Chapter 54

Dragon of the East
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a hard time for me, getting used to being alone. I still caught myself staring at the bookstore across the street, which now had a "hiring" sign.

I only had Hiu-tuk, who gladly accepted me every time I wanted to talk, and Gülizar too, even though she never actually knew him. She had only met him once or twice. I had a total of one friend that wasn't family in Turkey and we weren't that close. So I went back to Korea. I had to go, anyway, for Junghwa-oppa's funeral. I again remembered him at his mother's and wondered if I would behave the same way. And what about Ae Sook and Cho Hee? And Mr. Park?

I went back to Korea and thank goodness, my friends were the most supportive people in the world. The second I called them, they were ready for me. They got together almost instantly.

"How are you?" Jaeminhi asked.

"Girls, maybe she doesn't want to talk about it." Hooyoung said.

"Unnie, I'm sorry for your loss." Chaehin consoled.

"We all are." Kelly backed her.

"Thank you girls, so much. I'm sorry for calling on you so short notice." I said. I had gotten over the initial shock, but I still felt something tugging at my tear ducts whenever I heard his name.

"What are you talking about? It's our duty, as your friends, to get you over and passed this hardship!" Chaehin said softly.

I smiled at them. They took me to Starbucks and treated me to a mocha latte, which only reminded me of Jiyong-ssi, which only made me sadder. I was an emotional wreck.

The girls understood that between my boyfriend's death and my ex-boyfriend's enlistment and my own jetlag, I was tired beyond compare. Jaeminhi dropped me off to my father's home.

My father's arms were as wide and welcoming as ever. Despite his own pain, he helped me through mine. I knew he loved Junghwa-oppa like a son and was just as sad as Mr. Park to see him go.

Ae Sook and Cho Hee were a whole other story. I saw them at the funeral, and Ae Sook used my lap as a pillow as she drained her eyes out. I her hair. Cho Hee was staring at me like it was my fault, so intensely that I began to feel guilty for no reason.

I pulled out something that had been burning holes in my purse ever since I found it in our house in Turkey. It was a letter from Junghwa-oppa to his family. There was also one for me, but I couldn't read it without crying and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter