Permission to Live Freely

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Zhang family were taken back to their private quarters, “You will be able to come back downstairs, once the Golden Quill Competition starts.” Jin assured the family. “Have Federation Guards posted at each entrance and resident door.” 

“Right away Judge.” when he was alone, he went into the kitchen. A Federation Chef handed showed him the dinner buffet, but he didn’t feel like eating. 

“It was a heavy one.” he muttered picking up a tempura prawn, “I hate this family.” he ate a second helping. 

“We’re ready.” Jimin knew where to find his fellow judge. 

***

Kai could see that September’s death hit everyone hard. “Alright, guys. I know it’s hard and September was a good House Master, but we need to focus now.” 

“Her name’s Isa.” Arran wiped her eyes. 

Sehun sighed,  “It’s my fault it’s like this. Hyung, Isa wasn’t just my House Master, she was my wife and the future Chairlady of the Song Estate.”
Taemin looked up, shocked. How had they kept something so big hidden? Kai hadn’t known, so Lilly didn’t know. Clever, Lee Sehun. You were willing to risk ostracising your brother for good because you didn’t trust Lilly or me.

“Wait...what?” Kai held up a hand, “You and September...Isa…” Arran glared at him. 

“Yep,” Sehun nodded. It was now officially about Kai and not the fact that he’d just lost his wife. 

“But...when?” he looked around to see who else was shocked. 

“I swear I didn’t know.” Taemin held up his hands, “Seems Sehunah placed us in the same box.” he was being y, but he was starting to realise that he’d been heavily played.  

Kai looked hurt, “Did you know?” 

“Isa told me,” Sung-kyung revealed, “Just before she left. It’s why I made the deal with Yixing sunbae.” 

“It’s why I had to get on that ship hyung.” Baekhyun tried to ease Kai’s feelings of hurt and betrayal.

Kai lifted a hand, “Aish,” he yelled and tilted his head to the ceiling and closed his eyes. 

Kyungsoo leant against a side unit and waited. He wanted to see how Kai reacted. Only if he was needed, would he step in but the brothers needed to work this out.

“I’m sorry I missed out on your life,” Kai told Sehun, “I’m sorry Isa is gone.” He pulled Sehun into a hug. 

Kyungsoo gave him a thumbs up, straightening when the door to his left opened and the Judges walked in with Federation Guards. 

Jin waited till everyone was seated again. He checked his schedule and then glanced at his watch. They were making good time, “Everyone has signed the waivers?” Jimin nodded. 

“The Golden Quill, since it’s inception is one of the few competitions that sets out to test the ability and very nature of its heirs. The Golden Quill can only be lifted by the worthy. It is a heavy burden, never easy, and not one to take lightly.” 

 

Jimin stepped forward, “You will be tested for

Valour, 

Loyalty,

Strategy,

Ability and,

Strength.

 

Your experiences, actions, your very nature will be exposed and tested. You must face your fear to stand tall on the other side.” Jimin looked at the sea of faces. Sad, fearful, weary but determined.

“You have decided to compete as individuals?” Jin looked up from his notes. Everyone nodded. “Alright. There is a flag in the centre of the island. Your goal is to get to that flag. However, whoever finds the Quill will be the next leader of the Consortium. And of course, it goes without saying, survive.” 

Jimin got the signal from

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter