Chapter 17

Dragon of the East
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul, South Korea to Osaka, Japan by plane shouldn't take long, but it felt that way to me. Maybe it was because I fell asleep and momentarily lost my internal clock, or maybe because I wasn't used to being asleep while the sun was up. That might've been it. But when I woke up, even though it was only a couple hours ago, I remembered what happened like it was yesterday. Only the highlights.

I lifted my head and looked at Jiyong-ssi. He was asleep soundly, and he looked so peaceful. He reminded me of a cute little kid. I lifted myself up and my stirring woke him up.

"Hmm? You're awake?" he mumbled and threw his arm over his eyes. "What time is it?"

I checked my watch. "8:19 AM" I said. He groaned.

"Are we there yet?" he asked. I checked the overhead TV which showed us where we were and the distance travelled.

"Almost." I replied. I turned to look at Jessica, who was still sleeping. I was about to go wake her up, but Jiyong-ssi caught my arm.

"Don't. Let her sleep. She'll want to be awake later." he smirked. So with Jessica sleeping we had the area to ourselves. At least for 20 minutes more, until we landed.

He asked me to talk more about my family, now that he's met my dad. It's a subject I don't really open up to anyone, so naturally I tried to blow it off. I could tell by his facial expression though, even if he tried to hide it, he felt hurt. So I gave in.

"When I was eleven, my mom felt like my dad wasn't good enough for her. My dad made an average amount, but my mom's the type that needs the best of the best all the time." I sighed. He turned to me. "She would even try dressing me in designers but I never found them as interesting as she did. They weren't any good for running around and getting muddy and messy."

Jiyong-ssi laughed. I pushed his arm. "Yaaah! Fine, laugh! I won't tell you any more then!"

He stopped laughing. "Okay, okay, I won't laugh, please keep going." He smiled.

"So because my dad couldn't afford her ideal lifestyle, my mom threatened my dad to get a better job, or else she would divorce him. He found a better job, but it was in Seoul."

"You weren't in Seoul?" he asked.

"No, we were in Canada. Ottawa to be exact." I said. He nodded. "My mom didn't like her in-laws. She thought they were out to make her insane. She certainly didn't want to move there. She used my brothers and I as an excuse to stay behind when my dad left to take the job."

"So she never came to Seoul?"

"Not since I was born, no. A year later my dad came back. He was doing great financially. He explained to my mother that she could have everything she wanted-- if she moved. My mother wanted nothing to do with him. She said he betrayed her and didn't care about how she felt or thought."

"And you're sure she's not the evil step-mother those fairy tales warn us about?" he asked jokingly.

I laughed. "She's still my mother, though." I said.

"I'm sorry, go on." he grinned.

"My brothers and I call what happened next the BS. The Big Split. Dad went back to Korea and mom stayed in Canada. They didn't divorce though. They were still legally married. It went on for two years. I couldn't see my dad for two whole years." Remembering the hardest part of my childhood, it made my eyes glisten.

"Hey." he whispered. "Don't cry. If you're gonna cry, you don't have to tell me."

I shook my head and the sudden movement cause a tear to fall from my right eye. "I'm not crying. And besides, the story's almost over."

He wiped th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter