Finding Peace

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo had been on the move for about an hour when he realised two things - one he was not tired, two this island seemed vaguely familiar like he’d seen parts of it before. 

“Hey hyung.”  Sehun leaned idly against a tree studying the puny excuse for a torch. He guessed it was deliberate. To give them a false sense of security.

Kyungsoo looked away, it was hard seeing the younger guy trying so hard to act like he wasn’t torn in two. “How long have you been there?” 

“I just got here,” 

“Shouldn’t you be heading north?” Kyungsoo stalked up to him.

Sehun pointed left then right and shrugged, “Shall we?” 

Kyungsoo hesitated, “What game are you playing?” 

Sehun in his lips, “My wife just died. Do you really think I have time for games?” he pushed off from the tree but Kyungsoo’s arm jutted out and stopped him. Sehun stared down at him with a quizzical expression.
Kyungsoo cleared his throat, “I didn’t get a chance to say anything back there. It was so fast...I know everyone was distracted by Zhang Yifeng and his wife confessing to Kris...but...”

“I know. I’m hyung’s type. Give me a couple of years and maybe I’ll consider making you the next Chairlady.” 

“This punk.” Kyungsoo hugged him. 

Sehun smacked his affectionately, “Come on. We’re getting to that flag.” 

“We?” 

Chanyeol jumped down from the same tree, “Didn’t know you were such a romantic.” he held out an apple, “Hungry?” 

Kyungsoo snatched the apple. He actually was hungry, “I’m the biggest romantic.” he took a bite. 
“Yeah obsessive romantic.” Chanyeol teased and started stretching. 

“Are you getting ready for a marathon?” He looked at Sehun who was also stretching, he was worried now, “Just how far is this flag and what about the Quill?”

“It wasn’t on my trail,” Sehun confirmed and bent to check his shoelaces. 

“Not on mine either.”  Chanyeol added, “Our best bet is to get to the flag and cover our bases that way. Hopefully, we meet up with the others on the way.” 

Sehun and Chanyeol nodded and they set off. It was incredibly easy to follow Sehun. He was considerate and well trained. He used hand signals to let them know which direction he was heading in and didn’t make him leap or jump over any high branches or rocks. They’d been on the move for 10 minutes when Sehun held up a fist and they pulled to stop. 

“Is that a baby?” Chanyeol was incredulous as he listened but then he grew still, he held up a hand,  “I know that baby…” he didn’t wait as he ran toward the sound. 

“Yah!” Kyungsoo ran after him. 

Sehun looked back, they were losing time. This detour could cost them the ultimate prize. But, what would that make them if they could ignore a crying baby? He caught up with Kyungsoo and Chanyeol at a stone tunnel. “It’s old…” Kyungsoo touched the damp stone, “Water?” 

“There’s water everywhere on this ing island.” Chanyeol pouted. His whole body was wet. He wanted a bath and a warm bed. He froze when they heard the baby again and this time a man’s voice. 

“I know that voice.” Sehun’s hands clenched. 

Kyungsoo grabbed his shoulder, “It’s a trap. It has to be. That’s how this competition works. Appa said nothing is what it seems.” 

“I know that.” he turned to Chanyeol, “Carry on without me. I’ll catch up right after I kill that bastard.”
“Yah!” Chanyeol stood in front of the tunnel with his arms stretched out to block the entrance, “Hey!” he repeated angrily when Sehun still tried to pass using force, “That baby we all hear crying is Yeji. Believe me, I would know. I’m the one who babysits her.” they grew quiet, trying to catch their tempers, “Now, I know you’re sad and you have every right to kill the guy who caused your wife’s death. I’d do the same, so do that, but I’m going in there and getting Yeji. Screw the Quill.” 

“Same. Let Kai and Taemin fight over a piece of jewellery. Isn’t that what they’ve both been born for.” Kyungsoo was already inside the tunnel, “Now if you ladies are done, can we go save my niece?” 

Sehun and Chanyeol fist pumped and followed Kyungsoo. 

***

Kris’ vision was blurred as he came to. His mind was hazy, everything spun. He tried to focus. Where the hell was he? 

“Harabeoji…” 

Kris focused. He could make out something. 

“Harabeoji, I need you to do something for me.” 

Kris frowned, the scene seemed oddly familiar. 

“Harabeoji, for your family to come home you need to die.” 

He stopped struggling. He shook his head but the more he looked, the more he saw a younger version of himself sitting beside his grandfather, explaining why he had to die. “I didn’t mean to…” tears fell from his eyes, “It wasn’t me...it was a mistake…” he shook all over. He felt hot. 

Jin watched the scene from the Control Room, “How are his vitals? Is he having a reaction to the drug?”
“Well, that’s kinda the point.” the Competition Coordinator pulled up Wu Yifan’s file on another screen, “He has no known allergens.” 

“Monitor him. This could be a stress-induced reaction.” he pointed to a free screen, “Let me see his vitals here.” 

An analyst brought up Kris’ vitals, “It’s’ fine.” the Head Medic checked. “If it makes you feel better. I can head to the temple and be on standby?” 

Jin nodded, “But only on my command.” The Medic left with an . 

***
 

Arran stared through the water at her attacker. He had pushed her under and he didn’t falter, he would kill her if she didn’t stop him, but Arran wasn’t sure she wanted to live. Isa was gone and in her shock, because it was surely that, she had laughed and cheered on when that woman, Davi had claimed Kris. Now, she had no shield. She was exposed. 

Isa…

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter