Proper Goodbye

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At 6 pm Xiumin and September excused themselves. “Are you going to Kim Sana’s farewell?” Sehun asked. He was coming down the stairs after changing into something more comfortable for dinner.

“Yes. Sana ssi is leaving tomorrow.” Xiumin explained.

Sehun nodded, “I didn’t really get a chance to know her but send my regards.” He told September, “I’m sure she’ll make a success wherever she goes.”

“Wait.” Sung-kyung rushed up to them, “Can I go with?” she asked Sehun. “I know you said to keep a low profile but…”  

“She was your friend and Kai knows you’re back, so I don’t see why not.” He caught September’s eye, “Bring her back in one piece.”

September nodded and waited for Sung-kyung to pull on her jacket. “We were roommates at one time. Like back in the day.” Sung-kyung was a little tipsy from all the Cava Baekhyun gave her. “The stories I could tell you!” Sehun shook his head as the footman closed the front door. He could still hear Sung-kyung talking September and Xiumin’s ear off. For now, her worry over Kris was forgotten. But not for him. He walked out onto the lawns and approached the table. Chanyeol, Taeyoon and Minah had joined them.

“What’s wrong?” Arran whispered.  

“Everything.” she pressed her forehead against his shoulder. Sehun kissed her head and then forced himself to listen to Baekhyun. His brother was finally openly talking about Hyeran. Everyone at the table was thoughtful as they tried to remember Hyeran. Most felt guilty for the way they’d never made a real effort to know her beyond being Baekhyun’s wife. They were a closed-off bunch, concerned with each other. It was hard for the outsider. Kyungsoo thought about Kim Sana. He should have done more. He realised it too late. He looked across the table. Haneul sat in-between Arran and Minah. She met his eyes. Smiled. His heart skipped a beat.

***

Sana opened the door. “About damn time!” she scolded Xiumin and September. “Get in here”

Xiumin and September entered the apartment where Suho and Suri were already enjoying the snacks and drinks on offer. And there on her doorstep was the last person Sana expected to see. Lee Sung-kyung with balloons clutched in her hands.

“What the hell!!!???”

Sung-kyung hugged her fiercely. “Unnie,”

“You loser! What are you doing here?”

“Do you even have to ask?” Sung-kyung asked as Sana led her inside the apartment, “Nice digs. I see Finite pays well.”

Sana soured at the mention of Finite. “You came back for Lee Jongin?”

Sung-kyung blushed.

“And you guys!” she glared at the House Masters, “How could you guys not tell me?”

“It’s not their fault.” Sung-kyung defended. “Song Gaelin swore everyone to secrecy.”

“Urgh I don’t want to know. What those people do is not my concern anymore. I am free!” she took Sung-kyung’s hands, “Come. I want to introduce you to Mi-sun.”

“Your sister!” Sana nodded happily.

***

“You should go,” Haneul whispered to Kyungsoo.

“A little later. Baek needs us here.”

Haneul sighed. She knew Kim Sana was leaving Seoul tomorrow. September had told her. Why was Kyungsoo pretending like he didn’t care? Was it for her benefit?

She stood up and walked away from the table.

“What’s wrong?” he followed her.

“I’m not a kid. I know you had a relationship with Kim Sana. A relationship that spanned 10 years. Just because we’ve realised an attraction to one another, it doesn’t mean those 10 years disappear.”

Ky

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter