Makeup

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“GUYS!” 

Sehun and Kai hurried into the study

“Why is this here. Look. Look here, it’s Emi’s death day.” 

Kai rounded the desk and stared at the calendar. Sehun remained close to the door. Baekhyun met his eyes. You were right.

Kai shrugged, “So what?” 

“So what?” Baekhyun echoed, “Dude, what would Lilly Kim have to do with Emi’s death day? Why would it even matter to her unless…” he looked from one brother to the next hoping someone would catch on so he wouldn’t have to come out and say it. “Who is Lilly Kim?” 

Kai turned to Sehun, “Was that letter even sincere? Now you’re involving Baek in your conspiracy theories?” Kai’s voice was filled with pain. Sehun had this tortured expression on his face that really cut Baekhyun. 

“No, it wasn’t Sehun. I asked if I could come. Can we not make this about who betrayed who? We have bigger things…”
“Bigger things? What could be bigger than my brothers accusing my fiance of what? What exactly are you even trying to say Baek?” Kai whipped round and fixed Baekhyun with a dark glare. “I mean...next you’re gonna say that Lilly Kim knew Emi or something?” 

Baekhyun inhaled sharply. 

Sehun looked up,

Kai stopped talking. 

A confused silence fell between them. 

“The letter was sincere.” Sehun told Kai, “I came here because we can’t continue like this. Whatever you decide, whoever you choose to be with, cannot change that you’re my brother. I got caught up with all the Consortium politics and I lost the plot. People are important not estates, not who’s going to be the next Chairlady of the Lee Estate. I had to learn this the hard way.” 

Kai sat on the edge of Lilly’s desk. There was more behind Sehun’s words. Deep anguish that hit him too and made him want to hug his brother and tell him everything would be alright. “What’s wrong?” 

Sehun shrugged. 

“Baek?” Kai tried but Baek just shook his head helplessly,  “What’s happened? I mean what else has happened?” 

Sehun shrugged again because if he spoke, he’d cry. 

“I can’t stand seeing you guys going through the most and I have no idea how to help or what to say. You say we’re still brothers but I don’t know why you look like you’re fighting so hard not to cry.” 

Sehun bit the insides of his cheeks, “Let’s get along, hyung.” 

“We’ll go…” Baekhyun wanted to get Sehun out. “I’m sorry I caused all this trouble but Kaiah, think about it. Please…” he quickly hugged Kai even though his brother was stiff in his arms, “come home on Sunday. We’re going to start Sunday lunches again. Bring Lilly.” He ran after Sehun and Kai could see Baekhyun clutching Sehun’s arm, talking to him quietly as they left. 

***

“Kai didn’t believe me,” Baekhyun complained to September. He sat on the floor of her dressing room, watching her brush her hair. “You’re still angry with hyung?” September didn’t reply, “You haven’t seen each other since yesterday. Aren’t you scared about the time you have left?” September continued to brush her hair, “I told you to stop being so full of it. I wish I had one more moment with Hyeran.” 

September set the brush on the dresser and sat in front of him on the soft carpet. “I’d watch her brush her hair too. It was comforting. I’d sor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter