arm and pressed her face into his shoulder.

Kyungsoo’s mouth twitched, “Are you hangry? I hear other people are eating feasts right now?”

“Is Sehun making a Song and dance out of it?” Chanyeol piped in.

Sehun sat down and dropped his phone on the table with a thud, “Nuna, come sit by me.” He pulled out a chair with one hand, while beckoning a waiter with the other, “Have you pre-selected the wine?” Kyungs

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter