Gifts

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sung-kyung arrived at Emerald to get ready for the launch that evening. It was finally here. The day that was initially supposed to be her big reveal. So much for that plan. How could she be happy when it felt like Kai was lost forever. He was just as confusing as he was back in school. Hot then cold. 

She stared at the marble floors. They’d waited for the marble for ages. There were fights over this marble. Tears threatened to spill. Oppa, where are you? How could you leave me alone like this? Even when she hated him, even when she didn’t understand what his plan was, Kris and Tao had always been there, even when she was Zara. Back then, it had been the three of them against the world. They’d told her countless times to not lose focus. To get the job done. Well - the job was done and she had nothing to show for it. Same old. 

“You’re not crying are you?” 

She whirled around, “Sehun..ah…” He rolled his eyes, “What are you doing here?” 

“How did things end off with Kai after we left?” 

“Kaiah said he can’t leave Lilly Kim. He’s going to marry her cause he made a commitment and you know how stubborn he can be.”
Sehun dissected her words, “So he doesn’t love her? He’s just doing this cause he made a promise?” 

“Basically, yeah.” Sung-kyung shrugged and went about checking the store. A runway was already constructed right out on Chen’s precious Emerald Walk. Catering, Stylists, Models the works would start filtering in from 4. Despite the drama, it was exciting. This was why she loves fashion. The buzz, the anticipation...and then magic. 

Sehun scanned a rack of specialised cardigans and pulled out an oversized forest green one, “Can I be your first customer?” 

Sung-kyung pressed her lips together to stop from grinning like an idiot. 

Sehun handed over his card, “Good to test out the PayPoint right?” he approached the counter and inspected a pink hair clip displayed in little bowls on the counter, “And this…” 

Sung-kyung ran the purchases. Sehun detached the clip from the packaging and as she handed him the slip and bag, he reached out and gently pushed the clip into her hair, “Chukahae. Just for the record, I would have loved having you as a sister-in-law.” he held up a hand, “No crying. Jeez. I must be losing my touch. I only make women cry.” he took a last look around. Told her how good the store looked and left. 

Sung-kyung muttered under her breath. Isa was right, he really was too capable. As busy as he was, he’d come all this way, just for that. 

***

Haneul read the letter again. She’d read it so many times now. How old school too. For someone to send a letter when they could have just emailed or texted but it apparently formed part of some project. 

“Haneul.” Kyungsoo called from the lounge, “Should I give you a lift to Emerald?” he popped his head into her workshop when she didn’t answer, “Hello...my training ran late this morning. Your Sunbae overslept. So my whole schedule is messed up anyway.” 

Haneul hastily hid the letter under the store inventory and twisted on the high stool to face him, “That way you can just stay over at Finite and we don’t have to worry about an extra car.” 

“Give me five minutes?” 

Kyungsoo grabbed her hand as she passed, “Hey...you seem…” he studied her face, “kwenchana?” he settled on asking. 

Haneul pulled her hand free, “Everything’s fine.” she forced a smile, “I won’t take long.” she disappeared into her bedroom. 

Kyungsoo stared at the workstation. He could make out the piece of paper she had so obviously tried to hide. She was such a ditz sometimes. 

*

Haneul went into her dressing room and kneeling by her shoes, reached to the back of the bottom row and pulled out a shoebox. Inside, were the stress relievers she’d started taking. Sure, it felt great to have put an end to a psycho but coupled with the guilt she felt over being with Kyungsoo caused her to feel on edge. 

Kyungsoo grabbed the bottle from her hand and inspected the label. Haneul slowly rose, “It’s just something to help me through the day.”
“Said the drug addict.” Kyungsoo returned smoothly, “Since when do you need to take pills?” 

“Like how would you know oppa?” Haneul put on the airy no care, Seoul private school accent, “Chill. Ara?” 

“Ara?” he produced the letter, “When were you going to tell me about Kim Mi-sun’s letter?” 

“It’s mine!” she snatched it from him, “How dare you go through my things!” 

“I was concerned. I don’t just go through people’s personal belongings.” 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter