The New VP

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chen thought it best to wait for the funeral to pass. He didn’t want to seem insensitive, but he was worried about Kris. His best friend may have a past he didn’t know everything about, but Kris wouldn’t just leave. He wouldn’t leave Chen in the middle of crisis. He wouldn’t switch off his phone. He wouldn’t be somewhere without access to media. He would have seen the news reports about a top Korean actress dying. He would have come home for the funeral.

Things were strained between them because of Minah but that still didn’t explain how Kris could leave without telling him. A letter was not enough to snuff out Chen’s suspicions on the whole matter. He couldn’t ignore the uneasy feeling he had.

So, when he heard from Kyungsoo that Baekhyun moved into the Song Estate, he thought it time they gave Kris’ absence well overdue attention. Each family in the Consortium owned shares in each other’s business and Chen and Kyungsoo’s father were board members for Woo Investments. He had every right to check up on matters.

***

Sehun stepped out the car and straightened his cuffs before buttoning his jacket. September handed him his spectacles. He immediately looked authoritative.

Sung-kyung, Chen and Kyungsoo, who arrived before Sehun, watched with amusement, “It’s like a fashion show.” Kyungsoo snickered.

“hyung arrived early.”

“Ani,” Kyungsoo shook his head, “I,” he pointed to his chest, “Arrived on time. You,” he pointed at Sehun, “Arrived late.”

“Mianhamnida,” Sehun bowed all round, even to Xiumin, “Ready?” they faced the imposing glass building of Woo Investments.

Xiumin approached the front desk. “We’re here for a meeting with the Vice President.”

The clerk looked up and smiled politely as she bowed, “Can I have the name and I’ll need identification for security clearance. Do you have an appointment with the Vice President?”

“The family names are Jung, Min and Song.” Xiumin replied. He slid the identification across the counter. A member of the security team scanned their cards, the screen beeped. He scanned the next card, the screen beeped again. He looked uneasily at the clerk. Beckoned her over. She smiled apologetically, not sure what the holdup was. Her face paled.
“Um…can you…uh…” she held up a hand unable to string together enough words for a coherent sentence, “She picked up the phone and spoke hurriedly into the receiver. Her face was red.

“We can’t take you anywhere,” Kyungsoo teased Sung-kyung.

“I can’t help it if I’m fabulous.” Sung-kyung didn’t even falter. Sehun smiled and turned to hear what the clerk told Xiumin.

“Executives normally use the private entrance on the basement level. But someone will be down to fetch you. I’m sorry for the delay.”

“It’s alright,” Xiumin calmed her as he took back the identification cards.

An executive, neat and dressed in a smart black suit with a Woo Investment’s name tag showed them to the executive floor. They were seated in a plush private waiting room. Offered refreshments, which they refused, and told the VP would be with them shortly.

“Presidents Min, Jung, Director Lee.” Park Minjun entered the room and bowed.

Sehun, Chen and Kyungsoo exchanged a look, “We’re waiting for Nam Jiwon.” Xiumin clarified. “Is the VP available?”

Minjun cleared his throat, “This is a little embarrassing.” He asked them to sit. They remained standing. He coughed, “Well, you see, before he left, the President suspended Jiwon ssi and appointed me as acting VP.”

“Sorry, who are you again?” Chen hadn’t seen this guy before. Or he didn’t recall.

Minjun blushed, “I’m Park Minjun. We actually me…”

“This the first time we’re hearing about this” Chen said calmly, “The board was not made aware of this change in executive administration.”

“With all due respect President…” Minjun really wished they would sit. These guys were still intimidating. Together they were like a pack of wolves on the hunt. They’d terrified him in school but now he had to remember he was a VP.

“We’ll sit after all.” Xiumin led the way to the round table. Sung-kyung, Sehun, Kyungsoo and Chen reluctantly took seats at the round table, “Park Minjun ssi?” Xiumin held his hand out for Minjun’s card.

“Ah of course,” Minjun distributed his new business cards to everyone at the table. Sehun inspected the card. He flipped it over and o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter