Chapter 24

Dragon of the East
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The officer looked at me sternly. "Do you understand?" he asked.

I nodded meekly, still in shock. Yes, he had a point. It made sense, but it still hurt. Surely they can't just do that, right? There's gotta be something, like a loop hole?

No. No loop hole. It was plain and simple: they were taking Jess away from me. They didn't feel I was responsible enough for her. I couldn't take care of her. It was true, I couldn't. A tear rolled down my cheek. It was surprising that I still had any left inside of me.

I wasn't given the chance to say goodbye, Jess's ride to the airport was early and the officer wasn't done talking to me. I was frustrated. I couldn't even tell her I loved her one last time?! Were they afraid that I would take her and run? How far could I get?!

So Jess left and then the cops left and it was just me and Kelly. She was crying too. Maybe she'd miss Jess as much as I would. And I found it oddly hilarious how she was trying to comfort me through her own tears.

"You'll see her again! Maybe she'll visit again. Or maybe you'll visit her!" she was saying. She was interrupted by a phone call. "Yeobohsayo? Yes, I'm with her right now. Right now? Uh, we're kind of far. Like, half an hour? I'll explain later. Alright. I'll see you." she hung up.

"Who was it?" I asked.

"Manager. He wants to speak to you, and it seems you left your cell at the hotel."

So we took a taxi, and got to the studio exactly half an hour later. We climbed some stairs and I realized I looked like a wreck. We stopped at a bathroom and I washed my face. My makeup was completely erased and I was barefaced.

We got to the manager's office and he told me to come in. Kelly waited outside of the room for me.

I sat down. I tried to look attentive, but I didn't have to try for long. He got me.

"Kyoyeon-ssi's coming back tomorrow." he said. "She called us today, a couple of hours ago, saying the reason of her emergency leave was finished and she could came back to work. And you know what that means, don't you?"

I nodded. It meant I was useless to them. In fact, I probably dragged them down. He told me to compensate for the sudden change, they'd pay for my airline ticket. Also, of course, they had to pay for the time I worked. I made enough to pay off my arm, and then some. I was all set.

"So, you're going back to Korea?" he asked for confirmation.

I thought for a second then shook my head. "Turkey. Istanbul, Turkey." 

"Turkey? What for? Not to pry or anything, but..." the manager asked.

"My brother lives there. I really don't feel like going home right now." I said.

He nodded. Dismissed, I left and Kelly met me at the door. She'd heard what we talked about.

"You're leaving too?! First Jess and now you? Why is this happening?" she was saying.

"It's okay. It wasn't a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter