Kai's Favourite

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lilly loved the Song Estate with its sweeping lawns and the bougainvillaea creeping up the walls.

 

She loved the corners that one could hide in and the little tables and chairs set up in different parts of the garden. She imagined having coffee in the mornings in one spot and going over the menu for dinner with the chef at another spot.

As the wife of Lee Jongin, she’d be Chairlady of the Lee Estate and the Golden Quill, which meant she’d have a lot of entertaining to do. This house was perfect for that. There was no way she’d live in the same building as Song Gaelin! The umbilical cord needed to be cut sometime!

“I love this place,” she cooed as the car rounded the fountain and stopped outside the entrance, “And the Song staff are so cute with their uniform.”

Kai snickered, “Everyone calls the Song Estate the Stuck-Up Estate. Behind their backs anyway. Don’t tell Sehun or my mother.”

“Oh, you’re so cruel.” She couldn’t help but laugh, “I love how serious they take their jobs.”

September stepped forward and bowed low as the footman opened the car door, “Welcome to Song Estate Director and Miss Lilly.”

“See what I mean?” Kai whispered as the footman helped Lilly out the car. She stifled a giggle.

“Hi Isa” She greeted the Song assistant. She could never remember what the official title was. In her opinion, Isa was the best assistant and Lilly would also snatch her away. If she was to be Chairlady one day and Jongin Chairman, then they’d need the best working for them.

“Please follow me, the Chairlady is waiting.” They followed her into the foyer where Haida waited to take their coats. He patted Kai on the back.

“It is also good to see you, Young Master Kai.”

“You too Haida.” He turned to Lilly, “Haida has known me since I was in diapers. He's Tanaka's Uncle. Remember I told you about him?" 

"The one who opened the guesthouse in Japan?" She asked and Kai nodded. 

“Though Master Kai spent most of his time on the Lee Estate, we still love it when he visits.” Haida added. 

“We will change that. Won’t we darling?” Lilly looked deep into his eyes, “We should be fair and spend time with your grandmother too.”

September hid her surprise. It would be great if Lee Jongin spent more time with the Chairlady.

“Yes. We should visit Halmeoni.” It was not that Kai disliked this place. It was because of his mother and Sehun. From the time he was old enough to understand things, he’d been told that this was Sehun’s inheritance. He was the Lee heir and Sehun the Song heir. Sehun shared a bond with their mother and grandmother that Kai could only wonder at. Arran was also welcome here. But for him, he’d always felt like a visitor. A guest. Not like it was the home of his grandmother.

Now that they were older, he had to get Sehun’s approval if he wanted to visit. Sehun was angry with him over this dinner. He’d refused to take his calls and the others had gone ahead with their weekly dinner, when they could have postponed till tomorrow. They were sending him a message. This was not acceptable. His engagement was not acceptable. Well, he’d show them. He’d marry Lilly and win the Golden Quill and then they’d bloody hell have to listen to him!

“Oh! This is gorgeous!!!” Lilly gushed.

Kai’d been caught up in his thoughts that he didn’t notice September leading them outside. His grandmother stood up as they approached a beautifully laid table. Her smile was warm and welcoming. Not stern like in his childhood memories.

“Welcome darling Kai.” She held out both hands and he stepped forward and grasped them. “I am so happy you are here.”

Lilly stood beside September, “It means so much to him to be here.” she whispered, “It’s why I suggested this dinner.”

September stared at Lilly Kim, as if seeing her for the first time, “It means a lot to my Chairlady too.”

Lilly smiled slowly, “You seem to care for Jongin’s grandmother…perhaps she reminds you of someone?”

September was taken aback, “Not at all. I never knew my grandparents.”

“Oh?” Lilly suddenly took her hand and squeezed it firmly, “That .”

September smiled, “Yes it does.” She stared at their clasped hands, “I’m sorry.”

Lilly pulled back, “Silly me. You’ll get used to me.”

“I will?”

“I would like the two of us to be great friends.” Lilly stepped forward to greet Song Minah but September was left remembering her first meeting with Song Gaelin. “I think you and I are going to get on famously…”

 “Child!” Song Minah called out to her, “You may serve dinner.”

September nodded and gave the signal to the butler hovering between the house and the table. He, in turn, gave the signal to the butler standing out on the terrace, who turned and gave the signal to the butler in the hallway, and so it continued until the kitchen was informed and the plates carried out.

“When you told me you wanted to have dinner, I spent hours on the menu.” Song Minah admitted somewhat shyly.

September found it charming. She tried to give them privacy, watching from a distance but every smile on the Chairlady’s face, every laugh and how her eyes shone animatedly warmed h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter