Welcome Home, Chairlady

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The car entered the main gates and they were back home on her beloved Song Estate. It didn’t feel different driving along the gravel driveway. Seeing the gardeners with their big straw hats busy on the lawns and as they rounded the last bend, the tip of Baekhyun’s tower could be seen through the trees, the sun breaking through and hitting the roof of the car. September’s heart started to race as the house came into view. “Just pretend like everything is the same,” she told Sehun. 

Sehun didn’t say anything, too busy on his phone. As soon as they’d stepped off the plane, he’d turned his phone on and it was like a Christmas carol with all the beeping and dinging. September realised then that the honeymoon was over. It was Monday. She would leave on Friday. She really hated that phone. 

Happiness was fleeting. 

The household staff stood outside to welcome back the Director. September automatically neatened her hair and buttoned the imperial purple Song Estate blazer, “Ready, Director?” the car pulled to a smooth stop in front of the walkway. Sehun watched her try to pull off the wedding ring. “Keep it on.” 

“What if someone thinks I stole it?” September struggled with the ring, she was getting flustered as the footman stepped up and opened the door.

“I said…” he placed a firm hand over hers, “Keep the damn thing on.” 

“Welcome home Chairlady.” the door was opened and they didn’t have time to finish their argument. September tried to hide the ring. Ren bowed together with Haida. It was then she realised they were bowing at her. She watched shocked as all the staff bowed. Ima and Mari were waving their teatowels and the chambermaids with Hana in the lead cheered. The gardeners rushed up and threw petals at them and the butlers, drivers and footmen whistled. 

“What did you say?” she whispered, “Please get up…” she yelped when Sehun lifted her into his arms. 

“How many more houses do I have to do this for?” he teased and walked down the path and into the house. 

“What are you doing?!!!” she hit his chest, “Director…put me down...everyone is staring...” 

The staff followed, it was loud and there was music playing out in the garden. Sehun didn’t stop until they were out on the terrace. Only then did he set her on her feet, “Welcome home Chairlady!!!” the eruption of voices and people was more than she could take. A blur of familiar faces as the whole household emptied out onto the lawns. From the second and third floors, girls flung rose petals out the windows. 

Chanyeol played River Flows In You on the piano that had been moved from the music room out on the terrace. Arran and Baekhyun stood with their mother and the Chairlady, knowing smiles on their faces. 

Kyungsoo stepped up first, “I’m sorry I couldn’t be there for the actual day. I heard he didn’t give you much choice,” he hesitated, awkward with their new situation, he laughed abruptly, ran a hand through his hair and pulled her into an abrupt hug, “Welcome to the family Isanie.” he withdrew just as quickly and went to take over from Chanyeol at the piano. 

Chen was less shy about it and kissed her on both cheeks. “I knew it of course,” Sehun rolled his eyes, “And…” he lifted a finger… “My wedding gift.” he pulled out a small emerald green envelope. 

“I don’t think I can accept…” she looked at Sehun for guidance. 

“The Chairlady of the Song Estate won’t accept the Min Estate’s gift…” Chen frowned, “What do I do?” 

September held out her hand quickly and he grinned, watching as she opened it. “Anything…” she read and turned the card over, “Everything?” it read on the other side, “...what does it mean President?”
“He’s showing off,” Sehun muttered. 

“Come by sometime this week and as the card says, “Anything you want, be it everything you want, within the flagship mall - you like fast cars right? We’ll test drive some. See what you like. ” 

Her eyes were wide and she couldn’t resist smiling. 

“That’s the face I love the most,” Chen told her. 

“Why don’t you make it your slogan.” Sehun continued to grumble. 

September was still in shock, “how could you tell everyone?” she demanded when Chen joined Kyungsoo and Chanyeol and they started fooling around on the piano, “This is too much. There’s no way they accept me as your wife…so quickly” 

“I don’t remember saying I’d keep it a secret,” Sehun replied as he sipped on champagne. Not even affected. Not understanding how overwhelming this was for her. He thought she’d be pleased maybe, or like some princess in a story but until a couple of days ago she’d been the help.

He turned to face her, “I wanted you to experience what it feels like to be Chairlady of this estate. I didn’t want you to be denied anything. I want these memories to keep you warm at night - no matter where you are.” September blinked furiously, “Haji ma…” he lifted a finger in warning, “You can’t cry here. They’ll beat me up.” he shoved a glass of champagne in her hands, “Go say hello to Omma and Halme

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter