Child Custody, Love Custody

Child Custody, Love Custody

Chapter 41

 

Yuri sighed as she got out of the car. One of the worst days of her life was over but there was one more on monday. Doyeon walked by her side after slamming the door shut. She heard him sighed lightly & turned to look at his dark face.


“Doyeon Oppa. You don’t have to come in.” She said, “Go home. You must be tired.”

 

He brushed her concern off, “I’m okay.” He unlocked the door & flung it open. Yuri walked in as a body ran towards her. She knelt down before he could only hug her legs. Spreading out her arms, her son ran into her embrace. She kissed his hair & smiled.


“Aw, sweetie. It had been such a long day. I miss you so much.”


“Hyunnie miss you too, mommy. You go so long. Hyunnie cried.” He said, with a little of pretended sniff.

 

“You silly boy.” She laughed. He grinned & kissed her cheek. She picked him up & placed him on her hips, “Were you good today?”

 

He bobbed his head up & down, “I was super, mommy.” He said, forgetting that he had already told her about his crying, “Hello, uncle Yonnie!” He exclaimed, with his hands closing & opening. He waved to him with a hand salute. Taehyun giggled, “Hyunnie go uncle Yonnie.” Yuri chuckled & let him down. He jumped into Doyeon’s arm & gave him a big kiss on the cheek.

 

Yuri shook her head & walked into the kitchen. Mina added another two plate onto the table. As she looked up, her eyes caught her sister. She pressed a smile on, “Hello.”


“Hey.” Yuri said. She walked over & fixed the already well-done napkins, “Hyunnie wasn’t bad today, was he?”

 

She slightly shook her head, “He’s been a great boy.” She paused, “How was the court thing?”

 

Yuri grimaced, “You can imagine it. It’s worse than I thought. He’s not giving up. Neither will I.”


“Oh.” Was all that Mina could say. She walked back to the open counter & took out two extra cups. As she turned back around, Yuri stood just three feet away from her.


“Mina. I know what you are thinking of & I forgive you. It’s alright.”

 

Mina pressed a smile to her pink lips, “Thank you, Yuri. I guess I hadn’t help the least.”

 

Yuri shook her head, “You had helped me with a lot of things. Don’t say that. You helped me through those years when Hyunnie was born & you are still helping me now.”


“I did tried my best.”


“& you did.” She took the two glass cups from Mina, “& I thank you for that. Now, go get Oppa & Hyunnie for dinner. It’s getting cold.”

 

Mina nodded & walked pass her sister. Yuri let out a breath & set the cups down on the table. There were too many feelings & emotions running through her. How she would love to wish & live in peace someday without the many conflicts going on around her. There were too many reason just to give up Taehyun to the man she hates. She was just waiting, waiting until she was back where she belongs but where was that place that she belongs? It just seems like her life would run forever into darkness .

 

As they settled into dinner & out of dinner, Yuri climbed the stairs with Taehyun on her hips. She entered her bedroom & placed him onto the ground, “Go brush your teeth, sweetheart, & then I will tuck you into bed.” He bobbed his head up & down. Taking his black converse one star canvas oxford shoes off, he ran into the bathroom. She grinned as the sound of running water was heard. Entering the bathroom, she watched carefully as he brushed his teeth & to make sure he wasn’t swallowing any of the toothpaste. She leaned against the bathroom door frame. The memories of this afternoon flashed into her head again. Just the thought of monday’s case weakened her knees but she knew she has the courage more than he thinks she does. Anything, she will do, just to make him lose the case of custody.

 

Yuri didn’t like the thought of losing to a man that has won almost everything from her. This time, she was willing to make herself win, “What is it, Hyunnie?” She asked, noticing that he had been looking at her the whole time instead of brushing his teeth.


“Mommy.” He said, through the foams of toothpaste which could had been his saliva “Whe do e o ome.”

 

She laughed & shook her head, “Finish brushing your teeth first & then you can ask me anything you want.” Taehyun grinned through the small white foams that could hardly count as toothpaste. He made a little stoke with his toothbrush on his teeth & spit out the saliva. After washing his toothbrush, Taehyun washed his own mouth. Yuri handed him a towel & he quickly dried his face. Popping his head out from behind the towel, he grinned at his mommy, “When do mommy & Hyunnie go home?”

 

Yuri stared into his sad eyes. She pout & took him into her arms. Half of her hope was blissful because he wanted to go back home as much as she does but half of her other hope was devastated. They couldn’t possibly go back home until someone wins the case. She sat him on the bed & kissed his forehead. He tilted his head as Yuri pulled back to look at him.


“Mommy & Hyunnie go home tomorrow?” He asked again.

 

She shook her head, “No. I’m sorry, sweetheart. Mommy has gotten a very important job here now. We can’t leave right now but I assure you that we will be leaving next week. We will.” Yuri said, emphasizing we. She cupped his cheeks into the palm of her hands, “Okay? I promise.”

 

Taehyun made his puppy face & shook his head, “But Hyunnie miss friends. Hyunnie miss…”


“Sweetheart.” Yuri interrupted him, “I know you do & I’m sorry. I really am but I promise you we will go home soon. You & me.” She poked him playfully on his tummy. He pouted more & covered his tummy up with his arms. She sighed, got up & popped onto the bed. Taking her precious son, Yuri placed him on her lap, “I thought you liked it here.”

 

He nodded his head, “Hyunnie love here, mommy, but Hyunnie miss home.”


“But granny is coming home from the hospital tomorrow morning. Don’t you want to see her everyday here then going to that smelly hospital?” He nodded once, “& don’t you want to play with uncle Yonnie & gramps everyday?” He nodded twice, “& don’t you want to go on another one last tour of this beautiful city?”

 

Taehyun nodded & angled his head up to look at his mommy, “& if we go home, Jae won’t see us again, would he? He would miss us & we would miss him too, won’t we, mommy?”

 

Yuri tried to smile but she failed. On her face came a whiter color. She blinked gradually. No matter how much she tries, she knows her son can never forget that man. Every subject now & then that she & her son were on, his name just has to pop out from nowhere. She doesn’t like the thought of everyday hearing the name of the man that had once broken her heart but now, she knows she has too, for the sake of her son.


“Mommy.” He said impatiently, shaking her arm.

 

She woke up from her thoughts. Looking down at her little son, Yuri blinked, “Yes, sweetie, we will miss him.” “Very much, mommy.”


“We will miss him very much.” She followed his command.

 

Taehyun grinned at his success. He’s a little boy & knows nothing about hurting her just because of the name, “So, we don’t want to go home & leave Jae alone with no one. We stay here, mommy. Hyunnie will want friends…”


“We are going home, Hyunnie, & by ourselves.” Yuri replied harshly, but more in a calm voice. Jaejoong won’t be lonely; he has his wife-to-be with him.

 

As the morning sun settled in the east, the afternoon came & went, the time for another case came. Taehyun’s mouth turned into an o as he gaze up at the courthouse. Yuri grimaced at his amazement. The courthouse was more than a nightmare with children waking up in the early morning to go to school. As much as she hated to come here without helping her mother back home, she couldn’t back out. Her life right now depends only on the choice of Taehyun.

 

She took another look at her son & smiled but more like wanting to cry. She was sure he will choose her but not sure enough that he will pick his father, too. Jaejoong has the decency to make her son choose him over her. He had been through court cases like these but he hadn’t been fully through with her yet. If only her lawyer can make Taehyun smile then there would be no problem.

 

Taehyun pulled her arm, “Hyunnie go inside, mommy. Come on.”


“Don’t be in a rush, Hyunnie.” She kneeled down within his height, “Promise me you won’t go playing or running inside. A courthouse isn’t where children can play. Alright?”

 

“You told me that last night many times, mommy.”


“& I’m telling you again.”


“But why?” He asked, & placed his hands on his little hips.

 

Yuri sighed, “Listen, Hyunnie.” She cleared , “You had been asking about your daddy for a long time now.” She cleared again. This wasn’t going to be easy for her but to cause less trouble inside of that courtroom; she will have to explain about Jaejoong being his father, “I’m sorry I had lied to you about your daddy alright? But inside of that courtroom, you will meet him. He’s…”


“Mommy. There’s Jae.” Taehyun ran away from her grip before she could stop him. She turned around & at the same time, getting up from her knee position. The first thing she saw was a son running into the arms of a father. Her heart leaped as Jaejoong’s smile brightened as he spinned Taehyun in a circle. Taehyun circled his arms around Jaejoong’s neck after the great dizzy spin. Laughters were heard from here to there. Yuri made an advance towards them. Jaejoong gazed up from his son when he saw her shadow. His wonderful smile disappeared as fast as lightning with thunder.


“Hello Yuri. Nice to see that you brought your son along.” Jaejoong said, emphasizing the word your.

 

She gave him a look of iciness. He shuddered within. She reached out for her son, “Come on, Hyunnie, or we will be late.”

 

He grinned & climbed back into the arms of his mommy. His heart was calm just because of meeting Jaejoong, “Are you going with mommy & me?”

 

Jaejoong nodded, “Yes, I am. I wouldn’t want to miss a thing.”

 

Taehyun’s grin widened. Yuri took one last look at Jaejoong & walked away. As she reached the steps to the courthouse, a hand grabbed her shoulder. She turned around, thinking that it was Jaejoong but unfortunately, it was her brother.


“I’m sorry it took me so long. Couldn’t seem to find a parking space.” She shrugged, “You want me to take Hyunnie for a while?”

 

Yuri shook her head, “I’m okay.” To tell the truth, she wanted to hold him before the case begins. Her hope was high about winning but it wasn’t high enough for she kept thinking about losing her only precious thing to the man she hates. The last kiss on her son’s forehead wouldn’t be enough for her to live on forever if she loses him. For she couldn’t bare him living in a stranger’s house with a stepmother, she couldn’t give up either.

 

They reached the courtroom & without more than a second, Yuri hugged Taehyun tightly. She placed several kisses on his face & then pulled back to look at him, “Mommy loves you, Hyunnie.”

 

He grinned without a sense of what was going on, “Hyunnie loves mommy, too.”

 

Yuri kissed his forehead once again, “I will just be up there alright? Don’t worry & remember what I told you. Don’t talk or shout okay?”

 

He bobbed his head up & down. Yuri assured him with a smile but more to herself. She turned Taehyun over to Doyeon & walked away. Her red lips turned into a thin smile as she approached her lawyer, “You have a lovely son there.”


“I know.” Her voice came in a whisper. She sat down beside her lawyer & couldn’t help it but see Jaejoong sitting down at the corner of her eye. The bailiff did his job & the congregation did theirs as the judge walked in.


“The court will proceed from the following friday of last week. Mr. Kim Jaejoong & Ms. Kwon Yuri face off with each other. Mr. Kim Junsu, the lawyer of Mr. Kim Jaejoong & Mr. Ok Namkyu, the lawyer of Ms. Kwon Yuri, would be representing the laws of this courtroom for today. The subject is for the custody of Kwon Taehyun. The child would go to the one who is best fit from the choices of the jury.” He banged the mallet, “Mr. Kim. You will proceed from what we had from friday.”

 

“Thank you, your honor.” Junsu got up from his seat & walked into the middle of the room. He glanced at the paper he was holding & looked up at the judge, “Your honor, may I call Kwon Taehyun up to the stand.” Whispers & heads were turned to stare at the wee boy. Taehyun’s eyes widened while sitting on his uncle’s lap, “I don’t like that name, uncle Yonnie.” He said, with a pout while staring back at the people who was staring at him.


“I know you don’t.” Doyeon said, & got up along with Taehyun. He walked down the aisle with Taehyun by his side, “Be a good boy now alright? Do whatever they tell you.”

 

Taehyun stared up at his uncle dumbfounded. The bailiff opened the swinging door & took hold of Taehyun’s wee hand, “Come on, little guy. You are up.” He took Taehyun to the stand & took out his bible.


“No need to do that, bailiff.” The judge called out.

 

The bailiff nodded & placed Taehyun on the seat. He chuckled when the head of the little boy couldn’t even reach the top of the stand to see, “Your honor?” He asked, with a rose brow.

 

The judge rolled his eyes & took five huge books from underneath his own stand. As Taehyun popped onto the hard books with his bottom, he groaned & then laughed, “Hard, mommy!” He cried out, with laughters.

 

The congregation chuckled. Yuri let out a breath, glad that the bailiff & judge was patient with Taehyun. She gave him a nod of assurance & pushed a blithe smile to her lips. Her smile hardened as Taehyun waved to Jaejoong.


“Taehyun.” Junsu said, “Do you…?”


“I don’t like that name, mister.” He interrupted, “Hyunnie.” He then said proudly.

 

Junsu smiled & nodded, “Hyunnie it is then & call me Su.” Taehyun bobbed his head up & down, “So, Hyunnie, let’s get acquainted, shall we?” Taehyun nodded again, “I know that you are three years old & turning four next year. Does your mommy ever celebrate your birthday?”


“Yeah. Mommy bakes a chocolate cake just for me. We get sloppy.” He giggled, “But Hyunnie help mommy clean up, too.”


“Really now. How much does your mommy says that she loves you?”


“Everyday.” Taehyun replied.


“& how much do you love her?”


“This much!” He exclaimed, & threw his wee arms out wide.

 

Junsu nodded, “What about your daddy? Does your mommy ever tell you about him?”

 

“Yeah. Mommy say he watch over us & he love us. Mommy say I look like my daddy.”

 

Junsu rose his brows along with the others in the room. Jaejoong grimaced & crossed his arms. The woman really does want him to die. She has gone overboard already of not telling him of Taehyun but before he was even dead, she has to tell their son that he died already.

 

Yuri sighed. Lord, she should have told Taehyun yesterday but she just had to wait until it was too late. Now, the jury & judge would think of her as a bad mother.


“Really?” Junsu asked. Taehyun nodded with a yes, “Would you believe me if I say that your daddy is right here in this room right now?”

 

Taehyun placed his index finger underneath his chin & tilted his head. He needed to think, hard as the book under his rear. Everyone seemed to hold his or her breaths. Jaejoong looked at his son, wanting him to say yes, all the while, knowing that Yuri had never told their son about him. Yuri gazed at her son, wanting him to not say anything. Just as everything stopped, Taehyun shrugged his shoulders.


“I don’t know.” He replied cutely.

 

Exhales were heard from side to side. Junsu looked down at his paper. He turned around to gaze at Yuri then at Junsu. Making choices were hard for them but right now, at that second, it was harder for him. He tapped his pen against his jaw & sighed.


“Hyunnie.”


“What?” Taehyun asked, waiting impatiently.


“If you don’t know if your daddy is in here, would you believe me if I tell you that Jaejoong is your daddy?” Again, like last time, breaths were held. The jury stopped writing whatever they were writing. The judge pulled on his already baldheaded. The free people bite their upper or bottom lips. Yuri closed her eyes, not wanting to hear anything. Her son will find out & she didn’t want him to be mad at her for keeping such a wonderful person away from him. Jaejoong folded his hands together. Taehyun averted to look at his new-be-told daddy. His widened eyes blinked. Jaejoong pressed the best smile he could to his lips.


“He is?” Taehyun finally said, but it was more of a question.


Junsu nodded, “Yes, he is.”