Chapter 100

Dragon of the East
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That night, Jiyong-ssi stayed with me the entire night. He sang me a lullaby to put me calmly to sleep.

Maybe I heard his voice as I dreamt. I tripped a lot less. Or maybe I'd repeated this dream so many times that I knew where to step. I ran as fast as I could, cutting through the misty fog like a blade. The pictures tugged at my curiosity but I reminded myself that if I made it safely to the cave I could almost see already, I'd have plenty of time to look at the pictures.

And this time I really made it to the cave. I took a step in and I don't even think the thing chasing me noticed. It just... Left. It kinda disappeared. It was weird. But it took the fog with it and now the sun actually shone through the leaves and branches.

I could see the pictures clearly and as I got closer, they started to move. When I reached the one closest to me, it was the first picture in the photo album. It was just me and my brother Hiutuk. Suddenly, I knew things about him I didn't before from the sports he played in middle school to his favorite flavor of sushi. I was remembering.

I walked over to the next tree, it was a family picture. Now I knew more about my other brothers and my parents. I also gained some insight as to why my mother never came to visit me in the hospital once this entire time. She simply didn't care.

The pictures went in chronological order, but I knew that already. I finally made it to the last picture. It was a picture of me and Jiyong-ssi. No, I called him Ji, didn't I? In the photograph, I was dressed in black leggings and an oversized tee. He was dressed casually. We were sitting on a park bench eating ice cream. It was taken by a fan who had seen us from afar.

The thing chasing me came back. But I wasn't running anymore. I had gotten what I needed. It was time to give it what it needed. Comfort. That's what it's been asking of me this entire time, but I didn't know enough to give it a simple hug. 

Waking up followed routine

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter