Logistical Issues

Golden Quill - The Leaders (GQ3)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jimin sat at the head conference table and smiled graciously at the young Mika who served his tea. She blushed and rushed to her place behind Yimin’s seat. Jimin’s’ sword, enclosed in a white sheath to match his suit, rested against his chair. They were all aware he’d come alone but that sword was famous across the world for the devastation it left in its wake. 

Everyone was present, even Yifeng had been called back to attend this emergency sitting. Jimin poured out his tea and let it rest. “I’m…” he looked up and found them all staring intently at him. No one dared speak. “I am only here to deliver the invitations to compete.” Jimin explained and looked at the two envelopes sitting on the table in front of him, “They are for Wu Yifan and Lee Baekhyun. This is for the Golden Quill competition called up by Lee Soo-hyuk.” 

Yifeng shifted. He was finding it hard to listen to this Golden Quill crap. 

Jimin waited but no one spoke. This was the same reaction he got all over the world. People treated him like a Dokkaebi instead of a judge, “Do you accept?” he directed the question at Baekhyun.

Baekhyun looked at Kris, seated across the table from him. 

“Has everyone else confirmed?” Sung-kyung finally broke their silence.

Jimin smiled gratefully at her, “unfortunately Lee Sung-kyung I am not allowed to confirm competitors. It is to avoid intimidation before the Competition.” 

“Ah…” Sung-kyung frowned down at the envelopes, “Oppa don’t…” she clutched Kris’ hand under the table. 

“Sung-kyung…” he looked down but saw only worry in her eyes. “It won’t be like the Zhang Competition. I promise.” He looked across the room at Baekhyun and nodded, "Ready?" Baekhyun nodded firmly. 

“Wait…” Yifeng held up a hand before Kris and Baekhyun could accept, “There’s a slight logistical issue isn’t there?” 

“You mean the fact that you’re keeping them here against their will?” Jimin mentioned easily. 

“Well, I made a deal,” Sung-kyung whispered furiously looking down at her lap, but Jimin heard and pressed his lips together so he wouldn’t laugh. 

Yifeng exchanged a look with Yixing. Was there nothing these judges didn’t know. 

“Your competition is scheduled to take place in 24 days.” Jimin brought out his phone. 

“There are…” Yifeng was about to tell him the no phone policy but Jimin held up a hand. Yifeng grew silent. Yimin hid a smile. It was good to see someone pushing his brother around. 

“So how about this...let’s see who survives your competition and then I’ll come back to finalise the details of the Golden Quill.” 

Everyone was silent again. How harsh. Harsh but true. 

“Right,” Jimin picked up the first envelope, “Lee Baekhyun. Will you compete? And, I really must make this clear - once you withdraw, I cannot allow you back in - no exceptions.” 

“I will compete,” 

Jimin looked at Kris.

“I will compete.” 

Jimin slid the envelopes across the table. Baekhyun caught his. He met Park Jimin’s wise, but friendly eyes. “Baekhyun ssi?” Baekhyun nodded, “Will you walk me to my plane?” 

“Uh…” Baekhyun looked to Yifeng for permission. 

“Baekhyun ssi…” Baekhyun looked back at the judge, “As soon as I stepped onto this island, my word outranked everyone else.” 

Baekhyun met the judge at the head of the table and they walked outside and into the cool afternoon air. “They are all probably watching from the window,” Jimin remarked. Baekhyun grinned and nodded. 

“I knew you would come!” Baekhyun pulled out the competition rules from his inner pocket, “It says so here. You have to deliver invitations in person. I knew that you’d find me, no matter where I was in the world.” 

Jimin took the manual from him. It was crumpled and the pages looked weathered. There were notes and highlighted sections. “How many times have you read this?” 

Baekhyun ran a hand through his hair, he smiled sheepishly, “I was stuck on that ship for 10 days.” 

“Did your brother give this to you then?”

“Who? Sehunah?” Baekhyun clutched Park Jimin’s arm, “Have you seen him? Is he well? Did he get my message? Will Sehunah compete. Tell him that I miss him…” 

They were on the beach now. Jimin turned to admire the ocean “Always thinking about other people. That’s why you boarded that ship.” They faced each other, “But the Federation does not look lightly on being used. You used the rules to get me here.” 

“You know everything right?” Baekhyun looked at his feet, “Then you know about Isa.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter